OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Member's Trading Post > Firearms For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"SOLD" Remington 308 5-R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "SOLD" Remington 308 5-R
    Posted: February/19/2011 at 16:47
Remy 5-R Milspec 308, has had approx. 20 rounds fired through it. I have everything that came with it including the box. The rail mount I put on is a TPS as well as the rings with a 3x9x42 SS Scope..
I have  approx. 1,870.00 into it. I will sell it for 1600.00 firm plus pay for shipping to your FFL guy.
 There is not one thing wrong with this rig, it shoots great, not a mark on it either.. My son and I were hitting the gong (450 yards) at the range right after we sighted er in. I simply cannot handle the recoil.  So I may buy a 260 for mid range shooting instead. In fact I just might swap for a 260 or 260 AI IF it was one I like well enough....
Thanks! Jules

Edited by JF4545 - July/01/2011 at 13:57
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 18:11
Julio, you should really try an AR-15 chambered for 6.5Grendel (or identical 264LBC).  It is a very soft recoiling gun that stays supersonic (with the right ammo) out to 1000yards.

I've got a Grendel upper coming my way soon, and if it proves accurate enough, I'll let you know who put it together for me.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 22:14
I wish I had the dough ...
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 21:08
No Pics
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 03:48
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Julio, you should really try an AR-15 chambered for 6.5Grendel (or identical 264LBC).  It is a very soft recoiling gun that stays supersonic (with the right ammo) out to 1000yards.

I've got a Grendel upper coming my way soon, and if it proves accurate enough, I'll let you know who put it together for me.

ILya

ILya,
I will have to take a look and compare ballistics between the 6.5 Grendel and 260.  All I really know is what my Gun Smithe tells me, he builds the 260 in a Bolt Gun in several weights   and flavors of stocks. They (260) are super accurate that he builds and he was shooting Antelope out to a distance that I will only mention to you in a PM, LOL!!!Big Grin
  I would still be interested in a AR, I have a std. 5.56 and a 6.8, but they are not mid range rifles with enough knock down power for what I want. Everything else that I have other than my 7mm-08 kicks to hard for my liking Please do let me know ILYA...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 10:06
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

ILya,
I will have to take a look and compare ballistics between the 6.5 Grendel and 260.  All I really know is what my Gun Smithe tells me, he builds the 260 in a Bolt Gun in several weights   and flavors of stocks. They (260) are super accurate that he builds and he was shooting Antelope out to a distance that I will only mention to you in a PM, LOL!!!Big Grin
  I would still be interested in a AR, I have a std. 5.56 and a 6.8, but they are not mid range rifles with enough knock down power for what I want. Everything else that I have other than my 7mm-08 kicks to hard for my liking Please do let me know ILYA...

260Rem definitely has better ballistics than 6.5Grendel, but it also has a lot more felt recoil.  6.5Grendel has exterior ballistics somewhat similar to 308Win, with recoil that is effectively the same as that for 6.8SPC.  

Of course, the actual trajectory depends on the bullet weight.  I used to have a Grendel rifle and thought that within 500 yards, the slightly flatter trajectory 107gr Scenars was easier to shoot, but for longer ranges, 123gr Scenars were more stable in the wind.  For hunting, 130gr Scirocco is probably a good option as is 120gr Ballistic Tip.  There are also several solid copper bullets from Barnes in the 100gr to 120gr range.

ILya

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 10:15
Realistically for hunting the 6.5 is not going to be much different than the 6.8.  It does have a better BC so it will do slightly better at longer ranges.  But still it is just a mid size bullet launched at modest velocity.  Hunting wise, it is not going to do anything your 6.8 will not do just as well.  

Edited by supertool73 - February/23/2011 at 10:18
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 10:25
Jules, just a thought.  Why not buy a .260 barrel of the same contour and have installed on that gun.  Then sell the 5r barrel for $200 bucks. 

Otherwise, I wish I had the cash I would be all over this sale.  Great price for a excellent setup.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 10:26
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Jules, just a thought.  Why not buy a .260 barrel of the same contour and have installed on that gun.  Then sell the 5r barrel for $200 bucks. 

Otherwise, I wish I had the cash I would be all over this sale.  Great price for a excellent setup.

thats a damn good ideaBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Realistically for hunting the 6.5 is not going to be much different than the 6.8.  It does have a better BC so it will do slightly better at longer ranges.  But still it is just a mid size bullet launched at modest velocity.  Hunting wise, it is not going to do anything your 6.8 will not do just as well.  
Ah so you remember my 6.8 JasonBucky... That RRA Carbine, I will never sell, its just a great rifle for me with a hair more recoil than a 5.56, just a tad more with a 110 gr. Accubond Bullet, its the perfect Coyote Rifle for me and will kill Deer easily as well..
 Sorry! Im getting side tracked!!!!
Once the 5-R is gone, I may just skip the 260 and buy another 7mm-08, I really like this caliber alot, it will kill anything that I will ever hunt including Elk.. And I have no business shooting anything more powerful then a 7 -08 anyway, in my opinion its a superb round and Im grateful for Wes and Ted talking me into buying it.. I think I might like another (7-08) thats more on the tactical side and a longer barrel than 20" just for fun...Thunbs Up

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 22:52
Your going to let it go with the SS?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 17:28
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Your going to let it go with the SS?
Actually Ive grown quite fond of the SS, I love good optics, just as you do Andrew.. I think I may just keep the scope and sell the rifle.....
The 5-R is now for sale without scope for 1000.00 with a new 20 MOA TPS XP Tactical Rail Mount, Value approx. 65.00. Again Rifle has only had 20 rounds down range. Its BRAND NEW!!!

5-R Remy 1000.00 Shipped.

Edited by JF4545 - March/11/2011 at 11:13
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 09:58
Does anyone have a link to the 5-R on Remingtons website,  I can't find it and want to check it out.

Thanks
take em!
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 11:35
http://www.remington.com/  go to bottom of page and click on remington military and remington le it will give spec for rifling.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic