OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Strikfire red/green Dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Strikfire red/green Dot
    Posted: February/22/2011 at 18:41
I am new to SWFA and I want to know some storys on the Vortex Strikfire Red/Green Dot?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 19:29
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 07:34
The strikefire is an awesome red dot.  I would not hesitate to put it on any of my weapons.  The only recommendation is to maybe look at the solid red dot strikefire.  The illumination control on teh red/green model only has to be pushed momentarrily to toggle from on/off/red/green.  The red only model has to be held for a few seconds. This just helps ensure that you won't toggle it off by accidently just making contact with the button.  Another great option is the SPARC.  If you have any direct questions let me know and I will try to answer the best I can.  I am no expert on them but I spent a lot of time with them both
catalyst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 08:10
I own a strike fire r/g dot, a sightmark red dot, and an aimpoint micro.

Truth be told, I am only marginally impressed with the strike fire. The buttons on the housing are too easy to turn the optic over to NV mode, which you can't really see, and NV mode slowly drains the battery since you think it is off.

I've also read multiple reviews where the control box actually busted off the red dot housing... and looking at mine, it doesn't look incredibly difficult to do. However, it also has a lifetime warranty.

With the Vortex Strike Fire Red/Green dot, the brightness is really poor. I love vortex customer service, but with the poor brightness on my dots, I tried calling vortex to swap this out for a red dot since I had so many issues trying to see my dot during the day, and they wouldn't swap it out  without $50 bucks and the purchase of an ARD. (This isn't entirely a negative because most companies will NOT swap out an optic for any $).

The 2x magnifier is almost worthless because it destroys your field of view. Basically, it takes your view, and cuts it in half. That would be a worthy loss if the magnifier was 4x or 6x, but at 2x, its not worth the loss of FOV for only 2x zoom.

If you are absolutely stuck on getting the Strike Fire, I would also push you towards the Red Dot only.

I first started out with a SightMark red dot on my AR and promptly put the Strike Fire on my AR after reading a bunch of *rave* reviews about it. Once I got it, I wasn't overly impressed and could barely see the dot during daytime use.

With all this being said, I pulled the Strike Fire off my AR for my carbine course, and put my Sightmark back on it... and the sightmark was only like 80 or 90 bucks and is an aimpoint Comp clone and you can get the beefy rubber armor for it. This thing held up to dives, drops, 1000+ rounds, etc and it held a perfect zero.

http://swfa.com/Sightmark-Tactical-Red-Dot-Sight-P47076.aspx
Granted, there is no lifetime warranty, and the Vortex lifetime warranty is great.

Were I in your shoes, and I *had* to have an optic knowing i'd eventually upgrade - I'd buy the sightmark for now, and then save up for an aimpoint or trijicon, and then sell the sightmark later on. I'm selling mine and taking almost no loss because its such a cheap red dot to begin with.

If you're not planning to upgrade ever, get the Vortex, because even if it does break, you're covered under warranty. Toss the 2x magnifier because its worthless. DM Optics makes a really nice flip to side 3x and 4x magnifier on a samson mount for an ok price if you need to magnify your view.

I was in your shoes buying budget red dots for my AR's, and when I got the $ i upgraded them.  If you're addicted to upgraded like most of us, eventually you're going to end up with a better red dot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 09:34
I never had an issue with the strikefires brightness, it worked in all conditions even low light. 
catalyst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:20
The dot worked - that wasn't the issue at all - but the brightest setting was lacking compared to my aimpoint or even my sightmark. Like i said, I had difficulty running the R/G strikefire at a carbine class during the day (full sun), and ended up putting the sight mark back on because I could better see the dot in normal daylight.

For me, the dim dot gave slower acquisition times.

OP, if you're worried about it - find a local seller and test one out. The design for the pure red dot is a bit improved over the version I had, which is why I'd steer you clear of the Red/Green version.

I sold both my Sightmark and my Strikefire to the same guy just yesterday and I'm sure he'll love them both. The R/G dot is neat, and my only real complaint is the brightness when in direct sunlight. At any other lighting, it was fine. Dimmer than the Sightmark, but usable.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:24
I had the same issue with the Strikefire.  I sent mine back for a new one and was still not completely satisfied with the brightness.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
catalyst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:25
with all this being said... i'd steer you towards starting to read up on SPARC reviews. I love my aimpoint micro, and if the sparc is anything at all like that, you'll appreciate the smaller size. Even my Strikefire was a bit bulky.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic