OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold & Burris Euros

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold & Burris Euros
    Posted: February/23/2011 at 23:29
Any feedback or opinions on the Leupold Euro 30's and the Burris Euro 30's? Are they good in low light?
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 06:25
I can't comment on each idividual model, but if you are wondering if the 30mm scopes offer any more low light performance over each companies comparable inch model, the answer is NO.  The 30mm models only give you more adjustment range, not low light performance.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 08:03
you do gain a little bit more strength in the tube of a 30mm as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:00
Wouldn't the larger internal lenses in a 30 also allow for better resolution due to a potentially better swwet spot in the lenses? Better resolution will often lead to a beeter precived image as it gets darker. I have a Burris ED and it's a great scope. I couldn't tell a huge difference in optical performance between it and my Nikon during the day but at night the margin was noticable. It's my 1st 30mm scope and if anything I think the bigger tube just looks tough!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:48
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Wouldn't the larger internal lenses in a 30 also allow for better resolution due to a potentially better swwet spot in the lenses? Better resolution will often lead to a beeter precived image as it gets darker. I have a Burris ED and it's a great scope. I couldn't tell a huge difference in optical performance between it and my Nikon during the day but at night the margin was noticable. It's my 1st 30mm scope and if anything I think the bigger tube just looks tough!

In theory, maybe, if you've got the adjustment all the way in the corner somewhere.
In practice, no.

It really depends on overall design and which price point the scope was built to.

As far as the original question goes, Leupold Euro scopes are essentially VX-2 in a bigger tube.  You are paying a fair bit more money for a privilege of having a Euro label.  Optically, the scope is nothing to write home about.

Burris Euro Diamond (I assume that is the one you mean) is currently on closeout, so there are a good deals.  It is a much better scope than Leupold Euro.

ILya
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 11:35
30mm tubes often don't provide more adjustment range. Some do.
A 30mm tube can be made stronger than a 1" but I doubt that they all are made that way.
I don't know why some people continue to think there is a difference in light transmission.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:01
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

30mm tubes often don't provide more adjustment range. Some do.
A 30mm tube can be made stronger than a 1" but I doubt that they all are made that way.
I don't know why some people continue to think there is a difference in light transmission.

they probably think bigger is better would be my guess
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:26
A 30mm tube of similar material and thickness to a 1" tube will be stronger.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic