OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Win 70 243win scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win 70 243win scope
    Posted: January/31/2011 at 01:14
Do the members think that a 6x36 Leupold or  a 6x42 Leupold is sufficient for ranges out to 200 yards?  This rifle is tight.  I am amazed at the accuracy.  It had a nasty, hazzy view 2-7 Leupold on it for years and it shot fine.  I was thinking thata  fixed 6 might be the ticket.  Its between that and 3-9x40 or 3-9x33 light weight.  The rifle in question I believe is their featherweight.

Opinions would be appreciated.

JR Dorsey 
When you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. To test, compete with, and critize others weakens and defeats you.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 01:18
A 6x is plenty of magnification for 200 yards, and is a great all around scope, but sometimes it is nice to have a wide field of view on low powers on a variable.

Have you looked at the discounted Vortex Viper 2-7X32?
-Matt
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 01:37
6x42 would be an excellent choice for a hunting scope.... but like mentioned above, I would take a look at the viper 2-7x32. for what you can buy these for right now, it's gonna be pretty tough to beat!
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:13
Those 2 you mentioned are good scopes but you can do much better...have a good look at the suggested Viper or have a good look at something like a Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 as there's some deals out there as the whole Elite line is being rejigged.
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 10:55
Why not just get Leupold to repair your current scope and use that? That's what I'd do.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 11:04
The FX3  6x42 with long range duplex is an absolutely fantastic choice. I had one in a heavy duplex that I just traded in toward an illuminated scope but the new FX3 glass is a huge improvement over the older stuff so buy the 6x42  FX3 it's a winner!

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 17:31
Compare the price of the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and the FXIII 6x40...  I'd skip the FX2 for the better glass.  There is the SS6x if you want to play with the knobs a lot. 

The big questions to me are: 1) How dark are you going to shoot?  2) How much brush are you going to be in? 3) How much do you have to play with the knobs?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

JDorsey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 20:19
I do seem to shoot later rather than earlier.

Hunting, there is brush and woods.

Target shooting, its wide open.

I had not even thought about sending the Leupold back for an upgrade / repair solution.

I will get on that soon.

When you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. To test, compete with, and critize others weakens and defeats you.
JDorsey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 20:20
I'm not a fan of the knobs.  Simpler is better for a fellow like me.
brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 17:52
Definately send the fuzzy scope to Leupold.  They offer the best support in the business.  You will not be disappointed.
Brian
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 06:51
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

Why not just get Leupold to repair your current scope and use that? That's what I'd do.
This is how I'd remedy the problem.

I dropped a rifle three years ago during deer season. It broke the scope (Old VX-II) at the point where the objective bell meets the main tube. I returned the scope to Leupold, they couldn't fix it but took the old scope as trade and only charged me $100.00 for a new VX-II. Not a bad deal IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic