OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DIY digiscoping adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY digiscoping adapter
    Posted: February/05/2011 at 08:39
I have a Leupold 12-40x60mm and was considering getting an adapter for digiscoping. I checked the Leupold site and they want $150 for one that fits my Leupy which immediately made me change my mind. 

But couldn't a piece of pvc lined with some thin foam inside that would stay snug against the eyepiece work. I'm just not sure what the distance of the camera to the spotter lens has to be but I'm sure someone out there has made their own.
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 13:36
Vortex has a universal spotting scope adapter for about $60. I don't know how well they work, but they look like they may work. It will fit various spotters and has an adjustable platform that your camera fits on.
Big Grin
Black Bear Road
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 16:32
I don't know how well this may work, but it is not too expensive and may be what you need.  I have never seen or tried one.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 22:07
This zen-ray  looks like the Vortex model I saw. It is half the price of the model I saw. I can't tell you how good they work.

Black Bear Road
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 08:59
This one works like a charm.   I particularly like the fact you can get everything set up correctly (which is the real PITA part of any universal adaptor), and then the arm that holds the camera will swing out of the way so you can check focus, zoom, etc as the animal moves.  You then simply swing it back over and take a picture.  One little trick I've learned, I get much better pictures if I use the timer (2 second interval) to take the pic instead of trying to snap it myself.  You can avoid lots of shake using the timer.  Good luck and have some fun with it. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Q=&sku=568634&is=USA&A=details
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic