OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for CZ 453 Varmint 17hmr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for CZ 453 Varmint 17hmr
    Posted: February/13/2011 at 22:55
Just ordered the 453 tonight.....

Now for rings and bases.....any suggestions for rings, 3/8 inch dovetail?  Saw some Burris ones, not sure what height I would need.

For scope, leaning toward the 3.5x10 fullfield II illuminated thats on clearance.  Dont plan to use at night, but for an extra 50 bucks get the 50mm lense and illum...seems I could use it elsewhere later.

Any thoughts on this combo?  Would med height rings clear it?

Open to other suggestions.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 07:33
CZ actually makes the best 3/8 dovetail rings I have seen.  I would strongly consider having a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever and install a picatinny rail and go from there.  With a 17 if you hunt it at night the illumination would be nice but I think I would prefer a scope with higher top end like a 4-16x.
Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Dual-X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849408
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$309.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 07:40
What's your intended use?
take em!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 08:55
Intended use would be some pdogs, squirrels or rabbits maybe, some targets, and some day a trainer for my boys.  Dont really have any night time plans.  Thought of the Burris because of the sales, and I like the drop system on burris...simple and doesnt get in the way.

Thanks for the input.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 14:18
BKL rings are well liked on rimfire central for the European rimfire rails. SWFA sells them...

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 15:18
For a scope I would recommend one with an Adjustable Objective because you might be shooting as close as 10 - 15 yds and also as far away as 300 yds.  I have a 3-12X40 AO and it works great!  I love to hunt and shoot squirrels with it!  I have mine set on 50 yds and change if I'm going to shoot at longer distances.
take em!
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 16:04
Just sent a U a P/M
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 17:57
+1 Tip69 with the AO.  I wasn't thinking about shooting that close when I initially put a 3x9x40 without an AO.  Turns out at the range when shooting at 25 yds, it is quite important when you don't have it!  As far as an alternative scope suggestion for a rim-fire, the guys at rim-fire central suggested a Mueller APV for a couple of .22 LRs that I have.  I was initially not interested, but they really liked it as a great entry level scope with AO and 4.5 x 14.  I took a chance and bought 2 from SWFA.  Turns out it is a surprisingly good little scope for rim-fire application.  It is at least worth considering for you .17 for my 2 cents. 

http://swfa.com/Mueller-APV-Riflescopes-C135.aspx

Far Beyond Driven
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 04:17
Dual-X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849408

I have several of these on rimfires and I absolutely LOVE them.
rocket View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 12:53
I just purchased the cz 453 varmint flutted, but it hard finding sold rings that are 3/8" x 30mm.
I see you have a one piece mount, i take it doen't interfer in ejecting rounds.
What brand of rings did you buy?
Thanks
smlekid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smlekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 18:28
I think a 17HMR deserves a good scope and a 4-16 would just about be ideal
are there any Bushnell Elites still on sale over there?
bunkerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunkerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 10:25
another vote for the weaver 4-16x42 -- my CZ 452 varmint uses the following setup including the weaver 4-16x42 -- RFT (rimfire technologies) #19010 slide on weaver rail base -- it just slides on the dovetail and secures with set screws -- small marks may be left by the screws but it really works well -- Burris #420521 Signature ZEE rings ( medium - matte black) -- everything fits perfectly -- no interference with bolt lift 
Did Felix ever meet Ignatz?
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 15:55
There is a 1 piece adapter for the 453 you can get, cant remember where I ended up finding it, but you can get it on the CZ website.  I dont believe SWFA carries it, but if they did I probably bought it there as thats where the viper and the rings came from.  They make both a standard and 20moa rail for it, due to the drop past 150 i opted for the 20moa, figured why the hell not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic