OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tripod for spotting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tripod for spotting scope
    Posted: February/08/2011 at 12:42
I have several tripod, but not really solid one. Id like to try some digiscoping and need a good tripod.  I'm not wanting to spend 5-6 hundred for one. How much would a really usable one cost and which ones??Smile
Black Bear Road
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 15:45
I just got a Manfrotto 055XB tripod and a 3130 fluid head.  I borrowed it from a friend.  Looks like this might be what I get, as it was on my short list anyway.  I'm just under 6' tall in flat soles and just over in packer style high arch boots.  I have to let the tripod legs out from their normal open position,  This spaces the legs wider apart and is really solid.  I don't have to extend the center clolumn either.  The tripod is solid, and just about right, as I won't be packing this and my ZEN ED 2 spotter a long ways.

You can get the tripod new for about $175 and the head for about $90. 

Edited by Klamath - February/08/2011 at 15:47
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 17:18
Johnny...."E" mail sent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 19:29

The fluid head means it adjusts smoothly??
Thanks,Smile
Black Bear Road
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 20:58
The 055 is a great suggestion, but you can get a 128RC fluid head for pretty cheap (used around $60-$70) and it is like that head was just made for a digiscoping setup.

Fluid heads have fluid-filled cartridges that dampen vibration while panning/adjusting the head.  They are good investments for digiscoping.
-Matt
captainemil View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 18:18
how tall does it need to be?
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 19:34
I want to stand up and I'm 5'8". I have an angled spotter, so about 48-60 inch?
Black Bear Road
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2011 at 10:55
is it hard to find where you are looking at with the angled scope?
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2011 at 19:59
Some times it is worse than other times. I like the angled scope because I can sit behind it and it's not as hard on my neck as the straight scopes. If you would put some simple sighting device on it would help. Some where I saw plastic ties on a scope body for a sight, but I haven't tried it yet. I have some straight scopes and this one angled and if I bought another, it would another angled scope.
After reading here I'd like to look thru the Vortex Razor and Kowa, also the Zen-Ray. Hell, I want to look thru all of them!Yippee
Black Bear Road
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 00:32
I wish there was a place to go an look at all of them
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 11:24
Give the Manfrotto 190 a look too.  I use it on my Razor HD spotter along with a 322 pistol grip head and a 128 fluid head.

If memory serves me correctly, I was able to buy the legs, 2 heads w/quick detactch, and a window mount for just over $300.

I am 5'11" and the 190 is plenty tall.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 11:46
Originally posted by FireEMT5 FireEMT5 wrote:

Give the Manfrotto 190 a look too.  I use it on my Razor HD spotter along with a 322 pistol grip head and a 128 fluid head.

If memory serves me correctly, I was able to buy the legs, 2 heads w/quick detactch, and a window mount for just over $300.

I am 5'11" and the 190 is plenty tall.
What is your take on the 128 head vs the pistol grip head?  Is the 322 a fluid head?  The pistol grip heads seem to foster either a love or a hate response.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Gregg Jacob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregg Jacob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 11:59
Go on ebay and get a used Gitzo like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GITZO-Tripod-Tele-Studex-Rapid-Sliding-Column-/370485802389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642acb595
They are heavy and rock solid.  I have an older version of this one with the same head for over 30yrs.  It has seen 35mm with 600mm lens and everything up to 8X10 view cameras.  It's the only photography item that hasn't been sold or traded in that time.  I use it for my chrono now in heavy wind, wont budge...just rock solid...will see a spotting scope on it when I get one.  Get the heavest tripod you can...you wont be hiking with it so weight is not an issue.

Gregg 
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 14:01
I bought both heads for a couple reasons.

1.  I didn't have access to see either one in person.

2. I wanted a head for my a tripod and a window mount.

After having them awhile, I opted to use the pistol grip head on the tripod, and the fluid head on the window mount.  I like the pistol grip on the tripod because I mainly use it set on a target and don't need the fluid head for following movement.

Having both gives me the option of switching things up if I want to. Big Smile  Yes, going with 2 heads costs more, but I didn't want to mess around with switching 1 head between my tripod and window mount.  I'd rather just clip my scope into either one.

The 128 is the fluid head, the 322 is the joystick head.

With the 322, you just squeeze the pistol grip handle and adjust to your liking.  Release handle and it stays put.  I have the friction set to almost it's lowest setting and it still holds my Razor scope rock solid.

Edited by FireEMT5 - February/24/2011 at 14:04
jseballos23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jseballos23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 09:47

I suggest the new Manfrotto 055XV. The XB is the older model and a bit heavier.  You can get this on Amazon for $160.00 

For heads look at this place in my area. They make nothing but wonderful equipment.  I am a pistol grip guy so their pistol grip head on the fluid panning attachment is wonderful. 

Others like the panning head.  I would suggest looking at the Jim White head or the Outdoorsmans panning head.  All wonderful equipment.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:18
I will check this out. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic