OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Eye Relief

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilliams1848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta Eye Relief
    Posted: January/29/2011 at 11:43
I am considering purchasing a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 for a 35 Whelen single shot. I have read as many posts as possible that talk about the short eye relief of the Meoptas. I guess I have two questions. First, is the eye relief that is advertised as 3.5 inches correct? I know that the older Meopta catalogs prior to 2010 showed it to have 75mm or about 2.9 inches of eye relief. Second, is the 35 too much gun for a short eye relief if in fact Meopta is closer to 3 inches instead of 3.5? Thanks to all who comment in advance.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 16:30
It really depends on the individual behind the scope, 3" inches is very tight for some, while it is more than enough for others.  I have an R1 4-12x40 on a 300wby and haven't been bitten, if you are the type that climbs the stock it may be an issue. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 16:39
Meopta has tweaked the eyepiece on some models recently, although I am not entirely sure which ones.  On the 3-12x56 I looked at, I remember it being somewhere between 3 and 3.5 inches.

ILya
GoldenDog1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 16:58
Don't know if you're still looking for feedback on your original question, but I ran into the same dilemma trying to get a definitive answer on eye relief of the Meostar.  As of this time, Meopta lists in their website a 3.5" eye relief in the specs of the Meostar 3-12x56 and 3.75" for their Meopro line.  On both SWFA and Eurooptics websites, the relief for the Meostar is listed at 3", while competitor lists 75mm.  I called Meopta N.A. offices and was told that 3.5 is accurate.  I asked whether it is a fixed eye relief versus changing with magnification and was told it was fixed.  I also asked whether their was any recent mechanical modifications which would have increased the relief from the 3" that two of their larger distributors currently advertise as the eye relief.  I was told that the eye relief was 3.5"!!  I must say I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the guy I was talking to knew the history of his scope's specs.  He sounded more like some temp/contract reading from the riflescope specification chart or possibly merely repeating the current Meopta marketing "talk track".  If I were you, I would take Ilya's observation on the scope and use that info for your decision making as to whether the eye relief is sufficient for your rifle.  It sure would be nice if Chris Farris would get the straight skinny on this question and post it accordingly.  How about it Chris?  I'm still looking to purchase one myself.
bwilliams1848 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilliams1848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 18:55
I emailed Meopta and got the same info you did with no regard to the fact that I asked if it had changed in my email. So after I got the reply, I called and spoke to the gentleman who had replied to my earlier email, pointing out in earlier Meopta literature it clearly stated 75mm as the eye relief. He had no idea as to why it was printed that way but said it had always been 3.5 inches. I guess I'm going to lean more towards a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50. I've looked through them and know that the eye relief is better (or seemed that way). Everything I've read seems to say that the Conquest is a good scope and should be close if not as good to the Meopta. Anyone else have opinions on whether that is a good decision?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 20:55
Why my Meopta does not have 3.5 inches.  Much closer to 3"
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bwilliams1848 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilliams1848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 21:01
Why am I leaning towards the Conquest over the Meopta? Eye relief need to be 3.5 for the gun I want to put it on.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 03:41
My hunting partner has the same scope on his 300H&H rifle, and is doing fine.
We have measured, and the way he has his scope set up, the eye relief is 80 mm / 3 1/8".
His rifle is a rather heavy BRNO ZKK 602, but on a light 35 Whelen, this might be a little short.

A pity because this is a great scope for the money with very good low light capasities.
If possible, I would before making a final decision, try to mount the scope on the rifle and measure the eye relief.

Seawolf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic