OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold FX-3 6X42 vs SS 6X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold FX-3 6X42 vs SS 6X42
    Posted: January/30/2011 at 08:06
 Gentleman I would like to hear some opinions on the glass vs glass on these two scopes. I have two SS3X9s and two FXII leupolds. I need another 6X42 and don't know which way to go on this. Features are not as much an issue as glass for me, either will work for what I have in mind. My eyes are not as good as they once were so glass is becoming more important to me lately.  As stated I have SS's and leupolds and like them both for the same reasons, "they work". Thanks for any and all replies.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 12:58
I have both there is a huge difference in features one is a tactical scope with large tactical knobs the other is solely a hunting scope.  The Leupold FX3 has very nice glass and would be similar to glass in the 3-9 SS or a Zeiss Conquest. The 6x42 Super Sniper is pretty good glass but the FX3 is a litttle better glass not so much that it is a deal breaker thought  because the usefulness of the mil dot reticle and the tactical knobs are very useful features.   The FX3 6.42 with long range duplex is about ideal for a hunting scope.  The 6X42 Super Sniper is about ideal for a police tactical scope. Both give you a 7mm exit eye pupil and are very bright in low light. On the plus side the quality of the knobs on my 6x42 SS is improved from the quality of the knobs on my 10x42M from 3 yrs ago.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I have both there is a huge difference in features one is a tactical scope with large tactical knobs the other is solely a hunting scope.  The Leupold FX3 has very nice glass and would be similar to glass in the 3-9 SS or a Zeiss Conquest. The 6x42 Super Sniper is pretty good glass but the FX3 is a litttle better glass not so much that it is a deal breaker thought  because the usefulness of the mil dot reticle and the tactical knobs are very useful features.   The FX3 6.42 with long range duplex is about ideal for a hunting scope.  The 6X42 Super Sniper is about ideal for a police tactical scope. Both give you a 7mm exit eye pupil and are very bright in low light. On the plus side the quality of the knobs on my 6x42 SS is improved from the quality of the knobs on my 10x42M from 3 yrs ago.

Agreed on all counts!  Interesting to hear you found the same improvement between knobs on your SS.  My 10X42 from several years ago was a bit mushy occasionally, but my 6X42 is absolutely crisp!  Both are dead nuts accurate, however.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:57
I had a Leupy FX3 6X42. It was quite good and I liked it a lot. It's gone now, but I would not hesitate to get another.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
troweler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 16:26
It seems all of you are leaning towards the leupold. Any idea how the hold over marks would work out for a 55gr. 223 for the LR retical model? I wouldn't be using the rifle for anything other than plinking and a little target practice. The rifle is a remington vtr, 22 in. barrel. Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find out anywhere else. I can't find anything on the leupold website about the subtentions of that retical or I could probably figure it out for myself or get close anyway.Thanks again for the replies you guys are the best.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic