OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x Break Down...Sell Me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x Break Down...Sell Me!
    Posted: February/15/2011 at 10:09
OK, I have been contemplating de-seating the older, "cheaper" Burris Timberline on my M70 .280 and replacing it with something newer and clearer.

Shoots good...I'm just having an itch to replace it after all these years.

I want a 3-9x and have it down to what I think is four or five choices.  On one hand, I find another 4200 Elite (or the new Elite Series) due to their low cost compared to good quality ratio.  I hear bad things about their Customer Service, but until I have a run-in with them for whatever reason, I will keep that area out of the discussion as I have never had any issues out of any of the Bushnell products I have invested in yet (knock on wood).  And on the other three or four hands, I really like Conquests, Big Skys and what I have heard out of the Vipers.

I have been reading a bit on the SWFA SS model and it seems a bit pricey compared to the competition for what you get...perhaps there is something that I am missing there?

Ok, I know that this is a pretty broad group to choose from, but which, for the money, is the best fit for my .280 REM in ya'll's opinions?

Get Your Popcorn Ready  
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 10:34
I have not looked thru a BS or Viper, I own both a 4200 Elite and Conquest in 3-9X40 and I really like the Conquest for a .280 size deer rifle!  Good eye relief, an excellent low light reticle and good glass!
take em!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 11:04
I think the Sightron Big Sky is a very nice scope. Glass is good, price reasonable, supposedly they do have a hydrophobic coating (like the Bushy) and their CS is very good. Nuff said. Hippie
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 11:40
toss up for me between the zeiss and the sIIBS both are excellent. course all of the scopes you mentioned are great. i love my 4200 i love my viper, if all of them had some sort of hydrophobic coating it would literally be a coin flip for me.

by the way i love love the .280. if you ever decide to sell it let me knowWink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

toss up for me between the zeiss and the sIIBS both are excellent. course all of the scopes you mentioned are great. i love my 4200 i love my viper, if all of them had some sort of hydrophobic coating it would literally be a coin flip for me.

by the way i love love the .280. if you ever decide to sell it let me knowWink

Really, since I already own one, the 4200 shouldn't have even been mentioned, I guess...sorry!

As you all may or may not know, I am attempting to be a low to mid grade quality optics connoisseur; ranging from Tasco World Class, to Weaver fixed scopes of the past, to 4200 Elites to no-name Hunter Wicked Optics variable scopes.  So I am looking to diversify my optics portfolio as much as my high powered rifles are diverse...different scope for each rifle is my goal, as scary as that may sometimes be. 

My dad has told me time and time again; "Son, you found a good one, stick with it!"  Well, like women leading up to your life-long partner, I'm going through them like they won't be made anymore unil I finally end with "The One"!

Ok, now that the 4200 is out of the way and the SS is looking a little to be out of the picture, that leaves the Viper, Conquest and Big Sky.  I don't know for sure what pulled me towards looking at that SS, but something about a tactical scope on my hunting rifle is suddenly not so appealing to me anymore.

Oh, and pyro, the M70 stays with me! Cool

Thanks folks.  

Edited by EchoWhiskeyOne - February/15/2011 at 12:11
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:12
all 3 have excellent cs ( which i know you said dont consider it now) id take either the zeiss or the sightron myself.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:15

all 3 have excellent cs ( which i know you said dont consider it now) id take either the zeiss or the sightron myself.

You're making this easier and easier for me!

I started this thread thinking "Man, really like the Conquest and the Big Sky"...here we are a few posts later and I'm back where I started!

So, since the general concensus thus far has pointed me back in the same place I was a few hours ago...talk to me about these two scopes.

Pros and Cons of the Big Skys and the Conquests...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:23
flip a coin there, they are pretty similar in all aspects, the bs is a 42mm instead of 40mm, other than that they are about the same price, basically same eye relief. the zeiss has a little more fov on 3x. looks like sightron is giving a rebate if you buy a bsII right now if that sways you any. i was really impressed with the zeiss, and i think the bsII is in the same boat.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:28
I have a  280.  Guess what is sitting on it...

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:35
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a  280.  Guess what is sitting on it...

You have to excuse my computer, koshkin...for whatever reason the picture that you include isn't showing up here.

DO tell what it is!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:40
Also, I am digging that holdover reticle for the BS...anybody know what caliber that it is calibrated to or maybe how off that it would potentially be on a .280?

It would be pretty pointless to drop the extra $50 or so on that reticle if it's calibrated on .223s or something of the like.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:41
It is the same scope that was used by tahqua for a while:

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:42
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:43
I cant speak to either the Conquest or the 4200 as I have never used one. I do have a 3-9 Viper as well as a 3-9 SIIB. The SIIB is a classic scope in look and function. No fast focus eyepiece on the SIIB (doesn't matter to me but it may to you) and easily resettable windage and elevation turrets which are unfortunately only marked in 3moa increments and feel kinda sloppy. The Vortex turrets are similar but are spring loaded and marked in 1moa increments which I prefer when dialing elevation changes. While the vortex power ring looks kinda strange compared to the Sightron's conventional ring I prefer it in part because to me the SIIB turns the wrong direction. Both have good glass but IMO the SIIB is a half step ahead of the Viper in clarity and contrast. Either way you really can't go wrong as they are both outstanding scopes in their price range. My SIIB is on a rifle that spends a-lot of time in dark timber and I don't do a-lot of dialing for elevation changes whereas my Viper is on one that is used in more open settings where I do dial more for elevation. I guess I play to the strengths of each scope based on how I use them.

(edit) I should say the SIIB turrets feel sloppy when re-indexing them as compared to the Viper. Actual windage and elevation clicks are precise and crisp on both scopes when adjusting.

Edited by biggreen747 - February/15/2011 at 12:51
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:45

If you ever plan on selling any of them I'd go with the Zeiss. I'm an average Joe schmo hunter and before coming to this board I didn't even know what a Sightron or Vortex was. If I was looking to buy used I'd buy the Zeiss becasue I know their reputation and prior to coming to this board wouldn't even consider the other two.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:48
sightron and vortex have both been around for a long time actually. vortex is better known for their binos probably than anything.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:50
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

If you ever plan on selling any of them I'd go with the Zeiss. I'm an average Joe schmo hunter and before coming to this board I didn't even know what a Sightron or Vortex was. If I was looking to buy used I'd buy the Zeiss becasue I know their reputation and prior to coming to this board wouldn't even consider the other two.

if thats the concern then buy leupold.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:53

There's always somebody willing to pay outrageous prices for average quality because it says Leupold on the side and has a pretty gold ring on it.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 12:56
aint that the truff!Bucky

not to jack this thread, but i bought a varixII in the late 90's for $199.95, recently i saw a scope just like it for sale for $225 and it wasnt nib even.Loco
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 13:07

Even I know Zeiss is a much better scope then Leupold. Most average hunters know or think Zeiss and Swaroski are the cream of the crop. They are still what I would consider a main stream brand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic