OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schott glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schott glass
    Posted: February/06/2011 at 16:48
I have decided that my next glass purchase will be a Schott shot glass.

Titanium crystal. Something larger than 44 ml.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 16:58

Cheers
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 17:30
I thought "shot" glass,... was what I done to my last tasco scope!
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:39
I prescribed glasses for a patient whose RX was -13 D, that is very high giving horribly thick edges, Zeiss titanium crown glass with their finest coatings.  Had to be ordered from Germany as not available in a lab in USA.  He had been referred to me as the most unhappy patient and had made the rounds.  It took forever to get the glasses in.  Results Yippee.   Japanese lenses are vastly improved but I have no knowledge as to what is used in rifle scopes.  As I had many patients referred because of unmet visual expectations my modus operandi was to go to the very best Zeiss lenes and coatings since usually the RX was within normal variation.  Not once, no not once did this fail.  Not that vision was the mythical 20/15 but that the patient was more than satisfied and the glasses were never, not once returned.  This is how the scientific method works in the real world.  One must be careful of anecdotal evidence.
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:43
Shenko,  where did you find which scopes use Schott titanium gass?  links please.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 13:34
Originally posted by cruft cruft wrote:

. ... One must be careful of anecdotal evidence.
To a point this is true.  I agree that several anecdotes do not form a data set.  However, one problem that science has is that while you should not take them at too high a level of confidence, you may well ignore them at your peril, for when the collected anecdotes clearly indicate a pattern, the wise scientist does not ignore them.  Maybe it is different in the optics world where laws of Physics are more well defined and concrete.  However, in the Biological Sciences, where my training lies, the world of variables is pretty uncontrolled, or at least more variables exist that need to be accounted for.  So are the situations in where optics are put to use in the field.   When the overwhelming response for a particular optic from users in widespread areas report positive things, notice should be taken.  Ditto negative reports.

So, yes to get a good optic, you need good glass, but to say an optic is necessarily good because of brand X glass, does not mean it is a good optic.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 13:45
I own a Zeiss FL scope & as far as I know this is there #1 glass in there standard scopes.It consist of Schott glass together with Florite crystall.They also use there own coating,which is how most scope companies come up with their own magic.

I believe Zeiss also uses a similar glass coating on there renoned Hensoldt scopes.Another co. that uses Schott glass is Minox.

The site expert [Ilya] has told me that the inner glass shouldn't make a difference to the average shooter,I totaly beleive him as this is his specialty & livelihood. He's forgotten more than I will ever know about both scopes & glass. 

Edited by stickbow46 - February/07/2011 at 13:47
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 18:29
I wasn't even thinking of another scope. I just thought it would be cool to have a shot glass made out of Schott glass. Now I'm thinking a set of 'Schott Zwiesel Paris Tritan Crystal Double Old Fashioneds' could make for an alpha-class set of beer goggles.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 20:06
I thought you were talking about a "shot" glass.  What is your preference for "loading" a shot glass?
take em!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 07:46

XXX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 09:24
IOR also uses Schott glass.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 16:45
I don't use Schott glass, just drink it right out of the bottle.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 17:14
Bourbon 
Gerald Baker
zorritta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zorritta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 16:13
The ATST (world's largest telescope), GREGOR, Sunrise and Big Bear New Solar Telescope all use Schott Zerodur glass...does that answer your question?

More about SCHOTT optical glass.
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 10:33
I would send an e-mail to schott explaining my needs, if they have a faction of humor they will give you a 6-pack of shot glasses.

Sell them the idea that it would be a excellent PR-stunt or a gift for Christmas:

"Take a shot in a Schott"

(if I was to take a shot it would be Finlandia, Absolut or Wyborova)

Gerry Atric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic