OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CZ 453 Varmint Fluted 17hmr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CZ 453 Varmint Fluted 17hmr
    Posted: February/23/2011 at 19:35
No pics yet, just picked it up tonight and wanted to share initial thoughts.  It looks beautiful, not a mark on the wood, and the fluted varmint barrel looks great on it.  Wood was not even around the barrel, but inserted a not so thin sheet of heavier paper and even that cleared all the way around.  Bolt is fairly smooth, would rate it about the same as the higher end savage I have.   Fit and finish is far superior to the savage overall though, for only about 150 more. 

Regular trigger is great, so if you are thinking about the 452, I wouldnt hesitate.  The Single Set Trigger is really nice though, once you set not a bit of creep, very low pull.  Ive had Savages with the Target Accu Trigger, would say this is similar at both factory settings, except no other piece to pull first.

It came with a target from 50m, 3 touching, one about 3/4 low and one low right....not impressed by that, hope it was coffee jitters.

Two complaints so far....For some reason when finger is on the trigger, get some bolt handle interference with my knuckle.  Not a huge deal, but none of my other rifles do this, not sure what it is, just have to hold my hands differently.  Second, the allen heads for the rail I bought are so small, none of my allens fit....But this is referring to the CZ rail I bought for it, 20 moa rail.

Anyways, once I get rail and decide what scope I am going with, will post some pics.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 15:38
Finally got to shoot this.  Love this rifle.  I really like the 17hmr round to begin with, but this puts my Savage to shame (sorry, I do own other savages).

Groups with ease, 5 shot under at an inch or under today.  I had just filled up a mag when they called 1 min to change targets, and in probably half that time put 5 into an inch.  Single set trigger is awesome, although a bit hard to push forward, actually have to use other finger, cant push it forward with back of trigger finger.

Anyways, in case anyone cared.  Person I went shooting with promised to get one after seeing and using it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 17:49
Love me some CZ's! ('Cept for those weird ass safeties.) 

Looking forward to your pics!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 18:17
Did someone say c.z.?!?!?!
wooSuperhoo!!!

I LOVE ME SOME TWO (OR MAYBE 5 OR 6).

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/20/2011 at 18:18
No one
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 20:43
some pics under the rifle scope section, under such a thing as too low .....put a viper 6.5-20 on it, liked it a lot.  Was thinking it was too much scope for it, but worked well at range
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 20:52

Edited by JLud - March/20/2011 at 20:54
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 03:28
Thunbs Up
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 15:01
That came together very nicely -  You a are certainly fanning the flames Ive been wanting a 17 hmr for the last couple years,  I just hate to jump into another caliber.  I have long list of guns that I would really like to own that I dont have and thats definately high on the list.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 15:26
Wes, I went and bought the cheapest savage I coudl find in 17HMR and got a boyds tacticool stock for it as a blem, $60ish.  it is by far one of the most fun guns I have right now.  I grab it more and more all the time now.  I think I havea about $400 in it with optics and it will easily pop crows at over 175yds.  YOU NEED a 17HMR.  Once you have one you will know what I am talking about.  Heck I sold a perfectly good CZ452 because I would never have picked it up anymore because of the 17
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 15:28
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Wes, I went and bought the cheapest savage I coudl find in 17HMR and got a boyds tacticool stock for it as a blem, $60ish.  it is by far one of the most fun guns I have right now.  I grab it more and more all the time now.  I think I havea about $400 in it with optics and it will easily pop crows at over 175yds.  YOU NEED a 17HMR.  Once you have one you will know what I am talking about.  Heck I sold a perfectly good CZ452 because I would never have picked it up anymore because of the 17

you didnt hear me bitching about it did youLaugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 15:31
I know you wont beWink
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 19:47

17hmr is a ton of fun, and easy to be accurate with.  I believe its a must have, really a devastating round for such a small one, and accurate as can be.  No complaints at all with the round, and the CZ is a BEAUTIFUL rifle, this one fluted and with single set for 532 delivered.  Im thinking of a 2nd one as I like it so much, just to sit in the safe.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 21:09
Nice rifle, JLud!  Those CZ's are just about the best bargain available in rimfires!  The only thing I don't like about 'em is the safety is backwards, but they tend to shoot, so I can overlook that peculiarity.

17HMR is a blast!  Everyone should have at least one in their arsenal!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 22:28
I will note one complaint I have....other then the safety.  The bolt angle is low enough, such that to my normal right hand holding position has to be changed.  My trigger finger contacts the bolt, so I have to move my grip lower to overcome that.  Not the end of the world, but annoying. 

I did just buy a Tracker revolver in 17hmr and scoped it, must admit its not that much fun, probably will trade that for another rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic