OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon or SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon or SS
    Posted: February/12/2011 at 23:21
Considering the Trijicon 3 X 9 and the SS 3 X 9 for a hunting rifle. Should I wait for the ( allegedley) upcoming SS 2.5 X 10? Opinions? My cincern is the tactical style turrets on the SS.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 11:36
Do you want turrets to spin? If so you have to go to the SS.  Both hold value exceptionally well.  If you want illumination, you'll have to go Trijicon.  IF this rifle is mainly for hunting i give the edge to trijicon just because of the illumination, that is until the next generation of SS's come out that may have illumination.  The ss has been proven in tactical and hunting situations and i love mine.  never been left wanting with it and I still can spin the turrets if needed/wanted
kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 14:13
I am actually concerned about the turrets moving, or getting damaged due to there height etc. I think the SS may have an edge on Glass, but they are very close in my estimation.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 14:58
The turrets on the SS 3-9 are very stiff and not grabby.  Having them move accidentally is not a problem--I've used mine a lot hunting, being carried, bouncing around in a vehicle, etc, and it's never happened to me.  It has with other scopes, but no the SS 3-9.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 15:25
same experience here.  Heck on of the regulars on here recently fell on his gun and 3-9SS, he aint no small fry, and it didn't mess his so I think your safe.... they don't move unless you want them too
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 16:01
SS is FFP, Trijicon is not.  trijicon is illuminated, S is not.  Trijicon does not have exposed turrets, SS does.

Depending on the type of hunting, I could see a scenario where i recommended each.

I own both, I like both, but they do different things well.

What are you hunting?  On what is the scope being mounted?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

SS is FFP, Trijicon is not.  trijicon is illuminated, S is not.  Trijicon does not have exposed turrets, SS does.

Depending on the type of hunting, I could see a scenario where i recommended each.

I own both, I like both, but they do different things well.

What are you hunting?  On what is the scope being mounted?

Will be mounted on a TC Icon in a Manners stock, used for Western Game. Deer, Elk, Moose, in order of frequency.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 23:28
For low light and fast off hand shots get the Trijicon. For longer precision shots you may prefer the SS. I don't own the SS but I do own three Trijicons. My next hunting scope will also be a Trijicon. I hunt Eastern game in wooded areas so the Trijicon reticle makes more sense. I've never taken a shot over 300 yards, but I have taken shots at last light with cloud cover. I have a hard time seeing a "normal" reticle on game against a dark background in extreme low light.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 14:56
Thank you all for your insights.

Is there any intel on when the new SS scopes will come online?

Also, let us expand this conversation perhaps.

I would like to spend less than $800, and would like to select the "best" optic for the application. I am not familair with all of the brands. I have usually just bought a Leupold on called it good, however, I know there are better alternatives for the $$ spent. Opinions wanted.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:03
The new SS's are out and fantastic! Edt, the new 1-4's are now shipping

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/17/2011 at 15:19
kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:13
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The new SS's are out and fantastic!

I was under the impression that there was a 2.5 X 10 or similar coming?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:18
There may be in the future.  There has been several mentionings of higher powered SS's as well as illuminating exisitng configurations..... there is not much info floating about on them, yet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic