OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dakota Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dakota Rifles
    Posted: January/28/2011 at 12:56
Any experience or opinions on quality and dependability?

Thinking of ordering a Model 76 Safari for a couple hunts I have planned.  Wanted to get some opinions first.

thanks

P

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 13:44
Beautiful rifles and if there is a downside I would have to say that on average, their wood quality is lacking for the money. Their wood upgrades are very expensive. Lots of used 76's out there so finding one shouldn't be a problem. Take a look at say Hendershot's (sp?).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 13:51
ah, so your gonna buy one of those really expensive remingtons huh? cool!!Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:10

Remington my a** !     Big Grin

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pcrage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:21

Being a lefty there are few options in a dangerous game rifle that dont need work out of the box.  I heard Remington owns Dakota but thought they were manufactured differently...

Pyro, are you saying that this is nothing but a Remington action and barrel with nicer wood?  If so that would be a non starter for me.

P

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:23
no, im just saying that remington owns dakotaBig Grin
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:27
Remington doesn't own Dakota.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:30
Nice but very pricey. I was just drooling over a Model 10 at a LGS. I just CAN'T bring myself to drop that kind on $. I'd rather a cheaper rifle (Ruger, Kimber, CZ  or Winny for instance) with a top quality scope. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Remington doesn't own Dakota.

well the company that own remington does
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:40
Fiat owns Ferrari too, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a 458 Italia
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:53

Fiat owns Ferrari too, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a 458 Italia

dont get me wrong, i was just being a smart ass, i totally agree with you.Wink
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:55
so was i           Big Grin
pcrage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 15:59
Gotcha.  Did a little research...

Cerberus, a private equity soponsor owns a "platform" company called Freedom Group that owns several firearms and related product companies like Barnes bullets, DPMS, Bushmaster etc. 

Having experience with private equity they tend not to gum up the portfolio companies but provide the equity sponsorship for them to prosper in their own niche ultimately taking them public as a group at, hopefully, a higher valuation. 

The fact that remington and dakota (and barnes and bushmaster etc...) are owned by an equity sponsor does not bother me. 

thanks for the input.....
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 16:13
  No p,they're completely diifferent from a Remington action.  This is a Dakota 76 action which is more akin to the Winchester pre-64 and Classic actions.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 16:21
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Don't think that's "standard" wood. Beautiful rifle right there. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't at least a 5K rifle. Probably more like 6-7K
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 16:29

Don't think that's "standard" wood. Beautiful rifle right there. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't at least a 5K rifle. Probably more like 6-7K
  Yea, I was thinking 6500 or so... Gorgeous rifle in any event!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 16:36

You hit the nail on the head!  $6,795.00

Dakota 76 - Safari

Click Here to see a larger photo (click to enlarge) --->

< = ="http://www.dakotaarms.com/storePages/popup600.js"> In 1986, Don Allen and Pete Grisel created the Dakota 76. It combines the best features of the pre-64 Model 70 action with a Mauser-type extractor...along with a number of innovations that are strictly Dakota.

Today, the Dakota 76 is one of the most desirable hunting rifles in the world, proven on every continent, in every climate, and on every type of game. It has deservedly taken its place among the legendary rifles of the 20th--and 21st centuries.

The Dakota 76 is offered in Classic, Safari and African grades. They all feature controlled round feeding and positive extraction; the extractor, underneath the locking lug and positioned at the end of the bolt, opens fully to insure that the next round feeds smoothly. The three-position safety allows the bolt to be operated with the safety on. The one-piece trigger guard and hinged floorplate are machined from solid bar stock. Every Dakota 76 can be custom-tailored to your size and tastes, with a wide range of optional features available

Standard Features - Safari

• XXX fancy walnut, cheekpiece with shadowline, point wrap checkering on forend, ebony forend tip, barrel band and inletted Ken Howell swivel studs, 13 5/8" length of pull, 1" black recoil pad
  • Front island sight with flip-up night sight, rear island with blade
  • Standard, long, short magnum, long magnum and Rigby length actions, 23" barrel
  • Right- or left-hand configurations Approximate weight 8,5 lbs
  • Straddle floorplate with inside release, drop belly magazine with four-round capacity (most calibers)
  • .257 Roberts to .416 Rem plus, .404 Jeffery

SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 16:41

No p,they're completely diifferent from a Remington action.  This is a Dakota 76 action which is more akin to the Winchester pre-64 and Classic actions.

Nesika actions are part of the Dakota group.
http://www.nesika.com/
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 17:05

GOOD stuff!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 19:01
the wood is worth that
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic