OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield and Leupold One Piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield and Leupold One Piece
    Posted: February/17/2011 at 04:49
All,

I just got off the phone with my old man, who is VERY set in his ways, by the way!

I was telling him about my current plan with my .280 to put a Talley Picatinny base on it with Talley fixed rings, Big Sky scope, etc.

He came in, like he always does, about Redfield bases and rings, etc...just like he always does.  He has Redfield mounts on EVERY single one of his rifles...

Anyway, before I discredit him any further, I thought that I would come in and ask the pros.  Are there any advantages (other than price) to Redfield steel one piece bases over the Talley Picatinny?  I have also noticed that the Leupold steel one pieces seem to look EXACTLY like the Redfields, just more expensive...is there even a difference?

Personally, I like the looks of the Picatinny a little better, but if the Redfields are as good as my dad thinks they are, I'm not sure if I can justify spending the extra coin for a slight edge on looks, especially if the Picatinny line doesn't simply outperform the Redfields.

Thanks
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 11:00
The only 1 pc Redfields I see are the standard Windage Adj bases. I am sure there are many that will disagree with me (as they are they most common bases out there) but I stay away from Windage Adj. bases like the plague. If you want to use the Redfields go with the 2 piece double dovetail and get the Burris Signature Double Dovetail Rings (The Signature D/D bases are also great bases). Otherwise stick with the 1 Piece Picatany Rail.

(Edit) One thing Burris got right is the Signature rings, especially in the D/D configuration as they will correct for mounting issues without stressing the tube and without having to lap them while providing a super strong mount.

Edited by biggreen747 - February/18/2011 at 11:04
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 11:07
Might also look at the DNZ Gamereaper mounts. Haven't used them yet but they look like a good solid mount.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 15:35
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

The only 1 pc Redfields I see are the standard Windage Adj bases. I am sure there are many that will disagree with me (as they are they most common bases out there) but I stay away from Windage Adj. bases like the plague. If you want to use the Redfields go with the 2 piece double dovetail and get the Burris Signature Double Dovetail Rings (The Signature D/D bases are also great bases). Otherwise stick with the 1 Piece Picatany Rail.

(Edit) One thing Burris got right is the Signature rings, especially in the D/D configuration as they will correct for mounting issues without stressing the tube and without having to lap them while providing a super strong mount.

Honestly, the thoughts of windage adjustable bases turns me off, too.

The last thing a man needs is for the setting to change even the slightest degree and miss or wound the kill of a lifetime.

All I needed to hear was one negative opinion to back my theories up.

Talley Picatinny it is.

Thanks.
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic