OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Better than acog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilikeguns111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better than acog?
    Posted: January/30/2011 at 11:08
Is there anything better than a acog for a ar15? As a do everything scope? Range, shtf, HD, etc...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 12:31
This group of scopes have come a long ways since the acog was first introduced, and there are many, but as anything it depends on your budget. SWFA's new 1x4 ffp should be given a close look, and if your up for it the z6i swaro in the lowest mag range. Ranging isn't really as important in this group of scopes as others as the target distances with ar rarely exceed 400yds.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 16:25
I would take a look at the SS 1-4 as well.  I am thinking about switching to one at some point over my Aimpoint, and I love the Aimpoints on the ARs.  I usually just use the Aimpoint by itself, but now and then I borrow a friends flip magnifier and run longer ranges with it, but the SS 1-4 circle reticle has my interest.

Edited to add, I like the Aimpoints better than the ACOGs, but that is just my personal preference. Never cared for the ACOGs when I got to play with them, and didn't care for the price.

Edited by helo18 - January/30/2011 at 16:26
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 21:42
The SS 1x4 will be on top of my next AR for sure.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 10:45

Everyone will have a different opinion on this. The new 1-4 FFP Super Sniper is an awesome choice.  If a guy needs to be able to go from one power to just a little magnification there are several scopes that zoom from very low to usually 4x some higher.  I have both Comp m4 and M4s and three ACOGS two of which are compact ACOG models and of all of them my favorite is the TA442 amber triangle 1.5x which I find is capable of sub moa groups at 300 yds working off the point of the triangle.  It really depends on how you use the gun and for some applications you can get away with more magnification but for fast action shooting the lower power 1.5x and 2x compact ACOG will give you good illumination working with clear glass and the aimpoint has a bit of a tint to the glass which in  low light reduces how bright the view is.  Army went Aimpoint, USMC went ACOG there are reasons to do both and reasons to do neither.  Competition guys seem to prefer the variable so if you do three gun comptition buy the Super Sniper 1-4

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 10:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic