OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver K4 6x38, good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver K4 6x38, good?
    Posted: February/20/2011 at 22:19
I need a good scope for my AR15 .223, I'm looking at the Weaver. I haven't seen any bad reviews, is it a decent scope for 100-200yds?
Thanks.
Blind in one ear, can't see from the other!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2011 at 22:38
First off, that guy or gal in your pic is gonna be wearing a patch.... :)

Anyways, what you looking at doing, how much you planning on spending?  I just recently picked up the Burris Tac 30 1-4 illuminated, and for 300 bucks would be great for that range, unless your on a varminter or looking for just target shooting.  Since you mentioned a 6x, not sure if 1-4 fits, but if it does, this seems to be a great scope.

There are a couple threads with reviews and pics already on them if you think that would be something you were interested in.  You can use it on 1x with both eyes open as well, glass is very good, an exceptional value at 300.

Otherwise most here would steer you to the Super Sniper fixed 6 or 10 power, both around 300, people here swear by em.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 16:57
Unfortunately, I'm a bit limited fundwise right now, having just spent a bit on my AR build.
I have a $100 WalMart gift card, and am trying to get the best bang for the buck out of it, so anything much more than $150 will have to wait.
I just need to get something halfways decent on it for now, and if it lasts, it's a bonus.
These are a couple others I've considered, a Tasco 2.5-10x42 illuminated, or 6-24x42 illuminated.
The Bushnell Banner 1-4x32. There's a few others in my price range, but these are the ones that catch my eye. Feel free to recommend others.
Thanks.
P.S. It's OK, she'll be fine.Ouch
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 17:37

If $150 is your absolute tops your best to go with a basic scope.  From the scopes I see they sell in the store or from ones you can order I'd suggest one of these.

Weaver K4
  Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 w/DOA 600 reticle
  Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 w/std plex reticle

These are good scopes that should give you good service.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 19:17
I do like that  Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 w/DOA 600 reticle with the "Bone collector" logo.Cool
Would it be worth going to the 4-12x40? I'm trying to find an online WM coupon.
I have a 3-9X32 Bushnell on a Ruger .22magnum bolt, that is OK, but a little more power would be good.
Oh yeah, the Weaver is the K6, my bad.
Probably most of my shooting will be in the 100yd range, with a few attempts at 200, just to see if I can.
It would be nice to be able to see where the hits are.
I'm no kid anymore, at 52,  my eyes just aren't what they used to be.Whacko
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 20:39
  If only shooting out to 200yds or so you won't neeed that DOA reticle.  I'd go with the 4-12x40.  Those Trophy series scopes have always been known for being good tough scopes with optics that are decent for their price range.  But at 63yrs old I'll tell you this.  A higher priced/quality scope is the best thing you can do for your eyes to improve target image and therefore your shooting.  If your able to and decide to upgrade in the future give us a chance to help you out.  Meanwhile let us know how things work out.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 21:43
I don't need an extra 11 years added to me just yet Shocked
Thanks for the info. At some point I would like a better scope, I just need something inexpensive for now.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 16:03
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 20:42
I have to confess to having very little scope experience, which is why I ask questions. I shot a ton of woodchucks when I was younger, with a pump .22, with a scope but I don't remember what power it was. That was in the 70's, and it was likely not variable.
The 3x9x32 on my .22 WMR is adequate at 100yds, and I assume any 3x9 would have the same magnification, (right?) which is why I'd like to have more power for out to 200yds+.
I understand the Redfield and Burris are fairly good, but am a bit surprised to see the Sightron on that list, especially with a good review. I thought Sightron was a lower quality clone.
I also noticed NOT recommending anything over 9x, why is that?
Noticed no Bushnell Trophy XLT on there, they are in the price range.
Being that this is going to be sort of a "starter" scope, I'm even looking at some used ones.
Is a Pentax GameSeeker 4-12x40 or a Remington 4-12x40 worth much? Either of those is under $50.
My questions are more for what to avoid,  I know it's impossible for someone to say "buy X, that's the right one for you".  I'm guess I'm sort of looking for a list of good choices that I can pick from.
Right now, at the top of my list is the Bushnell Trophy XLT, either 3-9x40, or 4-12x40, or the Weaver K6x38. I wish I could try them each, and go from there.
Oh yeah, the reason for the $150 range is due to the $100 gift card for Walmart, and about $50 out of pocket that I can swing right now.
Once again, thank you to everyone trying to educate me.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 20:51
Nikon Prostaff at 100 bucks or so on clearance is great buy, think they are very bright on the 3-9.. worth a look
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 17:34
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Nikon Prostaff at 100 bucks or so on clearance is great buy, think they are very bright on the 3-9.. worth a look

On clearance where?  I can't find it.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 22:27
emmmm if they still have them here cant go wrong with buying from swfa....

If they are all out, just google it, think C
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 12:58
Well, I just found out I can "sell" my $100 gift cards for $92.  That opens me up to more options.
I was looking over the SampleList and the ebay auctions, and it looks like I can get a pretty good scope for the money.
So, for $150 or less, here are a couple I think look good, feel free to suggest others.
Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Nikoplex  $109.95
Pentax 3-9x40 Pioneer Penta Plex  $124.75
Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster  $149.95
Nikon 3-9x50 ProStaff   $139.95
Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire  $79.95

Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 13:08
Just found a couple others,
Vortex 4-12x40 Crossfire $129.95
Pentax 4-14x40 Gameseeker $128.95
Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy XLT $149.95 (the one I was going to order from WM)
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:16
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:41
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

This one:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10818.aspx
ding ding ding, we have a winner
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 18:14
OK, why?  It's a bit underpowered for long range shooting, (150yds+), isn't it?
It's a little over budget, which just means I'll have to put off buying it for an extra couple weeks.
My intent is to have a scope for longer shots, and a red dot/hologram type sight for short stuff.
Would I be better off to just go with a StrikeFire, and forget the scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:25
The viper has much better optical performance than the other scopes you listed.  As far as range, I was ringing an 8 inch steel plate at 300 yards with mine without problem.  IMO the 2-7 is the perfect magnification for an AR style weapon and shooting out to 300 yards, and more than capable of much, much further.
-Matt
Racer9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:39
OK. Please explain why a  2-7 beats a 3-9. Does the better glass give you better vision, magnification, or what? I just don't understand. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 21:17
Better glass beats more magnification every time.  You can see more with a good 7x than a mediocre 9x.  It is also easier to hold a less-magnified image steady (especially off-hand, which is common with ARs), which leads to better shooting. 

Our troops overseas are making extended range hits with fixed low magnification Acogs on M4s.

I shoot an Eotech out to 300 yards without trouble, but would like the added precision of moderately magnified scope for targets out to your described ranges. I think a 1x-4x variable would do everything you want, but the best one is out of your price range:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48372.aspx

I really think you would like the Viper.  I have one on a 7-08 and would be more than comfortable with it out to 600 yards or so.  I don't feel the need for any additional magnification.

-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic