OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Going from Buckmaster to a Euro Diamond...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going from Buckmaster to a Euro Diamond...
    Posted: February/09/2011 at 11:23
I should be receiving my Burris Euro Diamond tomorrow and I'm fired up! My current scope is a Nikon Buckmaster which I've always thought was decent but I've never really owned anything close to high end. What kind of improvements and optical performance should I expect with the Euro Diamond over the Buckmaster?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 11:25
a bunch, will be like going from a vxI to a vx3
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 11:45
Anything specific I should notice?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 11:52
clarity for one, and better performance in low light levels for two.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 16:16
looks pretty damn cool too!
take em!
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:05
Probably less tunnel vision than the Buckmaster, and the optic might be a bit clearer on a resolution chart.

If you're bored:
-Compare them on the same magnification powers to check the depth of field on the scopes, by examining very close objects at high magnifications. See which one stays in focus over a longer viewing range, and which one fuzzes out at closer ranges when set at equal magnification.
-Check their field of view at the same magnification.
-Compare their eye relief at the same magnification
-Compare their eyebox at the same magnification, by moving your head around to see how sensitive they are to eye position.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:15
You should have a lot more internal elevation.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

I should be receiving my Burris Euro Diamond tomorrow and I'm fired up! My current scope is a Nikon Buckmaster which I've always thought was decent but I've never really owned anything close to high end. What kind of improvements and optical performance should I expect with the Euro Diamond over the Buckmaster?

I would suggest you forget everything that has been posted in this thread so far and compare the two scopes once you have both in your hands.  Do it at different lighting conditions.

It only matters if the difference is significant to your eyes, right?

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:22
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I would suggest you forget everything that has been posted in this thread so far and compare the two scopes once you have both in your hands.  Do it at different lighting conditions.

ILya

with all due respect dark lord, are you feeling ok??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:26
I'm an optics rookie and I will be messing around comparing the two for sure. In the past I've always just bought something in the 200 dollar range slapped in on my rifle and went hunting but I have a feeling I might get hooked on optics which then means I have to buy more guns to put them on! My wife is going to hate this!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:06
Just wait til you talk yourself into buying a $1500 scope.  Then everything else you own will look like crap.  Thats when the wife will really start to get mad as you have to keep upgrading everything.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ILya

Sure.  Why?

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:09

ILya

Sure.  Why?

ILya

im just sorta surprised with your answer, i mean we are talking about a pretty significant step up in optics here imo. be like going from an sI to  sIII dont you think?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:42

ILya

Sure.  Why?

ILya

im just sorta surprised with your answer, i mean we are talking about a pretty significant step up in optics here imo. be like going from an sI to  sIII dont you think?

I think you misunderstood me.  I think it is a serious step up.  However, since he already ordered it, I would rather have him look at it without being influenced by other opinions.

Had he not ordered it already, my reply would be different.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:44
ah 10-4 i got you my bad!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:04
Howdy BigGameBalls

Both Pyro and Ilya are correct.
While that Euro Diamond is a big step up in optics quality, perception of the differences is entirely subjective and up to the individual. Make up your own mind about what you see.

One thing that you will  notice about that Euro Diamond is the very large and forgiving 'eye box' .
Burris pretty much sets the standard on eye box and the Euro Diamonds are superb. They are very forgiving in head/eye placement. You can very quickly and easily acquire and maintain a sight picture.

As for me, I'd say the jump in optics is even greater than from VX-1 to VX-3, as Pyro suggested, as I think the Euro Diamond glass is better than VX-3, but that's just me. I like Burris scopes, so take this w/grain o' salt

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:10

That comment about the eye box makes me VERY happy! The whole reason I bought this scope with the lower power was for superior FOV in close, quick, moving situations!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:13
which i know first hand is nice to have in the big woods up nortBig Grin
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:14
I have the 1.5-6x and agree the eyebox is nice.  Optics are pretty nice as well.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 12:22
I've missed 2 chances at booners becasue of fast close range moving situations. Both times I thought to myself "my god if I only had my shotgun with open sights". Hopefully this Euro Diamond will give me the best of both worlds.

Now I just have to figure out what the best way to mount it to a Browning BAR LW stalker. I'm considering the EGW picatinny rail. The LW stalker has open sights and I thougt it might be a good idea to have a QD system so if my scope ever crapped out I could take it off and use the sights.

Pyro I'm in da nort woods of MN too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic