OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope flew off and hit me in the face

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope flew off and hit me in the face
    Posted: February/13/2011 at 09:17
I was at shooting competion this weekend, six rounds in my scope flew off and smacked me in the face. Luckily no damage to me, and only a small scratch to my scope.
I sat wedensday night cleaned the rifle and checked that all the screws on the mounts where tight, infact they have been on the rifle since 2006.they are made by a local company called Lynx (www.lynx.co.za) Any ideas why they would come off drastically like that?
I used to have Leupold Ringmounts on and never had trouble with them, I only changed due to the fact that I did not have enough windage with the Schmidt and Bender scope currently on the rifle.

What would you guys say are are the best mounts for a Ruger M77MK2?

Regards Chris

Edited by Glock - February/13/2011 at 09:17
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 10:47
Hi Clock,
Lynx make very good mounts. What exactly came off? Just the scope, the scope with the scope rings or the scope, scope rings and bases??

Maybe some pics to help.

Maybe a build-up of cleaning oils?
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 11:52
Heh 8shots I have a Lynx 1 piece base with rings, the whole base with rings and scope still in place came off. No damage what so ever to rifle, definately not ammo related.

Had a look after I posted. If I hold the front of the base flat on the rifle there seems to be a half a mm gap between the base at the rear and the top off the rifle, that dosn't seem right to me. Could be an issue with play even though the screws where tight. I know since I purchased these mounts Lynx changed there supplier, could have been an issue with quality control. I will contact Gary from Lynx tommorow, most people I know here use Lynx mounts. Probably the same with you, first time I have seen something like that.

Didnt think to take pics unfortunately I have already removed the scope from the mounts and put it away.

Regards Chris

Edited by Glock - February/13/2011 at 11:53
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 14:22
Gerald Baker
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 18:31
Never had any issues with Ruger factory rings
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 18:56
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Never had any issues with Ruger factory rings
+1
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 20:44
I had some Lynx mounts on a Model 70 Winchester that got put on in Johannesburg in 1988.  Actually, I think they were made by Tasco.  They had a stud in the bases.  They were OK. I had them on a 300 Winchester.    

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 01:44
Glock, seems like the mount screws popped out. Why is a good question.

Screws can only pop out if they are wrong size, wrong thread or have worked loose. The rifle receiver tapped threads could also be damaged, so make sure to check them.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 04:08
8 shots Ruger rifles mounts secure with a dovetail in the side, so the rifle is not drilled and tapped.

I contacted Lynx and spoke to Gary, he says that the rear off the base should be in contact with the top off the rifle. He says they stoped producing mounts for the Ruger, but he has a couple of bases left in stainless. He will send me one, to see if that is in contact with the rifle. Still fancy going back to Leupold mounts.

308 Sav thought about that as well although I checked the screws before we shot.

Ed shows us how old you are, 1988 I had just finished my 2 years compulsory military sevvice. But you are right the where made by Tasco then.

Will see how the gap on the replacement base looks when they come and let you guys know. Thanks for the info.

Regards Chris

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 07:56
burris makes excellent ruger style rings imo, and they arent very spendy either
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 10:06
Thanks Pyro will have a look at them.

Regards Chris
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 05:49
Check out these photo's. The Silver base is the new one that Lynx Optics sent me, and the black one is the original one that was on my rifle for the last 4 years. Our local Firearms dealer put it on, dont know how he didnt see the gap.

I measured the bases and there is a 0.6mm gap between old and new. So much for quality control, both bases where made by Bsquare in the USA. I just dont trust these bases anymore, and dont fancy the scope coming off again.

I ordered a set of Leupold Ringset mounts to put back on the rifle,as I had them on originaly. And never had any issues with them coming loose at all, just hope I dont have windage issues with the scope like last time. I was about 1 inch out with 200 Norma Oryx bullets, since then i have shifted over to Barnes 180TSX. So I will have to hold thumbs

Regards Chris

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 06:47
That certainly looks like a poor fit. The screw probably did not have a decent grip.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 07:35
Thats what it looks like to me, only the front was secured properly. Until it came loose anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic