OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4X Fixed scope options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb rvlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4X Fixed scope options?
    Posted: February/06/2011 at 13:42
Am I the only person who thinks there is still some value in a fixed 4x scope?

I've done some searching but don't see a lot of options available. I do see the Leupold FXII. Is anyone aware of any other quality 4x scopes on the market?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 13:47
I have a 4x38 weaver classic and a 4x40 swift, that I like alot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 13:57
IOR Hunting 4x32
IOR Tactical 4x24
Sightron S2 4x32
Burris Timberline 4x20
Weaver Classic 4x38
Weaver Anniversary Classic K 4x32

Then there is a slew of cheaper chinese scopes.

For AR-15s, there are several top notch 4x scopes from Trijicon and Elcan.

ILya
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 14:24

The timberline series from Burris is good glass for the money. "if you can find the 4x model, seems to have been discontinued"

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 15:17
While I don't think that highly of Leupold compared to some other optics, I hung on to my FX-II, which is now sitting on my .22 Savage. Part of that is because it has a set of Alumina lens covers. I never have to clean the scope optics. If the lens covers get dirty, I just take them off, wash them with a little Woolite and let them air dry. They don't get spotted. Maybe the soap (as mild as it is) will remove some coating over the long haul but for what they cost, I don't really care.

It's a decent scope and fine for getting out to 200, even 300 yards if conditions are good.
Reaction time is a factor...
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by bb rvlr bb rvlr wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks there is still some value in a fixed 4x scope?

I've done some searching but don't see a lot of options available. I do see the Leupold FXII. Is anyone aware of any other quality 4x scopes on the market?

Nope, you're not alone.  And yes, the options are dwindling.

I came to find that the Conquest 4x32's were just about perfect my eyes, so I bought a few before they were discontinued.

I think Koshkin's list above just about covers it.  You can probably find others, but you did specify "quality 4x scopes" in your post...

Good Luck!

FC
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 06:32
IOR +2
Sightron +1

I just mounted up the Sightron on a 12 ga. slug thrower.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 06:49
IOR  http://swfa.com/IOR-4x32-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-P6742.aspx
way better glass than the Leupold.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 09:23
If you can find a used one somewhere, Zeiss made an excellent 4X32 in the Conquest series until recently.  I have one, and it's a superb scope.  Unfortunately, they discontinued it a couple years ago.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:22
I love fixed mag scopes of 4 and 6x despite the fact I do not own any, mainly because as my knowledge base grew I had collected quite a few scopes and all were variable.  The simplicity of a fixed mag scope makes them very robust and supposedly more durable and less likely to break, especially with hard recoiling rifles.  Sightron makes some very nice 4 and 6x scopes in their SII and a 6x in their SII BS lines with 50 and 75 dollar rebates respectively.  I thought they also made a 4x int the BS line, but maybe it was discontinued or I am wrong.  Regardless, imo Sightron makes one of the finest scopes regardless of price.  I not sure was the 4x costs, but is probably mid 200s.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:26

Actually the price on the 4x is much less that I expected:

Sightron 4x32 SII Riflescope
Stock # - SII4X32
Matte
Plex
1"
$186.95

Then mail in the 50 dollar off rebate.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 18:04
    I have this one mounted on a 45-70. Its a good clear scope, obviously its tough as well.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 22:38
I have a Pentaz 4x Gameseeker on my .458 WinMag and a Conquest 4x on my .458 Lott.  Both perform exceptionally well.  The Pentax was on the Lott, but when I got the Conquest I bought a .458 WinMag for the Pentax...
Glass on both is very good.  The Pentax has BDC that works very well with the Lott out to 400 yards.  I've not shot much with it on the WinMag.  
I find them both ideal for my purposes...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 07:11
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have a Pentaz 4x Gameseeker on my .458 WinMag and a Conquest 4x on my .458 Lott.  Both perform exceptionally well.  The Pentax was on the Lott, but when I got the Conquest I bought a .458 WinMag for the Pentax...
Glass on both is very good.  The Pentax has BDC that works very well with the Lott out to 400 yards.  I've not shot much with it on the WinMag.  
I find them both ideal for my purposes...
I love your justification for buying another hammer!Excellent
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 08:51
The growing demise of the fixed power scopes is one of the biggest regrets I see in the shooting industry right now. I can certainly understand it in an economic sense as most of todays hunting/shooting crowd think you have to have at least a 12 power scope to hit an target the size of an elk at 300 yds but don't get me started about that. I do however think the scope manufacturers have some responsibility in this as they have not priced their fixed power scopes to appeal to the market IMHO. Heck you can buy a vx-ii 3-9x40 for about the same as a fx 4x33. This really doesn't make much sense as there are less moving parts to assemble and there should be less CS costs if in deed they are less likely to break. So to the avgerage consumer why not get all the bells and wistles on the 3-9 for the same price. The second problem is many of the 4x offerings are built to be compact so they don't fit on a LA rifle very well. The old steel tube weavers were one of the best proportioned scopes ever produced and fit on almost any rifle. I really see a nice niche here for the new redfield company to introduce a nice fixed 4x and 6x to compete with the weaver k series. and if Leupold was smart they would market a fixed 4x and 6x in the $199-$225 price range and then have the FX-iii higher end stuff. Just my $.02. Oh and yes I have 2 of my 5 rifles fitted with fixed power scopes and use another as my backup scope.

Edited by powderburn - February/10/2011 at 08:52
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 09:00
i had an old school 6x on a 243 and sold it. Huge regret
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 18:34
It is probably wrong of me but I have a 4x32 Diatal on my air rifle...

(Mind you, light transmission is excellent and the bunnies don't get to hide in the dusk much...)
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 15:45
Karl Kaps Classic 4x36 with a 30mm tube...

KR,

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 16:00
I generally keep an eye out for the old El Paso Weaver Micro-Trac K4s.  They are on ebay all the time.  A very good scope.  I just scarfed up a beautiful K6 just a few weeks ago.  
Visit the Ed Show
bootjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bootjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 17:21
Less to go wrong, fewer places to leak, all are first focal plane so you can't screw up hold over/off, cost less, are lighter and just look better.

Big game too far away to be shot with a 4X scope is too far away.

El Paso Weavers, Kollmorgens, Leupolds, Denver Redfields, Unertls, tons of fine European scopes as well of the few quality ones still made here and in Europe.

Once you try a Leupold FX-3 Competition Hunter 6x42mm Adj. Obj. on a super accurate rifle, you'll understand why variables are just trouble waiting to happen.

Just got my 12X AMERICAN made Burris Signature back from Burris for correction of a parallax issue (it's at least 20 years old). Floating tiny dot with invisible crosswires, target turrets on a 722 222R. Gophers' & Crows nightmare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic