OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OHIO Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OHIO Hunting
    Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:43
I got the chance to go to Ohio (parkersburg) on an archery hunt. We arrived at 230pm on wed 1/19 after 11 hours of driving. The temp was 30's during the day with  a bunch of sunshine.On the evening hunt I thought it was not going to be to bad. WELL I was WRONG, wed night the temp dropped to -8lo 15 high. The morning hunt was COLD and at 10am it started to snow and did so for 24 hours straight. I have always wanted to hunt in the snow and now I can say I don't want to any more. well for the next 3 days it was in the teens and 6 inches of snow on the ground. It was pretty to say the leat but very hard to hunt in for this southern boy. I seen a ton of big doe but didn't take one as they satyed 60 yards away. here is a few pic's from the stand.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:48

At least you can say you did it.  Excellent
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:50
I honestly thought I lost a few toe's. It was stupid cold. It was different. It might not have been so bad If I could figure out how to dress. I wold swap boots and socks out in the stand in hopes my feet would stay warm.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:51
I bet next year, you connectWink

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/01/2011 at 07:51
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:52
Yeah I hope so, I'm going up in november during the rut if all works out right.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 08:05
BD, what about those battery powered sock warmers and a decent supply of hot coffee!!

That sounds cold, but at least you stuck it out!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 08:08
I believe if it came down to loosing a toe or hunting bigdaddy would just loose a toe! He's ya knowLoco
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 08:21
  On the coldest days I put one of these in each boot on top of my toes between my two pair of socks(poly first then smart wool).  Roasty toasty!  Don't do this if you'll be walking much.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 08:43
I did the hand/foot warmers and they didn't work. My feet still froze. I think my feet sweat and would get them wet. Yeah I would probably lose a toe before I would get down. after 4 hours my feet wouldn't hurt anymore and would go numb. It would take them 2 hours and a hot painful shower before I could feel them again. I love deer hunting.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 08:56
   Did you have your boots laced too tight or were your feet tight in the boots because of your socks? When I'm sitting for long periods I'll even loosen my boots some. I've sat from dark to dark and my feet stayed warm using those warmers.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 09:16
I'll give the loose boots a try next time.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 09:17

What kind of boots did you have on?  When its cold like this you need a "Pack" boot, not just a hunting boot. It also helps to place a pad under your boots so their not resting on the metal stand.  For my hands, I usually use a muff and put 4ea hot pockets in it. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 09:49

Raven Wear and Arctic Shield make boot blankets that wrap around your existing boots, they're used widely in Canada.

You may also "Google" Hot Mocs, I've never used them, but possibly someone here has.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 09:55
  I made a set of boot blankets out of the legs of an old pair of camo coveralls.  Worked!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 11:09
Pack boots and 2 pairs of socks (good wool socks over a 50% wool 50% nylon sock) is what I wear when out sitting for long periods.  Wore this when coyote hunting when it got down to -18 and stayed warm.  It is nice to hunt in fresh snow as long as it ain't 2' deep.  Then it is a pain in the rear. 
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 11:26
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Raven Wear and Arctic Shield make boot blankets that wrap around your existing boots, they're used widely in Canada.

You may also "Google" Hot Mocs, I've never used them, but possibly someone here has.

i wear arctic shield bibs and have one of their parkas too. im used to hunting in -20 here in november. welcome to my world bigdaddy!
i use 1200 gram thinsulate boots a pair of cotton socks and pair of carhartt wool socks and im good all day.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 13:42
heated boot socks work pretty well...  wear regular socks to where you are hunting, put on the heated socks, take them off when you start to leave... a little hassle, but they work really well that way. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 14:53
Two of the best items to have I've found is one of those cheap emergency rain poncho and take an old wool army blanket and cut a piece big enough to wrap all the way around you and long enough to cover from mid torso to your pants cuffs. Have your wife stich velcro around the top so that when you get on stand you can put it on like a wrap skirt. really helps to keep warm and isn't too heavy to carry in your day pack. The rain poncho comes in handy if the wind is blowing as many fabric's aren't wind proof and this thin layer of plastic does the trick.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 18:20
What socks were you wearing? Filson still sells some good ones.  Get some of the little all wool summer weight sock that are cut  below the ankle and use them as a liner sock.  Often what happens is that you sweat and then you stop moving and the stuff starts to freeze.  That's why you all wool or close to it.  Carhart insluated bibs and a wool Commando Sweater are also good ideas.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 23:14
I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. There are some boots with 2000 gram thinsulate  that I bought my boys.  Mine are 1200 gram and even with that to keep the feet reasonably warm it takes two pair of socks I have one pair that is polartec that I really like for the outer sock. I have also used the hand warmers in the boots and they make some that are specially made for foot use and one thing you guys should know is that if you put the regular hand warmers against your skin on your  feet the feet absorb the chemicals and it will make you sick so you might want a layer of plastic and on that note one easy way to keep your feet dry if your boots leak is to take a plastic grocery bag and put that outside your socks inside the boot.   Also using a polartec fleece vest or jacket under your coat is a good layering garment.   This sub zero temperature is nothing to stay out in unless you are properly equipped.  Pain is mother natures way of telling you to rethink what you are doing.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic