OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice Sought on Rings & Bases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice Sought on Rings & Bases
    Posted: January/31/2011 at 00:48
I have a new Savage 10 in 308 Win.  Left hand action.  About a 24 inch barrel.  Has the accu stock and accu trigger features.  

To the rifle is mounted a QD flashhider by Gem-Tech.  For use with my Gem-Tech HVT.

The scope is a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14.5x56 LR QDMA, Leupold # 66795.  It's a much heavier scope than I am used to.  30mm, illumination and all.  I really like the appearance of the scope front glass, the general overall quality of the scope and the clarity it provides.  The illumination is something new for me too.  I've had red dots on ar's and ak's, but that is the extent of illuminated reticles.

Its just a 308 caliber, not much recoil.  So the thought of using aluminum Burris XTR Low or aluminum Tactical Precision TSR Low rings with a Brownells aluminum picatinny base.  I've used the Brownells steel bases and they were ok.  I suppose I could even go with the super low TSR rings given the low to bore 56mm front.  But the bottom line is aluminum ok for the purposes below.

I suppose to get to the point, is will the aluminum bases and rings (leaning to TSR) handle the 308 recoil on a heavy rifle with a heavy scope.

I am no tactical kind of shooter.  The maximum distance at my range is 500 yards.  Most of the time I will shoot with the scope at low power at a 100 yard local public range.  I am usually easy going on my firearms.

I know this should not be so stressful, I am just hoping that some of you people have had decent experiences with the caliber combo proposed.

I know I could go with a Badger Ring set us or a Leupold Mark 4, but if aluminum is enough, then it is enough.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions the members may have.  I'd like to buy the rings and bases by the end of this week.

Thanks,
JR Dorsey
When you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. To test, compete with, and critize others weakens and defeats you.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 03:21
they should be fine
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 05:43
Aluminium is more than good. I would not recommend the Burris rings though. TPS should do well though.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 11:21
I agree, I think the aluminum will be fine
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 11:27
Beware of that QD mount, it has a little "play" when used with the HVT.  I have seen bad things happen when HVTs with QD mounts are supported on the can (accidentally or not.)

For $75, GemTech will swap the QD for a thread-on attachment point, I would highly recommend that if you do plan to shoot suppressed.

It is a good can, and might serve you well for many years; however, a baffle strike will ruin your day, and the HVT QD has more play than most others.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JDorsey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 20:12
Thanks all.  TPS it is.

ALso regarding the Gemtech mount.  My barrel was threaded from Savage.  My dealer had originally ordered what he called a tension mount.  He swapped me out mine for the threaded flash suppressor.  He screwed it on with the recommended thread lock, I am hoping it will do okay.

Thanks again.

John  
When you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. To test, compete with, and critize others weakens and defeats you.
jmg8550 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmg8550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 18:14
Burris rings will serve just fine. I have the same setup rifle including left hand bolt. I use all Burris hardware. XTB bases, XTR rings, and an XTR scope. A very nice setup for the money. Just make sure to properly torque the rings and bases.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic