OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any reviews out yet for the Viper 1-4 PST?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any reviews out yet for the Viper 1-4 PST?
    Posted: January/28/2011 at 18:51
Can't seem to find any "real" or professional reviews yet on the Viper PST 1-4 scopes?  Not the HD pricey model, but the $500 one - interested in mil/mil MRAD reticle one.

Looking at using it on my AR and replacing an Aimpoint Micro.

Can anyone help me find some good write-ups?

Thanks!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 18:54
I am waiting for the SS1-4.  Having personal experience with that, it is worth the $$ and the wait.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 21:34
+1 for the SS 1x4. I'll definitely be asking the wife for one of these on my next birthday. 

I like most of the Viper PST line, but the SS 1x4 wins this battle in my opinion.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 09:41
If the SS isn't even out yet, how can it win out?

I have 2 SS 3-9x scopes and love them, but right now since the Vortex is out and the SS isn't . . . . .

Is there a big difference between the two?  Is one a FFP and the other a SFP?  I assume different reticles.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 09:50
Rancid was one of the first to get a look at the SS 1-4 and he had one last year when I dropped by and talked to the guys at SWFA  in Dallas. The SS is FFP look at the photos of the way the reticle works.  I just have a hard time getting excited about a 1-4 power anything but I love my 1.5x compact ACOG and my 3x ACOG  so Im sure there are a lot of guys who will love the 1-4 SS

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 10:42
Originally posted by greywolf greywolf wrote:

If the SS isn't even out yet, how can it win out?

I have 2 SS 3-9x scopes and love them, but right now since the Vortex is out and the SS isn't . . . . .

Is there a big difference between the two?  Is one a FFP and the other a SFP?  I assume different reticles.

The SS are in transit to SWFA now, customs hold ups at the moment last I heard, (not saying this is the case but what i remember reading and releyed to me last) They will be shipping hopefully in the next few weeks.  I would wager to say that the time the pst 1-4s get shiping to new orders the SS would be at the same time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 11:10
As Ufriend said, though not out yet, I have first-hand experience with them and would say they are worth the $$.

I haven't had hands on the PST yet, but my money is going to the SS.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 12:45
There is considerable price difference between SS and PST 1-4x24 models.

Figure out how much you are willing to spend.  If you are do not want to spend more than $500, then PST is almost the only game in town (although I liked the HS version of 1-4x24 a little more).

If you are willing to spend a little more, than options open up a bit.

ILya
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 14:46
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

As Ufriend said, though not out yet, I have first-hand experience with them and would say they are worth the $$.
I haven't had hands on the PST yet, but my money is going to the SS.  

So does that mean that you are completly biased towards SS? If you haven't had hands on the PST and are blindly saying your money is going to SS, how do we trust your opinion?

Im not trying to be a jerk, but im really confused on what to buy as a first time scope buyer and seeing something like this doesn't help.

I think I have been getting a lot of great advice and have learned a lot in a week of talking to people on here that are so willing to help. However this smells like a bit of a homer job.

Sorry in advance if I misunderstood something or am missing out on somehing.
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 14:52
I shouldn't have said blindly since you have seen the SS but rather one sided. And im sure you are going on a wealth or experience in dealing with other Vortex scopes but it just seemed strange to me.
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:09
Haven't seen the SS yet, but got to look at a PST so I might as well defend it. I personally wouldn't pay more for less features and similar glass, but thats me. I understand the SS is available in FFP but in a 1-4x24 scope I don't need FFP. The PST would be my personal choice, but i'm sure the SS is a damn fine scope as well. It all really depends on your budget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:13
First, I said "my money."

Next, this is a fairly old thread and much has changed since the initial statements.
Finally, I tend to buy based on experience, meaning the product and the company.

I am not bias toward the SS. Having owned/used almost everything on the market in1-4, I know the landscape pretty well. And now that the PAY is out, as is the SS, I stand behind the recommendation.

The SS is worth the $$.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:16
The SS is fantastic.  I liked it so much I bought two of them, and would like two more of them.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:20
Flanny watch your step on this:  Rancid Coolaid is the one person on this forum who has personally owned and used virtually every high quality tactical scope made.  He is an end user of tactical products and by no means influenced by any factor other than the usefulness of the product.

The fact is:  He got to test the scope hands on long before I even got to see the basic info on it.  He has hands on experience with the Super Sniper HD 1-4 and at this point several of other people now also have that optic. I have had a Viper PST scope in hand and I do not believe it compares to the level of quality of the Super Sniper 1-4 HD.  As for "how do we trust your opinion"  --   Rancid Coolaid has earned the respect of those of us who have been here a long time because his advise is consistently good.  You however have not even clearly  states what your intended use and weapon system is so you might start there.    

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:53
I understand where you are coming from. And I figured it was on past experience. But its not really fair to recommend something when you haven't seen what you are putting it over. For someone like me that has used neither and really is in the dark about scopes it just seems odd.
Hell at this point I think I need to pick who I think is the most informed person on here and have them give me their best recommendation and go buy something. I am in the information overload part in the purchasing process.

Not trying to be disrespful
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:59
Do you understand why I said this:
You however have not even clearly  states what your intended use and weapon system is so you might start there. 
If you want advise on a scope start by telling us what rifle in what caliber and how you intend to use it at what distance.  If we understand better what you need might be we can then recommend one or more choices that you ultimately select from.  If it is for law enforcement or military application or hunting or 3gun or target or plinking - that makes a lot of difference in what is the correct choice.  The distance you will shoot also makes a huge difference.  The amount of money someone is able to spend often limits their choices and more money means better choices.  Try giving us basic info first.......

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:12
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Flanny watch your step on this:  Rancid Coolaid is the one person on this forum who has personally owned and used virtually every high quality tactical scope made.  He is an end user of tactical products and by no means influenced by any factor other than the usefulness of the product.

The fact is:  He got to test the scope hands on long before I even got to see the basic info on it.  He has hands on experience with the Super Sniper HD 1-4 and at this point several of other people now also have that optic. I have had a Viper PST scope in hand and I do not believe it compares to the level of quality of the zSuper Sniper 1-4 HD.  As for "how do we trust your
opinion"  --   Rancid Coolaid has earned the respect of those of us who have been here a long time because his advise is consistently good.  You however have not even clearly  states what your intended use and weapon system is so you might start there.    

Please don't tell me to watch my step. I didn't say anything in anger or mean spirited. He may be one of the most respected people on here and that is fine. I have read a lot of what he has written and used it in my search. But that doesn't change the fact that the recommendation was made without seeing the other product. In my mind it decreases the value of the information if it is done with a one sided comparison. He basically said that even though I haven't seen the PST the SS is going to be better. Nobody can say that makes any sense and be taken seriously.
Also its nice to have friends that will stand up for eachother so I respect you for that. But im sure he is more than qualified to say somehing for himself if he felt like I was attacking him.
once again I am not trying to cause problems or be disrespectful. But I am positive that I am capable of standing up for what I believe is right.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:28
Let us take it down a bit. No need to get hot. Any of us.

Flanny, Rancid never said it was better than the Viper. Not once. All he said was he has use the SS and he liked it well enough that his money would be going to it no questions asked. Looking at his experience and knowledge all you can take from it is that he feels it will stand up to all expectations that a mil/mil 1 x 4 scope would need to do, and he needs too look no further to be satisfied with his choice for spending his money on it. You can take that however you want.

It will be hard to have someone that has done a side by side comparison of the two scopes since they are both fairly new to the market. There are not a lot of either out there to have the chance to do it, unless you are just wanting to spend a bunch of money to compare the two scopes. Maybe someone that owns a gun store might do it, or after they are out a while someone that owns one of them may find someone near him that owns the other. Until then maybe you will have to live with one sided touting of each scope.

The thing I get out of these one sided comparisons are there are two scopes that fill the need for different people. I doubt either one would just make you sorry you bought it.

Edited by 308 Sav - April/07/2011 at 16:36
Gerald Baker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:05
All is well.

I said the SS is worth the money, based on experience - both with SWFA and with the prototype.
The PST is a lower cost option, I have experience with with multiple vortex products and have been general pleased, but I don't think the PST us in the same league.

I understand your concerns for biase. Know that I was asked to evaluate the prototype because I could be unbiased and would give honest feedback.
I recommend based on personal experience and only when it deserves an endorsement.

Am happy to help however can.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:39
Well said RC....Thanks for your input Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic