OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Night Vision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night Vision
    Posted: January/29/2011 at 19:14
This probably isn't the place, so direct me before you condemn me.  Now that I have my new toy, I figured I better get something for my wife.  The great thing here is that she'll think it's totally cool and I'm sure will come in handy for me as well.  I've seen some night vision scopes and binoculars out there at the box stores and was wondering if anyone owns them and has any opinions on them.  I'm looking at spending anywhere from $300 - $600.  Thanks.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 11:12
Just don't have un-real expectations.  The resolution is not great.  They do not like the light "noise" from most urban areas as they are easily over powered.   Understand that even the B&C grade stuff is in high demand for security and military use.  This stuff is down on the totem pole. 

They are fun and "enlightening".  You can see a lot more than you can with a flash light or "Q-beam" and not bring attention.   This route make sence before you drop a couple of grand for the real stuff.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

bluejay84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 20:37
Fortunately I live in the  country and although there is some light pollution, there isn't nearly as much as if we were right in the heart of it all.  I saw one in a dark room where I couldn't see anything in a corner and was wowed with how it "lightened" things up.  I know there not military quality, but for our wooded ravine and timber in the north 40 it could be pretty fun.  Also, even though it would be a toy for her, I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have it to search out those pesky coyotes.  It's easy to find their holes but not quite as easy to see them coming and going.

So, the next question, does anyone have any experience with them?  Does any brands stand out more than others?  If they're like scopes, more $$$ doesn't always mean better quality.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic