OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another Steiner 7x50 mm question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackseep24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Steiner 7x50 mm question
    Posted: February/19/2011 at 20:30
I have a pair of M22 military hand-me-downs I use relentlessly for work.  I love the clarity and infinity focus of the binos for the work I am doing but they have seen better days.  Steiner said it would be around 140 dollars to replace the rubber armor and beyond that they would have to let me know.  Is it worth refurbishing these binos or would I be better off buying a brand new pair?  I've seen civilian 7x50 for around 300, but are they the same.
Do something! Anything! Even if its wrong!
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 21:24
Hi blackseep24,
Short answer, they are not close.
The civilian glasses are less rugged and generally built to a lesser standard than the MilSpec gear.
You need to splash out a lot more dosh to buy something  such as the Fuji FMT, which is probably even better optically and superb mechanically.
Afaik, the Steiner M22 was not very easy to repair, so if  you think Steiner will have to open the glass, expect it to cost you plenty.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 21:42
Originally posted by Blackseep24 Blackseep24 wrote:

I have a pair of M22 military hand-me-downs I use relentlessly for work.  I love the clarity and infinity focus of the binos for the work I am doing but they have seen better days.  Steiner said it would be around 140 dollars to replace the rubber armor and beyond that they would have to let me know.  Is it worth refurbishing these binos or would I be better off buying a brand new pair?  I've seen civilian 7x50 for around 300, but are they the same.

Steiner has quite a few different models of 7x50 bino's. The one you currently own has a 30 yr warranty and they are substantially stronger than their 7x50's that carry a 10 yr warranty. The only real difference between the M22 and say a Commander V is the reticle in the M22 and I believe the M22 has a provision for filter adapters on the objective lense's. Other than that, they are the same build quality wise. In other words, look through their 7x50 models that carry a 30 yr warranty in their "civilian" line.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/19/2011 at 21:44
Blackseep24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackseep24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2011 at 17:39
Thanks for the input.  I believe them to be mechanically sound so it boils down to a cosmetic issue.  However, I have never been fond of the laser filters on them but If I remove them the protective caps will no longer fit.  What to do, what to do.  I wonder if steiner would give me a set of empty filters that would allow the rubber armor to fit correctly without having filters.
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2011 at 21:02
If your only issue is cosmetic, you should save your money.
Binocs simply acquire character as they get more worn, as long as they are optically and mechanically sound.
My favorite example is the 10x50s carried by Chandler Evans, a well known ornithologist of the USGS.
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/whatsnew/events/robbins/bio.cfm
They speak of a lifetime of good service.
Blackseep24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackseep24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 13:30
Yes!  You strike right at the heart of my own internal dilemma. On the one hand, the binos work just fine and spending money on them seems silly.  Other the other hand, the cosmetic issues with this pair goes beyond character in my opinion.  Both eye cups are missing along with one of the plastic focus knobs, but the largest issue is a form of cancer the rubber armor has developed.  The armor seems to slowly be dissolving into a sticky goo.  I have taken a utility knife and cut away the damaged portions but the leading edge will slowly begin dissolving again.  It looks terrible (no big deal) but also makes them unpleasant to hold.  I thought about cutting the armor completely away but the adhesive residue that holds it in place is as bad as the current problem.  I guess I was looking for "what would you do" advice from others to sway my decision one way or the other.

PS I would have posted a picture but Im not smart enough to figure it outWhacko
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 13:43
It seems this pair has some sentimental value to you.  The refurbishing bill may be worth it for that reason alone.
-Matt
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 20:44
Well, it seems you've answered the question.
As Bitterroot says, they have value to you and they do need the cleanup to keep them satisfying to use.
I'd trust Steiner to handle this properly for you.
senshu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 02:22
Hi,
> However, I have never been fond of the laser filters on them but If I remove them the protective caps will no longer fit. What to do, what to do.

I suppose it is already too late to reply to above post, though I recently faced similar situation and resolved, with my old Gulf-war era Steiner M22.

You can see ribbed ring at very front of objective lens, and this is actually the plastic ring screwed in, which keeps the LPF in its position. This ring may be sticked to the housing and difficult to screw away. But still you can remove this ring by bull-force manner by using (-) screw driver or any metal tool. The plastic ribbed ring may be damaged by your bull-force, but it is flexible enough to be back to circle shape by your finger.

Now you can remove thicky LPF, pushing it from beind. Means remove LPF housing from the binoculars before reoving LPF glass. It is really think, so you need not care if you can break it by your bull force.
After removing LPF, it is good to apply some matt blackning inside the LPF housing for better view.

Good luck!

----
Senshu
Tokyo, Japan
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 07:49
Senshu,
 Welcome to the Optics Talk Forum.  Glad to have you aboard.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic