OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22 LR vs coyotes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 21:14
Meant to clear up my avatar too.  Relatives in TX, but live in IA.  Got the nickname Texas from a friend in college.  A whole other story...

Prairie doggin' is definitely on my bucket list - hunting them that is.  Just thought I should clear that one up.  Wouldn't want anyone taking that like my brother did once with his kid on a long trip and having to stop for a #2. Whacko
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 22:07
i have killed a bunch of coyotes with a 22 lr.but mostly less than a 100 yards .i always go for a lung chest shot.sometimes they run 75 yards before they die but most just a few feet.i have killed most of them without a scope.i would use your rifle just like it is , up to 100 yds a scope isn't necessary on coyotes.i use stingers at times and like them.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 20:09
I don't particularly like coyotes, but I'd hate to wound one with a .22, which I did when I was a dumb kid. I'm sure he died soon after I hit him in the chest, but he took off into rough ground and I never found him in the short time I looked and I've felt bad about that for over 40 yrs. Never again.

Another dumb thing I did when I was a kid was to immediately start to 'customize' an old .30-40 Krag inherited from my Grandfather. Yet another one of my stupid stunts with no going back.

It's a wonder I've lived so long.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 20:20
Originally posted by bluejay84 bluejay84 wrote:

Tman, yes, looks a lot like that one.

Put a scope on it - NEVER!  I had no idea what the story of this gun was other than I inherited it.  Definitely will keep it in as good of condition as possible.  Now I'm wondering if I should be insuring it as a rider.  Does anyone know what it's worth?

Finally, I'm a bit Native American when it comes to hunting.  There's something about giving thanks to that animal for giving its life for my meal.  That said, I'm not planning on eating any coyote but even so I don't believe they should suffer in their death either. So no .22 hunting for them.  As it was said, I'll look into one of the other suggestions when the time comes.  Maybe research them best as I can so I know a real deal when / if it comes along.

Thanks guys!  Now I'm thinking I need to put the other two guns out there and get some history on those as well.  Which forum should I be posting, or does it really matter?  I just don't want to make the scope forum into something it isn't, nor neglect  some good reading in one of the other forums by posting stuff here. 

DANG!  THIS IS FUN!

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 22:36
The almost anything goes forum is a good place for general questions.  The firearms fourm would be a good place for asking about rifles.  To find value of that rifle you might ask the guys a scheels if they have a book of values next time you are in there.  If you want a 22mag I know where there is a good deal on one.  I tend to think you need a tikka stainless composite to round out your collection  I was looking real hard at one in a .243 today, that would stomp a coyote.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic