OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leupy mk41-5x choice for light carry whisper rifle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupy mk41-5x choice for light carry whisper rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 08:39
72 moa yes I will need it all. maybe a few more so I'm not banging away at the end of travel and stretching screw threads.

What I would see thought a FFP 1-4x  at 25 yrds on 1x is what I would see at 4x at 100 yrds.....correct???
Or have I Whacko goofed up on this one too???

I took some butcher paper out and drew up a few reticles on 1 or 1.5x of the scope I'm figuring on.

Shocked  They are huge circles Smile  don't know how you couldn't see anything with them at all. The mildot recticle on the SS would be quite usable for close stuff.

Barra

barrabruce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 08:41
Thanks for the link I got the info needed  308 sav.

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 18:18
Originally posted by tabeast tabeast wrote:

Not that it makes any difference - and not to be a nit picker - but the concept of a milliradian is very much related to the metric system.  Any quantum that is a base 10 decimal variant of a parent unit is a metric system.  Who cares - well, that is a good question. 

the main feature of the metric system is the use of a standard set of inter-related base units and a standard set of prefixes in powers of ten that could be used to derive larger and smaller units from the base units

Not to be a nitpicker - but where is the base unit and quantum that you are speaking of when referring to mills. To my knowledge 10 mills does not equal anything besides ten mills. and .1 mill is just that, it is .1 mill. Please tell me where the base 10 decimal of a parent unit is.

It is 1/6400th of a circle. The fact that a mill based turret breaks it down by .1 can not be your bassis. That would be like you saying inches are metric based because my calipers read in tenths, hundreds, and thousands of an inch. 

Now maybe you are thinking that the relationship of the lineal dimension of the opposite side of the triangle with a one mil angle is 1/1000s of the distance of the leg of that triangle. So yes mathematically the relationship is a base 1000 relationship. But by no means is the angular measurement of a mill a "quantum that is a base 10 decimal variant of a parent unit."

Edited by 308 Sav - March/25/2011 at 18:52
Gerald Baker
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 22:42
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 06:46
Another route Iv'e thought of is a leupy v3 1" with a M1 turrent on it.  $ 460.
No zero stop but the marks will tell me where it is.
1/4 moa be small enough!!!!
 Cheat sheet on stock. range . dial up and shoot.
No fuss simple  reticle a 1.5x for close stuff.
Good to @ 100yrds for quick shots on a 3-4" target.
120 moa travel= 60 + the post on 4x = 11.6" I thunk just gets me there.

May have to fudge the base and gain another 5-10 moa.

Me old scope had 135 moa total= 68 so my base must have about 4 moa on it.

The 30mm illum luepy 1.5-5x  be about $660 with M1 heavy enough to be in with the  others too much maybe.
V3 $460 same glass as Mk4 ???  lightest  simple for simple me.
PST $500   = equivalent v 2.5 glass    +++sh*t loads travel
Mk4 $860=  ++nice dot on low   - mil &  moa no way of knowing how many turns form zero I'm at after a while.
ss $800= dunno think the line be too thin for me at low and spacing too wide. + good glass.

Big Smile 
Barra

Now how am I going???

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 09:52
Are your dope numbers based on experience or on a ballistics calculator?

If from a calculator, you gotta lotta shooting to do!

The IOR mentioned previously has 15 mils of drop on the reticle (which is why I liked it for Whisper.)
It may be beyond your budget.

Be very careful with subs.  If you don't see an impact on paper or dirt, always check the bore.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 10:31
Iv'e only shot 1500 or so out of it with this load.
 Hell I'm getting low on this tin of bullseye may havta buy some more in the next few months.

This is my  favorite cast bullet load for this rifle.
172 cast 30 cal flat point in soft or hard alloy ...don't seem to make much difference.
From hot summer to winter ..yes I have to drop in a 1/10 of a grain or 2 extra powder to get it back up flying again.

It shot better and a tad flatter with a Rn but I buggered that mould up trying for the ultimate!!!!!Bucky
May hone out another mold sometime but I think the Ft point will do more damage than just drilling though critters.
 I usually don't do those condom bullets in me gun except for high velocity stuff where I could use the 3/4 moa and extra punch.

guaranteed 25 yd zero
100 yrds    11 moa
215 yrds    39 moa
327 yrds/300 mtrres 72 Moa. at that range about 1" per 1 knot full wind.( I shoot the gong a lot bang.............wait for it.....donnng ..heee heee heee ) annoys the crap out of the magnumitis people.

Barra

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 11:27
Ohh I need not worry about sticking a bullet.
With 1 1/2-2 grains of bulleye it pops them out the end o.k. Just like a big pellet gun.
Maybe handy  for a backyard anoyance. I still wouldn't wanna be in front of it.

The ior is a bit out of my league.
In fact this will be the most expensive scope I have bought.
Probably at least 2-3x as much as the rifles apparently worth.

And to think it will go on a bitza NEF/ Handi rifle with a pre 84  30-30 barrell that was buggered  by the gang reamer just in front of the chamber.
Lapped and honed...refitted properly to the action...trigger job and found how it likes its bedding.
Ohh yeah the for-end screw attaches at the node point near the muzzle which don't hurt none either.
Ugly as sin.
Compact enough when disassembled and the 410 barrel should be good for snakes or such.

Ooops!! back to the job at hand.

Nothing around these parts to poke your peepers  through to  have a look at.
The odd leupy...if your lucky!!!

At the range I have seen a few leos and a very odd tricom  more than quite a few weavers n such but nothing with a "knob" on it under 3-9x  mostly target scopes up to 36x for the .22lr benchrest. A lot of people buy the 4-27 zillion scopes thinking there gun will shoot better. But anything over 8-9x here and the mirage will beat you when the sun's out except for a few weeks in the middle of winter.
On those days when its calm weather you can see some of those rare and endangered 1/2 moa shooters.
They must hybernate for the other 50 weeks of the year!!!

Howdy   I found this site around a year or two ago. Me 'ol scope was proof of concept. Now I need the real deal.

Barra
Howdy

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 04:08
g'day all

After throwing the runes in the air...looking at tea leaves and spilling a bit of chicken blood.

I've decided to go with the leupold MK 4 1-5x illuminated latest model.
It was a tough decision next to the Viper vortex.

Scope mounts   ERRRggghhh I've been looking.

Can anyone help please

I have a base to ring height of absolute minimal 8.6mm or 0.338" in the 'old money.

Been looking through stuff and looking up makers sites  Shocked not that easy to find something close to that. Maybe 0.400" or 10mm.  Any suggestions????

Any help muchly appreciated
Barra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic