OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OHIO Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OHIO Hunting
    Posted: February/03/2011 at 17:50
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Thermacell's are great!!!!!

+10!!

Edited by tman1965 - February/03/2011 at 17:51
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 17:11
Have never used the Thermacells.  You might want to list it on the useful hunting gadgets/gizmo thread.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:57

Thermacell's are great!!!!!

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I had a feeling it wouldn't be cold there. what bug spray works best?

Not real sure.  They all seem to work o.k. as long as you apply enough.  The problem for me has been that I seem to be somewhat allergic to many of them.  I would just pick one that doesn't have a strong smell.

I know these work GREAT here. I'll be bringing it and hopefulls alot of refills. have you tryed one?

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:43
"cactus juice" works good too, and does not have a "bug spray" smell.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:14
have you tried "ultrathon" ted??

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:09

Not real sure.  They all seem to work o.k. as long as you apply enough.  The problem for me has been that I seem to be somewhat allergic to many of them.  I would just pick one that doesn't have a strong smell.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 13:04
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Raven Wear and Arctic Shield make boot blankets that wrap around your existing boots, they're used widely in Canada.

You may also "Google" Hot Mocs, I've never used them, but possibly someone here has.

i wear arctic shield bibs and have one of their parkas too. im used to hunting in -20 here in november. welcome to my world bigdaddy!
i use 1200 gram thinsulate boots a pair of cotton socks and pair of carhartt wool socks and im good all day.
What Arctic Shield bibs and parka do you wear?

Do they remain quiet in subzero temps?

What are you wearing underneath them for your base and additional layers?

i where the original jacket, but its gotta be damn cold to wear it.
im currently wearing the H3 bibs.
are they quiet? i dont know i sit in my stand and let the deer come to me.
for my layers, i wear a short sleeved cotton  t shirt, then a long sleeved cotton tshirt, and usually just my heavy weight carhartt sweatshirt and a blaze orange vest. if its really cold i have a blaze orange zip up sweatshirt. if its -25 i wear the arctic shield coat and a blaze orange vest. i use one pair of cotton socks and the heavy duty carhartt wool socks with a 1200gram thinsulate pair of irish setter boots. if it gets really cold i have a pair of 1200 gram thinsulate boots with a 9mm thick  removable liner that are supposed to be good to -165 or something. my feet dont ever get cold, even if i sit all day.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 22:35

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Lots of layers on your upper body and legs will help with the feets. One thing you might do is hike to the standand then change socks and boots if you sweat on the way there so you start out dry. Staying dry is a huge factor in staying warm.
I did that and it didn't work. I tryed everything. I was good for 2 hours then it went down hill fast.

Not sure what to tell you.  Guess I am just used to the cold since I live, work, and play in it all year.  Heat is what I don't handle too well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 17:37

That's it B/D, better to focus on the next hunt than to worry about the past one.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 14:13
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

My body,hands,face all stayed warm my feet is what froze. I'm going to have better boots and socks next trip to anywhere cold.

One thing's for absolute certain -- none of that will be required for your June visit here in TX.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 14:12
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Lots of layers on your upper body and legs will help with the feets. One thing you might do is hike to the standand then change socks and boots if you sweat on the way there so you start out dry. Staying dry is a huge factor in staying warm.
I did that and it didn't work. I tryed everything. I was good for 2 hours then it went down hill fast.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 13:57

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 13:55
I have been working outside at -20 to -10 for the last few days. I wear a pair of non insulated boots, but gortex, with only one pair of regular socks and designated to warmers worn on the bottom of the foot. This insulates the foot from the ice and metal on the forklift and I have yet to get cold feet that way till the toe warmers run out. The rest is about layers, and a big key is to not sweat. Once you do it is harder to stay warm because the sweat will freeze fast. Layers are long underwear, jeans, and carhart insulated bibs. Then a sweat shirt, jacket and a rain jacket, neck gator, hat and then a hood. Traps the heat it. Insulated leather gloves with hand warmers. I am out there usually for about eight hours. Of course I have the advantage of working in the cold all the time, so I am used to it. Probably harder for a southern boy to handle since you don't get that weather much.

Looks like perfect hunting to me. :-)

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 13:54

My body,hands,face all stayed warm my feet is what froze. I'm going to have better boots and socks next trip to anywhere cold.

One thing's for absolute certain -- none of that will be required for your June visit here in TX.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 13:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Raven Wear and Arctic Shield make boot blankets that wrap around your existing boots, they're used widely in Canada.

You may also "Google" Hot Mocs, I've never used them, but possibly someone here has.

i wear arctic shield bibs and have one of their parkas too. im used to hunting in -20 here in november. welcome to my world bigdaddy!
i use 1200 gram thinsulate boots a pair of cotton socks and pair of carhartt wool socks and im good all day.
What Arctic Shield bibs and parka do you wear?

Do they remain quiet in subzero temps?

What are you wearing underneath them for your base and additional layers?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 10:31
As crazy as it may sound, another thing alot of people overlook, that really will help keep your feet warm, as well as the rest of your body is a good "sock hat".  My Grandad always used to say, If your feet are cold, put your hat on. It works!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 07:21

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 05:24

Tell you another thing NOT to do.  Use underarm antiperspirant on your feet.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 23:14
I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. There are some boots with 2000 gram thinsulate  that I bought my boys.  Mine are 1200 gram and even with that to keep the feet reasonably warm it takes two pair of socks I have one pair that is polartec that I really like for the outer sock. I have also used the hand warmers in the boots and they make some that are specially made for foot use and one thing you guys should know is that if you put the regular hand warmers against your skin on your  feet the feet absorb the chemicals and it will make you sick so you might want a layer of plastic and on that note one easy way to keep your feet dry if your boots leak is to take a plastic grocery bag and put that outside your socks inside the boot.   Also using a polartec fleece vest or jacket under your coat is a good layering garment.   This sub zero temperature is nothing to stay out in unless you are properly equipped.  Pain is mother natures way of telling you to rethink what you are doing.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic