OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need an inexpensive spotting scope comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need an inexpensive spotting scope comparison
    Posted: February/22/2011 at 12:09
I know to many of you the words inexpensive and spotting scope s/b mutually exclusive but it would be nice if there was a comparison artice similar to the inexpensive scope article done by Koskin. In my mind candidates would be the Burris Landmark, Bushnell sentry Celestron 65, Sightron si, Hawke etc. The idea would be aimed at guys like me that mainly want a handy range glass for 100 to maybe 300yd use in viewing targets and saving tromping up and down the range to check targets. The info to have would be comments on eye relief, ease of focus, perceived durability, resolution at 100,200,300 etc etc.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 19:00
I'd like to see the Yukon thrown in as well, cap the price at 200 and give us working folks some good data to use to make a purchase. Excellent suggestion Powderburn. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 20:00
First: It would be nice to know what you deem inexpensive.
Second:  I'd like to point out what a monumental PITA it will be to:
1-  Get samples from all needed scopes.  Whoever does this review may well have to buy some of them and hope the review can get done inside the 30 day return for refund policy.
2-  Find time to do the review.
3-  Find time to write it all up in an intelligent format
4-  Find time to keep up with whatever questions the review generates
5-  Find time to get everything boxed up and shipped
6-  Find the willingness to pay for some shipping
7-  Hope against hope there is some way to get paid for all of this. Big Smile

If you can talk Chris into sending me the stuff, I'll post the review.  Otherwise for lower rate stuff, I'm not real interested.  I will however, point out that the $279.00 Zen Ray Ridgefield 15=45x65 is as cheap as I'd go.  It is certainly able to do what the OP proposed

Edited by Klamath - February/22/2011 at 20:03
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 22:21
Was kinda hoping that it might have already been done in a magazine or online article somewhere. I agree it would be a chore, and as my next spotter will be my first, I'm not the guy to do it. My local range does extend out to 600 yards, but I really don't shoot that far, and usually just walk down and view my targets at 200 yards after shooting. I'm getting lazy and figured it's about time to get a spotter. That Zen Ray would be at the ceiling of what I'm willing to spend to save some effort on foot. 
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 13:50
Neibilly is pretty spot on with the $ range and what I was wishing for. I agree it would be a job but since this is sort of an open discussion I thought why not throw it out there.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 20:54
If you were to peruse some of the older threads on this very forum you would find some of the very information you are requesting.  True, it is not all compiled into one single post but, it's mostly all there.  I have personally written comparison reviews on a number of different scopes in your price range and I have read some very well-written reviews by some of the other regular posters as well.  Now, I admittedly, don't review scopes in terms of "resolving x caliber bullets at y distance," but that's because I'm not really a target shooter. 

The information is all there.  You just have to do some searching to tease it out.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 21:21
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I'd like to see the Yukon thrown in as well, cap the price at 200 and give us working folks some good data to use to make a purchase. Excellent suggestion Powderburn. Thunbs Up

I have a yukon 20-50X50 FLP-style spotter my mom bought me as a birthday gift, because she knows I love optics.

It sucks. Period.

I can almost see a dim, blurry image when I touch my bare eyeball to the eyepiece lens surface.
-Matt
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 22:14

LOL K, scratch Yukon off the list. Big Smile  I ordered a Burris off the sample list this evening. I'm hoping it's decent, not getting my hopes up too high, but am hoping I'm happier than you are with the Yukon. 

Thanks Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 22:19
You're welcome.  If I can save one person from permanent eye damage ...

Which Burris?  I have the little variable 50mm, and like it a lot.
-Matt
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 22:36

This one, hope it's not a stinker. I'd hate to use it in the cold and get my eyeball stuck to it. Big Smile

http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-12-24x50-Landmark-Compact-Spotter-DEMO-B-P2143.aspx

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 07:50
Neilbilly let us know how that turns out for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:09

This one, hope it's not a stinker. I'd hate to use it in the cold and get my eyeball stuck to it. Big Smile

http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-12-24x50-Landmark-Compact-Spotter-DEMO-B-P2143.aspx

I think you are going to surprised how much quality they stuffed in that little spotter.  That is the one I have.
-Matt
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 10:37
Yippee  Thanks Matt. As stated earlier, this one and one more will be 2 for me. Never thought I might need one till I started shooting targets more than critters.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 12:40
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I have a yukon 20-50X50 FLP-style spotter my mom bought me as a birthday gift, because she knows I love optics.

It sucks. Period.

I can almost see a dim, blurry image when I touch my bare eyeball to the eyepiece lens surface.
+1 on the Yukon. Those are OMG horrible optics! Stay far away.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
agksimon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agksimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 04:10
I ordered a Konus 20X60X80 from XXXXXX for $209 plus $12 shipping.  Based my choice on a hundred reviews from various sites and almost everyone gave it five stars. It's supposed to be very superior optics for the price.
I want to be able to resolve 22 holes in the black at 100+ yards.
I'll let you know how it works out when I get it next week.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/18/2011 at 08:28
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 15:26
I have a Barska Benchmark 25-125x88 mm and for checking targets works very well at 200.. IF you were to get a different tripod for it I think it would be much better especially if your range doesnt have sturdy benchs... I paid $100 for it new and for that price you cant beat it to my knowledge... High power does tend to get a bit sketchy (very burry if you dont have your focus set perfect).. Downside to these is the magnification ring is so stiff that with their cheaper tripod you get with it you will most likely loose your target image in adjustment if your not being very careful... The rubber armouring is nice for odd accidents seems to be enough to take a decent impact... The hard case is cheap but effective and looks decent comes with a soft case for hunting... The handle accesory seems worthless at any magnification over 25.. All in all good enough glass for target shooting at least up to 200 (all the bigger the dinky range here is) Protection on it good accesories are cheaply done but work...
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 16:28
One of the problems with inexpensive spotters is that they have the most sample-to-sample variation in the sporting optics world (or at  least that has been my experience).

I simply do not have the time to really do a proper test that would involve multiple units of multiple scopes.

If you want a small spotter to carry with you there is a rather inexpensive 15-30x50 Minox that is surprisingly decent (and I have seen a couple of samples).

As far as $200 and under spotters go.  I am not aware of anything remotely decent in that price range unless you can go look through a bunch of samples and find a particular "cherry" piece.

ILya
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 16:31
Think you just said all that needs to really be said ILya...
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 08:39
I've only owned two spotting scopes but I've looked through a few. The conclusion I have come to is that spotting scopes that are affordable really are not good enough quality to do what I want them to do.
The one I have that I use now is this but its really marginal about the only thing I can say good about it is it comes in a nice case which is very handy and its OK at 100 yds 200 is really pushing it past that you better walk up to the target.
Burris 20-60x80 Landmark Spotter Burris 20-60x80 Landmark Spotter
Stock # - 300119
  • Long Eye Relief
  • Waterproof
  • Fog Resistant
  • Hard Case & Tripod w/ Purchase
$244.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/18/2011 at 08:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 08:40
One of my friends has this one and I liked it a lot better so if you can spend a little more this is the one I would recommend.
Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7122
  • Green
  • Angled
  • Comes with Camera Adapter and Carrying Case
$319.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/18/2011 at 08:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic