OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope mount for AR Flatop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91Springer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mount for AR Flatop
    Posted: February/09/2011 at 16:40
  I have a Bushmaster Varminter  w/24 " barrel. It came with a set of mini risers. I've narrowed my choice down to either the SS10x42 or the SS16x42. What would be a good set of permanent rings to use with these scopes?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 18:39
Need to know your price range.
Talley  Tactical @ $164.95
Badger @ $156.95
TPS TRS@ $77.95

Just to mention a few.

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 19:41

Love my BM Varminter, great rifle!  Good luck with the scope choice.  I like a 4-12 or so for it more then fixed, so if you have some moving varmints you can use, plus little better mag.  Cant go wrong with the rifle though...

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 21:05

I've tried the permanent rings but I like the La Rue quick detach better because it places the scope forward which allowes better access to the charging handle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
91Springer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91Springer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 14:34
 Urimaginaryfrnd brought up a good idea that I didn't think of. After reading other posts on here, I decided to go with a one piece quick detach. I thought that might make it easier to clean the gun. Just pop it off. So my next question is what would be a good one piece. I've read about LaRue and jp, but did not see them listed here. I looked at the Burris AR Tactical ( stock #410342). How does this one stack up as far as being durable. My price range I could go as high as $125. Thanks in advance
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 14:50
LaRue has been the "gold standard" for QD AR scope mounts for awhile; however, great new designs have come out that provide better return to zero than the LaRue mounts.

LaRue mounts are plentiful and are good mounts, but if this is an optic you plan to take off the rifle and put back on - and expect a decent return to zero, there are better options on the market now.

I would look at Bobro and American Rifle Mounts, both are for sale at SWFA, both have better lockup mechanisms - in my opinion.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 15:11
You dont need to remove a scope to clean an AR.  Shotgun it open and can clean just fine, shouldnt be in the way at all.  If I didnt have plans to switch optics, might be better with standard rings, and cheaper. 
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 15:22
Problem with standard rings is with most scopes you cannot get the scope far enough forward to get the needed eye relief.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 15:31
used them all, they all work
happy with the American Defense
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 16:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

...great new designs have come out that provide better return to zero than the LaRue mounts....

I have mounts from LaRue, Bobro and ADM; if you could please expound on the above quote a little more, I sure would appreciate it.

Edited by Yak - February/11/2011 at 16:52
"Both of you peckerwood's can KMFA!!!" ~ Ceska
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic