OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner 7x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner 7x50
    Posted: February/18/2011 at 13:03
Hello everybody! (my first post)
I have been looking for an alternative to the Steiner 7x50 Military R with a roof prism and phase coating for a while but I cant find any. Thought I´d ask here for some advice.  The reticle, eye relief(minimum of 18mm) and exitpupill diameter (7mm) are important factors too me. Any advice?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 13:48
This is all that I was able to locate: Porro prism 
http://www.newcon-optik.com/an7x50m22.html

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/18/2011 at 13:49
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 13:50
Welcome to the OT... just a silly question, why are you looking for an alternative to such a fine binocular??  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Harald View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 14:58
Well, since the pricetag aint a factor a wanna make sure I have the best possible equipmnet and the Steiner 7x50 military R might just be that in regards to my personal requirements, just wanna be thourogh. The only negative thing about the above mentioned binocular is that its a Porro. A roof prism with phase coating would have made it less bulky. 
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 17:45
Hi Harald,
Docter still sells the Zeiss Jena 7x40 EDF, with modern coatings.
It is materially more compact than the Steiner, while optically and mechanically superior imo.
It is offered here:  http://swfa.com/Docter-7x40-EDF-Binocular-P48804.aspx

I recognize that you specified a 50mm objective, but note you also were eager to keep the bulk down.
The EDF was built exactly for that reason.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 18:34
Many regard the Fujinon fmtr-sx 7X50 as the best IF porro available in that configuration.  It is also available with a reticle.  I have used the 8X30 in that line and it is a remarkable optical instrument.
-Matt
Harald View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 06:16
Thanks for all the great advice so far.
Right now I have a Swarovski 7x42 and it usually stays in the "dragbag" and is rarely used. I also have an old zeiss 6x30 that is used more often. They are IMHO fairly good optics but not quite up to the task. Especially when it comes to eye relief (protective eye glass wearer) and exit pupil diameter (I wanna be able to use them from a moving vehicle). I was kind of hoping to be able to replace them both by a roofprism 7x50. Maybe I should consider replacing them with two binoculars? One that I keep in the vehicle at all times and someting more compact like the docter 7x40 or pherhaps even a monocular?
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 21:37
Hi Harald,
Just FYI, the EDF was designed to be used while wearing a gas mask, so it has unusually long eye relief, a bit over 20mm.
If you really want a reticle, even though it cuts down close to 10% of the light, you need the military version of the EDF, either surplus on Ebay Germany, or a new knockoff, from IOR.  I do not think Docter still offers it.
Do note that the reticles were used to estimate ranges, by seeing how many lines were covered by a known size target, such as a tank.
If you are hunting, that becomes challenging because you do not know how large your target is. A cheap laser rangefinder is a better solution imo.
Harald View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 16:20

Havent thougt about the reticle cutting down on light... I am well aware of how too use the reticle and trains regulary in estimating ranges and sizes of objects as well as other uses. For me the reticle is an absolute neccesity even if I already have a laser rangefiner (Vectronix PLRF 15), but thanks anyways.

When a loose or damage the laser rangefinder (or find it to heavy or cumbersome) I will still have the reticle.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic