OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommend an optic for Savage Mk2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesp81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend an optic for Savage Mk2
    Posted: February/06/2011 at 06:10
I have a Savage Mk2 stainless, bull barrel, with thumbhole stock.  It is very accurate.  I'm wanting a scope with higher magnification for it though, something in excess of 20x.  Variable or fixed is ok....I'd almost prefer fixed, however there's not much that I've been able to find, so far, that has that much magnification in a fixed power on a budget.  I'd also like an adjustable objective.

Since this is a 22, I don't feel the need to spend north of $400 on it.  This is strictly a benchrest target / fun gun, so the scope doesn't need to be able to survive a stint through downtown Kabul.  I just need it to hold zero and not get all blurry if it's variable power at max magnification.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 12:49

Howdy James.

I have a MK2 bull barrel in .17 HM2. My shooting is pretty much exactly what you are describing. "It's a bench gun I can afford to practice with and is zero'd at 100 yards."

Had my scope budget been a bit bigger I'd of gone with a fixed 10 power scope. I looked at the following:

Was going to link a 10x Bushnell 3200 Elite, but looks like those are all gone.

second choice was http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx

I talked myself out of both of the above and bought one of these. 

http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42256.aspx

"got a really good deal off the sample list on a B grade model" I'm pleased enough with my set-up but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the SWFA SS. 

Best of luck man, should be a real shooter with whatever you put on it. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 13:09
I know it doesn't have the magnification you want, but I'd take a good look at this one too.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 16:10
There is the SS20x and the Weaver T-series.  Understand that quality scope in the magnfications you are talking about  is hard with the price range you listed, something will give. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 16:23
What ranges are you shooting at? A higher magnification probably will not make you more accurate. A 20x at 100yds is similar to looking at a target at 5yds without any magnification. Or 200yds with 20x is similar to 10yds with out any magnification. Plus with anything above the high teens for magnification will have problems with mirage. Also higher magnification in a lower cost scope really brings out the imperfections in the glass. I would lean towards a Super sniper in 10x or possibly a 16x for a 22. But they also make a 20x. But if you are really set on a higher mag scope look at the sightrons. They make a 12x, 24x, and a 36x, but they are all over your limit of $400 with the 36x being closest at $425 with the rebate. And the Weaver T series is something else to look at.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-36x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P11091.aspx

http://swfa.com/Weaver-24x40-T-Series-Rifle-Scope-P2869.aspx

http://swfa.com/Weaver-36x40-T-Series-Rifle-Scope-P603.aspx

Edited by Sparky - February/06/2011 at 16:26
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:18
 I can easily watch .22s impact at 50yds with 9x and good glass. I can't really see using more than 16-18x even at 100yds. Better to spend the money on glass and good adjustments than more magnification, IMHO.

I'd recommend the Weaver V16 AO model. 4-16x 42mm with an adjustable objective that goes down to 10 yards or so and the basic, reliable Elite 4200/Weaver V series type target turrets (which I wish Weaver would retrofit the RV9 scope with,but that's another story). It's a bit big, but is otherwise a great scope for a rimfire.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-4-16x42-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P40148.aspx

There's always the 6-24x Weaver Classic V as well, but it's really overkill on a sporter rimfire, even at 100yds. Maybe on a .17HMR I could see it...

The Weaver Ts are great scopes, but are really suited to single, known distance benchrest. They seem more suited to mounting on a Kelbly Stolle benchrest rig than on even the nicest sporter .22.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2011 at 20:25
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2011 at 21:38
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 12:13
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 20:45
Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x44 MD....SWFA $399.95
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic