OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

accupoint 1-4 vs.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accupoint 1-4 vs.....
    Posted: December/20/2005 at 02:50
I am currently looking to put some optics on my 16' m4orgery.  I am leaning towards the accupoint 1-4 because of the BAC and tritium lit reticle (no batteries).  However, I've also been contemplating the IOR Valdada with the cqb reticle.  One of the big turnoffs I have to the accupoint is the lack of BDC.  I would like some opinions.

Can you use BAC with the IOR?

Is the illuminated IOR reticle bright enough to be visible during mid day like the Accupoint?

Do you find the CQB reticle to busy?

Given the flat bullet trajectory of the 5.56 do you think the triangle on the accupoint could be used easy enough for a BDC in the ranges of 100m-500m?  Im not sure but I am guessing that maybe the point of the triangle zeroed at 100m would give a POI of 300m at the bottom of the triangle.

On the accupoint, what are the descending lines from the triangle for?

Im just having a difficult time deciding which scope to put on my AR.  I need something with a lit reticle for low/no light shooting (coyotes and such).  Shots are generaly 100-375 yds and moving targets are common, they're fast lil buggers.  My main concern for the CQB reticle is that it may hinder target acquisition due to the busy reticle, during the night.  Sorry for the long post.  BTW I also like to do some mid range (300-500m) bench shooting.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2005 at 09:32
Can't speak to the IOR's but- The bushnell firefly is as good a set up and less expensive (I think). If 4x is as high as you are going, spend the extra and get the A.C.O.G. and yes it is that much better. Mostly lit recticles are highly overrated, and thick one works about as well, (some folks on this sight prefer the old German post). The Ac0g has all these features, is more compact, more durable in short a better product. Trijcon has a new hunters series based on the acog you should check out (lower in price). The top point of the Chevron (triangle) is on at 100 and the bottom is on at 300 yards and it has a BDC built in that works great at least for a 4x scope and the red chevron is not lost in bright sunlight. I would like to know the purpose of the 2 lines in the Accupoint also. A 16" /223 loses alot of velocity, and you will be down to about 2900 fps at the muzzle. This is not a flat combination. However a zero at 100yds will be dead on a coyote if horizontal is held across the back.  This, and given the trigger pull (or lack of it) of an AR about 10X maxs (head  shots) out the ability of this combination at 300-400 yds. even then the shooter must spend too much time on the target to get a clean shot off.
pandemonia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2005 at 12:42
I would love to purchase an acog however I cant justify spending $900 plus the price of a good mount $100+ on a scope.  I could build another ar-15 for that much.  I can get an accupoint for a little over $500 and I already have rings for it.  I also dont really care for the fixed power scopes.  I've handled acogs and I think they are a good scope however I actually prefer the adjustable power scopes over them.  Also the rangefinding capabilities do me absolutely no good (I rarely get a chance to hunt humans ).  I've searched everywhere but I cant find this new acog model that is used for hunting.  Do you happen to have a link or anything? Are you saying that the accupoints aren't very reliable/sturdy?? I guess I just assumed that trijicon would make a solid product. 

Anyone else out there with experience using the accupoint in 3 gun type matches or hunting please chime in.  I've searched everywhere but it is hard to find good info on the accupoint.  Seems like no one uses it.
pandemonia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandemonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2005 at 12:45
Sorry I forgot to say that I've heard the accupoint reticle is just as bright as the acogs.  It uses optic fiber and tritium like the acog does.  Is it true that it is as bright as the acog??
BoxerRob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoxerRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2006 at 11:39
The two lines under the triangle are elements of the fiberoptic. I havn't figured out why they are on the
Accupoints but not the ACOG's...
Never confuse movement with action...Hemingway
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2006 at 02:46

As the accupoint 1-4 have a terrible differance in distance betwen eye and eyepiece depending on the magnification.

And the Field of View is also very small, so I would never chose this as a tactical scope.

It's technologie of the 50th...........

Regards Technika

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic