OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

loctite base screws??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loctite base screws??
    Posted: December/15/2005 at 19:58
I just took shipment of a set of Talley fixed rings and base for my Rem model 7.  Real impressive stuff, excellent fit and finish.  Originally was looking to order the lightweight aluminum base/ring combo but they were backordered.  The fixed ring and base is more expensive yes, but I like the look of the vertically split steel rings and steel base.  ANyways my question is do any of you recommend a little blue loctite (removable) for the base screws?  This little .308 is no magnum and I've never loctited my mounts before.  What do you think?  
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 15:00

We recommend using clear finger nail polish. It holds firmly, yet allows you to remove your screws. Loctite is a

permanent installation and you must use a back-out drill bit to remove the screws, and you have to have the screw

holes re-drilled and tapped. VERY COSTLY AND DAMAGES YOUR GUN.

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 15:19
Good idea Steph, thanks.  On a side note I went ahead and mounted the base and screws sans loctite or anything else.  Good fit and looks solid.  Buggered up one of the 8/40 torx screws for the rings a little bit though.  Contacted Talley and they are sending out a couple replacement screws no charge.  Highly recommend Talley.   
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 18:27
Loctite comes in different colors which represents the amount of acrylic hardner in that type, In fact loctite has it so figured out they state how much stress there glues will take give each installation. Green is the most "waterery" and the greatest capillary action. It will suck right into a loose situation. Blue is the next as is thicker, Red sometimes called stud lock, and Black locite. Blue lockite works fine for all ring applications, and Red depends on the shooter. More important is that there is 100% contact between the base and the receiver, which is never the case unless you hand lap the bases to the receiver. Red loctite is very good at "filling" in this unevenness providing a 100% contact between the base and the receiver, then the screws are put in and "set"  by firmly bottoming the screw then while slightly twisting the driver (about 5-10 dynes/cm.) tap the end gently with about a 2 oz ball peen hammer. Black locite is almost as good as silver brazing and will hold 1/8 to 1/4 oz iron sights on a shotgun or something else without any screws. Clear finger polish does not work if you use any type of strippers during your gun cleaning process such a brake or carburator cleaner spray.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 19:42

Locktite has an item listed as a glue.  This a little easier to work with the service removable stuff.  This was recomended to me by a pistolsmith who has been in the business for a long while.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 21:04
Didn't know about the loctite "glue" but was planning to use blue loctite or even purple for the very fact it would be removable in theory.  Good to hear others like Dale backing up my thinking there.  I'm always looking for additions to this Remmy, my favorite rifle for whitetail deer and the occasional coyote.  I put a HS Precision stock on it, vastly superior to the factory Rem plastic stock and have a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest mounted in the Talleys.  Now with the Talley base and rings a new trigger might be next although the stock trigger is pretty good, I've got her set at 2 lbs.  This little Model 7 SS .308 will shoot 3/4" to 1" 3 shot groups with Hornady Light Mag 150 Interlock ammo all day. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2005 at 14:10
Dale is 100% correct in describing the mounting process and the proper use of various grades of Loctite. I will add one word of caution. Blue Loctite can stain some finishes ( blueing and Black T ) so only a little is needed for a secure fit. When properly adjusted, the stock 700/7 trigger is as good as any for a big game rifle. 

Edited by Roy Finn
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2005 at 15:35

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Shot a nice mature doe this season before deciding to change up the mounts.

Badger

Edited by bagderRed
samuel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2005 at 21:48
So the blue loctite is the way to go, and the screws can be removed?  What if you just used alcohol to degrease then used the nail polish? Thanks samuel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic