OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Sports Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MMA or Boxing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA or Boxing
    Posted: February/12/2011 at 23:06
I've watched some of this MMA fighting, and I have alot of respect for those fighters. But maybe I'm old fashioned but I just like boxing better. What do yall think
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 09:48
I like them both.  Not long ago the Boxing heavy weight champion was the most coveted and respected athlete in the world, how things have changed.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 13:29
MMA , to me, is a "participant sport", not a spectator sport.  I don't particularly like watching the "ground and pound", jiu jitsu (gracie, etc) is an activity, not something I enjoy watching.  Much of the action is concealed.  So, for me, kickboxing and boxing are much preferred "sports".  MMA is a streetfight in a cage.  Certainly jiu jitsu is an art to learn, as well as krav maga, wrestling, kali, any form of karate, kung fu, etc.  The combination of all into MMA creates an extremely useful "real world" application and it can be devastating.   Someone who has only studied say Tae Kwon Do going up against a schooled MMA fighter is at a severe disadvantage. 
So, answer to the question... I like all martial arts, will watch and try to learn from any, but my least favorite to watch on TV is MMA.  If you are sitting ringside at the arena, it is pretty good, but still can be "boring" to watch, or try to watch.  I love the fight, don't care much for the inability to see all the action. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 19:56
+1

Once the "ground and pound" start's I loose interest real fast. I'm old school and rather see a good boxing match, PKA style fight, etc.  
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 22:10
I generally prefer to watch muay thai since that is my discipline of choice.  However, watching mma is a close second.

While I do enjoy boxing, it does not hold as much appeal to me, although I have to admit that is partially influenced by a ridiculous number of bad decisions.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 22:14
I would watch muay thai exclusively, if I could.  But there is not much televised unless you can get the Thai Boxing Channel. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 22:55
Ground and pound is much better to watch when you have a good grasp of the techniques they are trying to employ.  For me, since I have never been trained in boxing, I have a difficult time understanding the subtleties of that sport.  Since I have a lot more experience with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I really appreciate and get into MMA.  That being said, with MMA, you get a long series of rounds where guys go to the floor as quick as then can, then one match, you get a guy in there who has a great "stand up" game and wreaks havoc on the jiu jitsu guy.  Now that is fun to watch!  
Far Beyond Driven
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:40
Although you do have to respect the sport of boxing and it's history, the truth is Mixed Martial Arts is a much more exciting, fluid and dynamic form of combat sports. Unfortunately, people who don't understand the going on's of ground fighting can't seem to appreciate the physical chess match that is taking place on the ground. Once you understand what's going on, and understand the dynamics of control, positioning, submissions, and submission defense, then you can appreciate how exciting of a physical chess match it is, that is if the fight even goes to the ground. IMHO, it is much more exciting to watch two fighters battling for position on the ground than it is for two boxers to dance around the ring for 12 rounds only to go to a bad decision on the judges scorecards.

Sadly, boxing is dead, there are no new big stars on the horizon, and the only fights they can do big sales of PPV on are the big stars that were famous before MMA hit it's stride with the general public. The only thing keeping boxing clinging to life are the few guys like Pacquio, Mayweather, and a few others, some of which are getting close to retirement. All the corruption, bad judging, and fight after fight after fight going to the judges scorecards in boring decision's have also take a large toll on boxing.

Like it or not, MMA is the future of combat sports. There are no new stars on the horizon that are going to save boxing, and the youth, along with the older generations, are seeing Mixed Martial arts for what it is, the most exciting and dynamic form of combat sport that has ever existed. It's only a short matter of time before the UFC goes mainstream like basketball and football.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 19:27
MMA all the way, the sport is evolving rapidly and the athleticism of the fighters paired with well rounded skills in multiple disciplines is always entertaining to me.  I love to watch it all, stand up vs jiu jitsu, ground and pound and dirty boxing vs whatever, and the mixing of the arts and the personal styles that evolve are mind blowing sometimes.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 19:44
I love MMA as well.  A good boxing match is fun to watch, but I enjoy the blended styles of MMA the most.
-Matt
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 20:12
Another fan of MMA here, I used to watch boxing, now it is boring, except the Mayweather fight, which was hilarious.  MMA has so many angles and so much excitement, yes some ground and pound matches can be boring, but I have seen some ridiculous battles and escapes that turn the tides come from the ground and pound.  The sport offers some of the most exciting fights I have ever seen, go back and watch it from the beginning.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 10:00
I like to watch both, but the sport of boxing has taken a dive! We havve people like Mayweather who rather fight inferior opponents to keep his record clean then go up against the top fighters (Pac Man).

With MMA I think the fighters are more willing to give the fans the matchups they desire, thus MMA for me is more fun to watch!
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 10:18
MMA. It's a much more rounded sport. You have to be well versed in multiple aspects of fighting. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 11:36
I love watching MMA.  New season of the Ulitmate Fighter started last night.  Also, the new movie Warrior is pretty good.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 13:50
MMA. Boxing is for pussy's
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:40
What gets under my skin the most is these boxers claiming that boxing requires greater skill than MMA to be successful at. It is common sense that tells you that it takes more skill to be a successful mixed martial artist. I would love to see Floyd Mayweather get in the cage with someone like BJ Penn or Jose Aldo, it would take all of 60 seconds of ground and pound or a choke to make old pretty boy Floyd regret ever saying one some of the disrespectful stuff he has said about the sport.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic