OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Vipers just don't zing me...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylemorley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Vipers just don't zing me...
    Posted: February/03/2011 at 16:54
Been looking for a replacement for a pair of lovely old 7-35 Nikon porros that the Nikon repair dept trashed (literally!) and settled on Vortex Vipers. Everyone seems to love them, and at the closeout prices for the 32s  it seemed like a no brainer.

Now that I have them in my hands, they seem to be rugged, and be really nicely designed (love the stepped eyecups) and handle well. Only thing is, when I actually look through them, I just don't get that "zing" that one gets from looking through really good optics. OK, everyone has a different zing level, but mine is quite low since I make it a practice not to look through any binoculars which cost more than my car. One of the reasons I bought the Nikons 30 years ago is that they were the only binoculars that I could afford that gave me a bit of that zing.

Comparing the Vipers with a pair of nasty bottom of the line Nikon Actions that happened to be on hand, I can't swear I can tell the difference. Am I missing something? 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 17:51
Which configuration did you get?  If it is something like 10x32, then the exit pupil gets much smaller and hand tremor gets more prominent.  Along with decrease in depth perception due to roof prism design, it makes sense.

ILay
kylemorley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylemorley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 18:15
Actually, I have a 6x32 and an 8x32, as I have shaky hands, and was curious whether the loss of magnification would be offset by the steadier image (it is, though my non-shaky wife likes the 8xs.

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Which configuration did you get?  If it is something like 10x32, then the exit pupil gets much smaller and hand tremor gets more prominent.  Along with decrease in depth perception due to roof prism design, it makes sense.

ILay
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 18:23
Then it is likely that you are reacting to much less pronounced depth perception of roof binoculars vs porros.

6x32 Viper is probably my favourite binocular.

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 18:56
Originally posted by kylemorley kylemorley wrote:

Been looking for a replacement for a pair of lovely old 7-35 Nikon porros

One of the reasons I bought the Nikons 30 years ago is that they were the only binoculars that I could afford that gave me a bit of that zing.

Comparing the Vipers with a pair of nasty bottom of the line Nikon Actions that happened to be on hand, I can't swear I can tell the difference. Am I missing something? 

Kyle,

Now that you have tried the Viper and found it lacking, why not return to another Porro prism binocular?

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/03/2011 at 18:58
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 19:16
kyle, wow this is interesting! I just recently purchased a pair of Viper 6x32 and just this afternoon I was comparing them to a pair of Swavorski 8x30's that I have had for many years and a pair of 8x42 theron's. I have been amazed at the FOV and edge sharpness of the Vipers. I do alot of bowhunting and rattling for deer. Heck, I think I have found nirvana for this application. I guess we are all just different.

Randy
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 19:48
Welcome to OT, Kyle and Randy!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic