OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper pst 4x16 or 6x24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper pst 4x16 or 6x24
    Posted: February/07/2011 at 15:17
I am getting ready to spend a little money on a new scope. Thank God I gave too much money to Uncle Sam last year. I shoot a 308 winchester at paper and steel out to 600 yds hopefully farther in the near future. Right now I have a fixed ss 16, and have been pleased with it so far, but I am wanting to step up a little in glass quality. I do occasionally hunt, but I do have a lower powered scope to use if I feel 6 x at the lower end is too much. So please consider this primarily a target only scope.

My question is simply this. Is the glass good enough for the extra magnification or would I never use it past 16 x anyway. I realize the extra magnification is not needed for the distances I am currently shooting, but it is the same glass same size package. The cost difference is not that much ($50). I know some have tested the 4x16 I do not know if anyone has looked through the 6x24.
Gerald Baker
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 15:27
Gonna hear mixed reviews on this. I had a standard viper in 6.5-20 and never used it past 15-16X and trade it to another memeber here for his standard 4-12 viper and haven't looked back yet.  However he uses the 6.5-20 on max power with good results where I didn't like that much. Could be I am a bitLoco
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 16:40
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

...Could be I am a bitLoco
We weren't gonna say anything...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 17:24
+1 with Graham....4-12 covers it all,out to 1k.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 17:41
I have the 6.5-20 Viper and don't like it above 16x either.  Also the 4-16 PST has more elevation adjustment than the 6-24 so if you wanna reach way out, that will be important.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 18:29
I have a few scopes in 6-18 and 6-24.  Most of the time I use them in the 12 to 14 mag range.  I don't like 6x as a starting point.  I would suggest the 4-14 over the 6-24.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 20:10
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Also the 4-16 PST has more elevation adjustment than the 6-24 so if you wanna reach way out, that will be important.

Good point, esp. for a .308.

I too will vote for the 4-16. But then, you already know what's it's like shooting @ 16X. If that really feels like not enough and you've got that other scope, the 6-24 may well be the way to go.
Reaction time is a factor...
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 21:49
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

My question is simply this. Is the glass good enough for the extra magnification or would I never use it past 16 x anyway.

I now have both a 4-16 and a 6-24 PST and should be able to shoot them sde by side this weekend so I should have some comparative observations for you soon.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 04:26
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

My question is simply this. Is the glass good enough for the extra magnification or would I never use it past 16 x anyway.

I now have both a 4-16 and a 6-24 PST and should be able to shoot them sde by side this weekend so I should have some comparative observations for you soon.

Jon Thank you so much.
Gerald Baker
Malazan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malazan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 13:20

I was going to go order a 4-16 PST this weekend, but I'm going to wait for your review.Excellent

Hurry pleaseBig Grin
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 20:07
The verdict is in:  Get the 6-24.  No contest. 

The glass is noticeably better, certainly good enough for full use of 24X.  I shot it on 24X the whole time.  You can see the target (and holes in it) much better, the reticle is a tad thinner and I found it simply much more enjoyable to use.

Of course for a pure hunting rifle, 4-16X is a better all around power range and I'd say go with that if you really need to be using this scope to hunt in the thick brush/timber.  But for target shooting short or long range, varmints or hunting in open country I like the 6-24 much better.

Keep in mind that's only an example of one (well, two of the 4-16's and one of the 6-24) so I can't guarantee all 6-24's will be this much better than the 4-16's optically.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 20:43

The verdict is in:  Get the 6-24.  No contest. 

The glass is noticeably better, certainly good enough for full use of 24X.  I shot it on 24X the whole time.  You can see the target (and holes in it) much better, the reticle is a tad thinner and I found it simply much more enjoyable to use.

Of course for a pure hunting rifle, 4-16X is a better all around power range and I'd say go with that if you really need to be using this scope to hunt in the thick brush/timber.  But for target shooting short or long range, varmints or hunting in open country I like the 6-24 much better.

Keep in mind that's only an example of one (well, two of the 4-16's and one of the 6-24) so I can't guarantee all 6-24's will be this much better than the 4-16's optically.

Thanks, I hold your opinion high.
Gerald Baker
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 21:29
Looked through one of these Saturday an must say it's pretty sweet.  Might be some to look at too.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 10:49
Order is placed for the 6x24 Thanks Jon A for the input.

Now to wait lol.

Edited by 308 Sav - February/18/2011 at 10:49
Gerald Baker
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 11:37
Congrats.... remember to post some pics!
take em!
NC_Army_Guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 14:03

I am getting ready to spend a little money on a new scope. Thank God I gave too much money to Uncle Sam last year. I shoot a 308 winchester at paper and steel out to 600 yds hopefully farther in the near future. Right now I have a fixed ss 16, and have been pleased with it so far, but I am wanting to step up a little in glass quality. I do occasionally hunt, but I do have a lower powered scope to use if I feel 6 x at the lower end is too much. So please consider this primarily a target only scope.

My question is simply this. Is the glass good enough for the extra magnification or would I never use it past 16 x anyway. I realize the extra magnification is not needed for the distances I am currently shooting, but it is the same glass same size package. The cost difference is not that much ($50). I know some have tested the 4x16 I do not know if anyone has looked through the 6x24.

Gerald,

One thing to think about is if you are getting a FFP (First Focal Plane) or SFP (Second Focal Plane).  When opting for the SFP (which is what I choose) the Viper PST has stops for Mil-Dot calculations.  The mil-dots on the PST's work at max power (16 for a 4-16x50), so when you are at 8 magnification, you'll have to multiple by 2 to get the distance, 5.3x  mulitply by 3, and 4x multiply by for.  This is used when the mil dots are used for calculating distance.  It's more complicated than the FFP, in which the mil-dots remain constant at any magnification, but I prefer having a stand sized cross hair at any magnification and doing the math. 

Rick
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 15:20
I like the FFP myself ranging is not that big of a deal but is nice,( I have a laser). The advantages I see are in wind holdoffs and in the fact they shrink down to a nice illuminated plex at low end. Also I like for a dot or crosshair to always cover the same amount of my target as far as thickness goes.
Gerald Baker
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:25
Ive only seen the 4-16 model but the 16 x was quite useable clear and sharp.  I suspect you could do fine with either scope trust your instincts.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dave1004 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 20:59
I just ordered a 6-24 myself.   Now the wait. Hope it's not too long.
Mike from Texas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 19:29
Has anyone taken one of the PST scopes and shot it in the morning/evening while facing in the general direction of a sunrise or sunset?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic