OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 BRH reticle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 BRH reticle
    Posted: January/30/2011 at 18:14
I got to the range today and thought I would share some first impressions of my new Z3.

First, here are some pics of her mounted on the Elkinator:

Range time:

My first set of TPS rings were a dream!.  They required very little lapping.  I used the old eyeball-through-the-bore bore sighting method, and had the scope zeroed in 4 shots (more on this later).  A sub 1/2 MOA group later and I start ringing steel at 300 yards.  It became quickly apparent that this scope and rifle needed some more range.  I can't wait to stretch it out!

Optical performance:

The Z3 series is marked that it is assembled in the USA.  I don't know if the optical components are sourced from Austria or wherever, but I will say this:  This scope is optically superb.  The field of view is quite wide.  There is little to no tunnel effect and the eyebox is quite forgiving.  Eye relief is listed at 3.54 inches.  It is all of that and CONSTANT throughout the magnification range.  The image is clean, bright, and flat.  In fact, the image is similar to a high end 50mm spotter.  CA control is really good.  The weather a the range was cold (28 degrees F) and snowing.  There were a lot of high-conrast subjects at the range.  There was very, very little color fringing.  Images stay sharp until very near the edge.  As far as resolution goes, I was able to resolve a tiny print ad on the bottom of my paper target at 100 yards.  This is the first rifle scope I've used that performed at that level. 

This scope out-resolves and has noticeably better CA control to my Zeiss Conquest.

Overall my initial optical impressions of this scope are overwhelmingly positive.

Build/Ergonomics:

This scope feels extremely light for it's objective size and power range.  The scope also looks extremely sleek for a 1 inch tube 50mm objective scope.  It looks right on my Sendero.  The power ring turns with moderate force, and very smoothly.  There is no parallax adjustment.  The parallax of my BRH-equipped model is set at the factory at 200 meters.  Non-BRX/H models are factory set at 100 meters.  The sleekness will definitely aid in using scabbards, which is one of the main reasons I chose this scope.

Adjustments:

Well, not everything went perfect with this scope.  After the first shot, I was four inches low and five inches left.  I dialed the adjustment and shot again.  Three inches high and two inches left.  Hmmm.  Adjust again.  Fire.  Elevation perfect.  Windage still one inch left.  Adjust four clicks right.  Fire.  Dead nuts. Two more shots, and I have a tiny three shot group right where it should be. 

My best guess is the adjustments were likely accurate, but the new mounts had to "settle" through the first few shots from the 300 RUM.  Time will tell on how it holds up.  I did not get this scope for dialing dope.  This is a set-it-and-forget-it setup.

Reticle:

The BRH is the "heavy" version of the BRX ballistic reticle from Swarovski.  I liked the idea of the BRX, but when I first saw one, I knew immediately it was way to thin to be a practical hunting reticle for me.  The BRH is heavier, but still thinner than I would like.  It is quite a bit thinner than my Rapid Z 600 reticle.  I will have to do some low light testing with this reticle.  However, it was easy to pick up in the falling snow and less-than-ideal conditions at the range.

Here is a pic of the reticle, just to show setup and thickness:

Conclusion:

My first range experience was quite positive.  I am hopeful for this scope, and I will keep the OT updated!

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - January/31/2011 at 09:33
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 03:33
Glad you like it.  Good write up
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:13
Thanks for the review, Matt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 09:47
Matt, thanks for the review.  The Sendero and z3 make one hell of a combo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 19:11
Thanks for a good review Matt.I also agree with you on the BRX ret.I made the mistake of buying a Z5 with the BRX,way to thin.It will be making a trip to SWARO for a change to plex & a ballistic turret shortly.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 19:20
Good deal! Thanks for the write up! 

bp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 18:23
Thanks Matt.
This is what I was looking for in choosing a scope for the 280 AI I am am having built.  No Swaro dealer close so I would have picked the wrong ret. (BRX). 

I am starting to wonder if I would gain much over a 4a or 4plex ret. at the ranges I would feel good about  shooting at (400 yd or less).  

Bruce
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 18:37
Originally posted by bp bp wrote:

Thanks Matt.This is what I was looking for in choosing a scope for the 280 AI I am am having built.  No Swaro dealer close so I would have picked the wrong ret. (BRX).  I am starting to wonder if I would gain much over a 4a or 4plex ret. at the ranges I would feel good about  shooting at (400 yd or less).   Bruce

bp,

If you are going to shoot 400 yards, I think the BRH would be a better choice, because you are past the maximum point blank range for the rifle. I have found practicing with a ballistic reticle to be confidence inspiring. YMMV
-Matt
bp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 22:01
You are probably right on the ballistic ret.  I've not had a problem with plex and holdover on current 270 but I've not needed to shoot at animals much past 300 yds, wind and longer ranges makes me nervous, and I am used to the rifle.

The BRH would be helpful with with long shots at long range paper, rocks and just in case.

However, I don't want to give up versatility for help on a rare  shot hunting.  A rapid Z 600 is ok but the ones I've looked through seem slower to get lined up.  The Swaro looks a bit less cluttered.  I'm over 50 and maybe all the extra lines in the scope just confuse me.Big Grin

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 06:45
Hey Matt!!!!

Have you gotten and played with your new bino's yet?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 18:33
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Hey Matt!!!!

Have you gotten and played with your new bino's yet?

Hello Bud!!!

They are still in the brown truck, en route.

Hammer
-Matt
Codhagee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codhagee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 18:00
I also have a sendaro 300WM and I'm looking at ether a Z3 or Z5. I would like to know if u have shot anything past 300 yds and what power magnification of the two would you recommend? I do know that I too want the BRH. Just want something that will not leave me wanting more on a elk hunt. Thanks for your review.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 18:05
300 yards is as far as I've gotten so far.  As soon as the Montana weather takes a turn for the better, I'll be stretching it out on some steel.

As far as magnification goes, I would say either the 3.5-10 or the 4-12 would be ideal for a magnum elk rifle.  The remarkable resolution of these scopes makes extra magnification unnecessary. 
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 23:32
Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2011 at 00:30
Nice write-up, Sir!

ILya
brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 19:26
I'm a little late to the party, but what a professionaly written review. 
Thanks for all the information.
Brian
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 07:05
Bitterroots, what caliber was your Remington Sendero?  
D. Holmes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 10:33
She is a 300 RUM.
-Matt
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 13:22
Matt,
Fine job, sir- many thanks!

Don't you just love a good RUM?
None of that wimpy Roy or STW stuff- overbore!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 15:34
I too love TPS rings. Are those mediums?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic