OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700 stock swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem 700 stock swap
    Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:27
want to swap out my .223 BDL stock to a synthetic one.  Bought a SPS (I think) that is stamped "SA MAG"  Can I do the swap or should I have a smith do it?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:28
try it out
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:43
Well......... it's still coyote season here and this is my main yote rifle.  Don't want to have to try and resight-in if it doesn't go well.  I meant to have it done last summer but forgot about it.
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:53
just remove the action screws on the existing gun and take the action with the scope on it and drop it down into the new stock to see if it fits.  Should only be two screws and you dont' have to touch the scope
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:54
kinda what i was thinking too, it shouldnt mess with anything.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:06
how does moving the trigger and mag assembly work?  Is that part of what you've described or is that another step?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:08
you wont need to remove anything in extra pieces, except the mag well and that doesnt have any screws or anything it just drops in.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:09
yeah it is as simple as unscrewing those two screws and swapping it over.... very very simple.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:38
Easy swap. The trigger will come out with the action. Drop in the new stock and screw the floorplate back in. Then go shoot it to make sure it is still right on.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 20:18
Removing a rifle from its stock and then remounting it can cause the point of aim to change.  Generally its not a big deal.  I would take a couple plinks with it before hunting though.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 20:39
Is the action the same size on the .223 as the Short Mag action? I would think the Short Mag action may be a little beefer because the shells are much larger diameter. If I am reading your post correctly. quote (that is stamped "SA MAG").
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 21:13
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Is the action the same size on the .223 as the Short Mag action? I would think the Short Mag action may be a little beefer because the shells are much larger diameter. If I am reading your post correctly. quote (that is stamped "SA MAG").
I think Remington actions are the same, whether short or short mag, at least that's the way it is with the long action receivers- a .300 Win Mag is the same as a .30-06. I even think that all M700 receivers are the same diameter, either SA or LA.

Where the difference may be is in the barrel contours. Long action Remington 700 magnum barrels have a slightly larger diameter/taper than standard calibers, such as Pyro's favorite .270 Win. I suspect short action magnum barrels are also 'thicker' than standard calibers, hence the SA-MAG designation. They wouldn't need the -MAG designation if both barrel contours/barrel channel inlets were the same, they'd just call it SA.

If the same holds true for the short action Rem 700, that  SA-MAG stock will give you a free-floated barrel, for free. 

Some real Remington gearhead would know for sure, this is not definitive info...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 21:46
I have never looked at a SA and a Short Mag receiver side by side. The 223 has a case diameter of .376 the win mag is .513. The .223 wssm, 270 and 300 short mags all have a base diameter of .555.

Edited by 3_tens - February/10/2011 at 21:47
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 10:49
I guess I can try it and see what happens..... I can always put it back in the BDL stock.  Thanks for the input guys!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 18:51
Well, the darn floorplate doesn't fit.  The back part - trigger guard end - seems to fit okay, but the front part of the stock is a tad too short.  Does that make sense? 

Can the synthetic stock be reamed out, so-to-speak?
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 22:01
Are you saying that the mag well cut out in the stock is too short ? Something doesn't make sense to me which is why I'm asking. The only difference between the SA (223) and the SA mag is that there is a spacer inside the mag box. I'll try to find some pics to illustrate.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/14/2011 at 22:19
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 10:09
It's not the mag well... it's the part of the cut-out just in front of the mag well.  The very front ahead of the screw hole and the "shoulder" of the mag well.  We're talking like 1/16 or 1/32 too tight!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 10:15
The barreled action seems to fit just fine and the barrel channel seems to be the exact same size as my BDL stock.
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 10:35
Do you have a caliper to measure the distances of the FP cut out on both stocks ?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 21:27
ok... got another question.....  Can I use a stock designed for a bull barrel with a regular barrel?  Again, this is for a Rem 700 .223.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic