OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The one you love the most (Gun)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The one you love the most (Gun)
    Posted: January/31/2011 at 15:12
I was sitting in front of my gun safe the other day having a beer and dusting off my collection. My wife wanted me out of her way so she could clean. Nothing needed dusting, and the weather was crap so I didnt want to go any where. I sat there thinking about all the stories these guns could tell. The BB gun sittin there that my G-Pa gave me when I was 5, the .22 he gave when I was 8, and all the other ones I've bought or inherited. Bored with my mind wandering I sat there thinking which one of these firearms I love the most. But the problem was I love them all, and they all have good stories to tell. I told myself pick just one as the one and only! I'm glad my wife wanted me out of the way for awhile because this would not be easy. I picked one after much debate.

So this is my question for you guys and gals. If you had to do what I just did which one would you pick and why.  But remember you can only pick ONE! and tell us why!

My pick was my Beretta 686 Over & Under

I am a O/U nut. I have purchased nicer and more expensive O/U's since then, but this is my true love. I was in my early 20's when I bought her, and I had $1200.00 cash. I was debating between that one and a Browning. But when I put the Beretta up and to my face I knew it was a perfect fit. The gun was priced at $1200, but that was all I had. I asked the guy at the store if he could get me out the door tax and all for the cash I had, and he said yes. He even threw in 2 boxes of shells and a shell bag for free. I had told him I wanted it to shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays. When I went to count out the money the old guy started laughing and asked me why hands were shaking. I did not realize it, but they were shaking bad. I told him I had never handed over that much cash, I had bought more expensive stuff but never with cash. He laughed and said it was not the first time he had heard that. I spent the next couple of weekends shooting it at the local club, and ran into that old guy later on. We shot 2 rounds of trap, and I beat him both times. A couple weeks went by and ran into his shooting buddy, the old man wasnt around. I asked if he and his buddy had some cash I would shoot with them jokingly. He looked at me funny and asked if I had heard, I said heard what? He said that he had died that week following.

So that is the one gun I love more than the rest, She has more stories to tell including my first turkey but my fingers are cramping lol. She even has a name "Double D's"

Remember you can only pick one! And please tell us why you love that one.

Hey "Old Man" I hope the hunting is good in heaven!
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 15:32
It would be a toss up between the 1941 Long Branch Enfield No.4 I am restoring but who's stories are some one elses (Oh but what stories they might be)and my Winchester Model 70 that I have owned since summer 1984 and was the first new firearm I ever bought.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 15:38
no doubt in my mind here. my grand father was a collector of fine winchester rifles, especially stuff in small calibers. my favorite one is the fine version of a model 43 in a .218bee.similar to the one below except his wears a leupold m8-12x a.o. love that gun shot tons of ammo through it. explosive on pdogs and gophers.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 16:50
Originally posted by KY Hick KY Hick wrote:

I was sitting in front of my gun safe the other day having a beer and dusting off my collection. My wife wanted me out of her way so she could clean. Nothing needed dusting, and the weather was crap so I didnt want to go any where. I sat there thinking about all the stories these guns could tell. The BB gun sittin there that my G-Pa gave me when I was 5, the .22 he gave when I was 8, and all the other ones I've bought or inherited. Bored with my mind wandering I sat there thinking which one of these firearms I love the most. But the problem was I love them all, and they all have good stories to tell. I told myself pick just one as the one and only! I'm glad my wife wanted me out of the way for awhile because this would not be easy. I picked one after much debate.

So this is my question for you guys and gals. If you had to do what I just did which one would you pick and why.  But remember you can only pick ONE! and tell us why!

My pick was my Beretta 686 Over & Under

I am a O/U nut. I have purchased nicer and more expensive O/U's since then, but this is my true love. I was in my early 20's when I bought her, and I had $1200.00 cash. I was debating between that one and a Browning. But when I put the Beretta up and to my face I knew it was a perfect fit. The gun was priced at $1200, but that was all I had. I asked the guy at the store if he could get me out the door tax and all for the cash I had, and he said yes. He even threw in 2 boxes of shells and a shell bag for free. I had told him I wanted it to shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays. When I went to count out the money the old guy started laughing and asked me why hands were shaking. I did not realize it, but they were shaking bad. I told him I had never handed over that much cash, I had bought more expensive stuff but never with cash. He laughed and said it was not the first time he had heard that. I spent the next couple of weekends shooting it at the local club, and ran into that old guy later on. We shot 2 rounds of trap, and I beat him both times. A couple weeks went by and ran into his shooting buddy, the old man wasnt around. I asked if he and his buddy had some cash I would shoot with them jokingly. He looked at me funny and asked if I had heard, I said heard what? He said that he had died that week following.

So that is the one gun I love more than the rest, She has more stories to tell including my first turkey but my fingers are cramping lol. She even has a name "Double D's"

Remember you can only pick one! And please tell us why you love that one.

Hey "Old Man" I hope the hunting is good in heaven!

I just wanted to say, great story and thanks for letting us hear about your memories.  I am not good at telling stories like that, but I guess my favorite gun has to be my Remington Model 1100 12 gauge shotgun Santa Claus brought me when I was 11 years old.  Santa did not collect guns, he liked them and we had two 32 S&W revolvers in the house, one from him and the other from my mom, the later of which was purported to be an old mob gun.  Oh I am southern, but she was Italian and my grandmother lived with us.  I remember I took it at at out lake house with some old ammo and shot it at a pine tree and the bullet stuck in the bark.  Enough of that.  The 1100 was and still is sweet.  I have added a 28 inch barrel with threads for rem chokes.  I used to be a fine shot with it, but I probably could not hit a quail from a point on dog at 25 yards.  Back when I was a kid, we did not have a dog to hunt quail, nor did I ever, but we just used to walk through the fields near the lake house and the quail would rise with a thunder and we got pretty good hitting them with that IC choke on that old barrel.  I still have the barrel and have never shot the gun with the new barrel I got a couple years back.  Yep, that is the gun I love the most.  Great topic.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 16:58
For me It would be My Pepper laminate/blue Tikka t3 hunter .308.  I stood beside my son while he took his first big game animal, a 220lb feral hog using that rifle. If I could keep 2, I would add my custom siamese mauser in 444 marlin, because that rifle just feels like an old friend, and will absolutely flatten anything prowling the woods I hunt in.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 18:24
KY as you didn't specify type I'm going to say my 1911.It's my favorite because of the history,I'm a first born male 3rd generation Navy.My grand father had one from 1917 to 1920,my father had one from1941 to 1946 & I had one from 1965 to 1969.

Another peice of history:I'ts the only gun to have ever captchered a tank,Sgt.York in WWl.

My favorited big gun:5"38....Now that had some recoil [:}

My favorite rifle:Rem R5 milspec in .308.Took me 2 yrs to totally personalize it & it shoots like tac driver!

Sorry for exceeding the 1 gun rule but you wanted a little historyBig Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 18:50
dont care what kind of gun, pistol, shotgun, or BB. Just want to see the luv out there. LOL.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 19:11
The one I cherish the most would be my Winchester model 88 chambered in 308. My wife went to a gunshow with me right before our second Christmas together ( married that is ). I had used her fathers' 88, and really liked it. So the only one in the show was a post 64model that was still new, unfired. $415 in 1992, was a lot of money for us just starting out good. She could tell I liked the rifle. I went to the restroom, and when I got out, there she stood with it, and said " Merry Christmas".
 I use that rifle on every 1st hunt of the season. I have other 88's in different calibers, and have other nice rifles of varying grades, calibers, and manufacturers, but this 88 from her is the most cherished. 
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 06:21
My Ruger .44 sporter carbine.  Have walked the woods with her for 40 years and has never let me down if I was up to the task.  She now wears glass in deference to my older eyes.
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 06:39

What else.  My .300 S&W.  I do upgrade scopes on it.  4X Conquest now.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:24
My re-stocked 300H&H Sako.

This rifle belonged to my father, which he bought in the mid 60's. Many an interesting hunt this rifle has been on. I have done my fair share of hunting with it. The bolt is super slick and oozes a feel of quality.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 00:22

300 Weatherby deluxe .. I just had to have one after I saw my girlfriends ( now my wife) fathers 270 Wby Deluxe ,.. Like the Mercedes of rifles

Edited by martin3175 - February/06/2011 at 08:52
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 10:02
Most nostalgia-inducing: My 94 Winchester in .32 Win Special. It was my first "big" gun given me by my father in 1958 when I was 10. It was brand new.

On my very first hunt with it that fall, a very foggy and crisp October morning in the forests of NE Washington State, a large whitetail buck was jumped by my Dad and crashed its way through the dark enshrouded woods towards me.

It appeared surreally from the fog at a trot onto the little ridge cap opening in which I stood, it's antlers high and forward. There was no color, only whiteness of the fog and the darkness of the trotting buck at whom I was for a second transfixed with a sort of disbelief.

Bringing that '94 to my shoulder I fired and was startled by the large sheet of brilliant white/orange flame which exploded forward from the little carbine barrel.....and another......and another, a total of four at my first buck as he was again enveloped by the fog.

Heart pounding, and running toward his tracks, emotions began to crash as I could find not a drop of blood. My Dad soon joined, but despite being able to follow the tracks a great distance, it soon became evident the buck was untouched.

And then my Dad asked the question that has haunted me to this day: "Where did you hold on him, kid?" There had been, of course, so many things to think of, and such powerful adrenalin surging, and the hypnosis of that ghost-like gray buck trotting across my view, that I had given no real consideration to such detail. I had of course confirmed that J.M. Brownings lever-action design was fast and smooth and a thing of beauty to behold.

And it still is, with a special position in the rack, and a magical ability to transport me through six decades, viewed by me with reverence.
Terry Lamb
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 10:13
Toss up between the 300 Wby Accumark, which is a blast to shoot, or .270 Vanguard "youth carbine" model. It's light, short, handy, and very accurate.
Accumark

.270 on the bottm. With that short LOP, and 20" barrel, it is a quick handling little rifle......And, as you can see, she's seen some use.Big Smile

Edited by trigger29 - February/03/2011 at 10:15

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 11:00
you got something against wby?Bucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 11:32
Originally posted by Terry Lamb Terry Lamb wrote:

Most nostalgia-inducing: My 94 Winchester in .32 Win Special. It was my first "big" gun given me by my father in 1958 when I was 10. It was brand new.

On my very first hunt with it that fall, a very foggy and crisp October morning in the forests of NE Washington State, a large whitetail buck was jumped by my Dad and crashed its way through the dark enshrouded woods towards me.

It appeared surreally from the fog at a trot onto the little ridge cap opening in which I stood, it's antlers high and forward. There was no color, only whiteness of the fog and the darkness of the trotting buck at whom I was for a second transfixed with a sort of disbelief.

Bringing that '94 to my shoulder I fired and was startled by the large sheet of brilliant white/orange flame which exploded forward from the little carbine barrel.....and another......and another, a total of four at my first buck as he was again enveloped by the fog.

Heart pounding, and running toward his tracks, emotions began to crash as I could find not a drop of blood. My Dad soon joined, but despite being able to follow the tracks a great distance, it soon became evident the buck was untouched.

And then my Dad asked the question that has haunted me to this day: "Where did you hold on him, kid?" There had been, of course, so many things to think of, and such powerful adrenalin surging, and the hypnosis of that ghost-like gray buck trotting across my view, that I had given no real consideration to such detail. I had of course confirmed that J.M. Brownings lever-action design was fast and smooth and a thing of beauty to behold.

And it still is, with a special position in the rack, and a magical ability to transport me through six decades, viewed by me with reverence.

ExcellentExcellentExcellent Well done. I have the same gun (from my Dad also).

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 18:23
MY NEW TOY GLOCK 20 10mm

Edited by Ted_Nugent007 - February/04/2011 at 18:24
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 19:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you got something against wby?Bucky
If you look real close, one of them isn't a Wby.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 19:53
yeah i know, but only oneWink
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 21:26
M1a

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic