OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Setup for my .35 Rem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup for my .35 Rem
    Posted: February/05/2011 at 13:45
I bought a Marlin .35 Remington at a gun show a couple years ago and it came with a cheap 3x9x40 Tasco scope with see-through mounts so that I can use the iron sight.

At first, I figured the cheap Tasco scope would work since .35 Rem isn't exactly a long-range round.  But after buying some Hornaday ammo, I started getting tight groupings at 200yds and I've decided to go for a better scope.

I have a $75 credit at Academy and was thinking of getting a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 there for $150.  I don't know much about optics, so I thought I'd ask for some input.

What will be the advantages of the Burris over my Tasco?

What do y'all think of the see-through mounts with the Burris?  I stalk hunt in thick woods sometimes and it's nice to be able to draw quick with iron sights.  The Burris scope has notches on the vertical crosshair that should help with the problems introduced by raising the scope.
RobertR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 13:52
More info:
I use this rifle regularly for deer hunting on various terrain.  I'll get shots ranging from 20 to 200yds.  I try to be careful, but my rifle ends up getting banged around some.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 15:09

Welcome to OT!

one of my dedicated hog rifles is a marlin 336 in .35 rem. Awesome caliber! First off, I would ditch the over/under rings, in favor of Burris, talley or warne rings.  I use a 1 piece weaver mount on mine with Burris rings and, at the moment a weaver classic 4x38 scope. The burris ff2 would be a great scope for your set up as would the vortex viper 2-7 or the weaver I mentioned above.

Edited by tman1965 - February/05/2011 at 15:25
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 15:12
Also might want to look at the Burris timberline... I have that scope in 3-9 on a 336BL 30-30, and like it alot

Edited by tman1965 - February/05/2011 at 15:26
RobertR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 15:54
Thanks tman.  After reading more about it, I agree with your suggestion to ditch the over-unders.

I'll just set my scope on a low power to stalk.  But I still want higher power for longer shots, proly 200 yds max.

That said, would a 3x9x40 be a good option?  Particularly, do y'all think 3x is low enough for quick draws at close range?

I practiced a few draws in my living room with my Tasco at 3x and it seems okay, but drawing on my TV at home is a far cry from drawing on a running deer in the thicket.  Anyone have experience woods hunting with a 3x scope?

Another option would be a 2x7x35, but I don't think that will give me the power and lighting I'll want in my stand.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 15:58
You should be fine with 3x on the low end....and 9x is more than plenty to reach the ends of the 35's useful range
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 16:05
how about a Nikon 2X7 or Monarch 2-8 ? or a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7 ( on sale and has Rainguard - tough..I have on several 12 ga slug guns )
RobertR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 16:08
Sounds good, thanks.

One more question that might sound stupid:
What advantages will I see with the Burris over the cheap Tasco that I already have?  I need to justify spending the $$

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 16:10
better quality glass and durability for starters.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 23:00
Pride of ownership and better looks for seconders...
you will never be embarrassed to show up anywhere with Burris optics on your rifle!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 19:50
that's a great caliber
something like a good little 2-7 mounted low would be good
ditch the see throughs, run a weaver 2 piece base and low rings
Burris makes a good set for both and their little 2-7 with a German #4 would be a great setup
Keep it on 2 for walking around and dial up if needed
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 07:44
 +1 on that Burris w/#4!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic