OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt & Bender 3-12X50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt & Bender 3-12X50
    Posted: December/15/2005 at 18:37

I have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12X50, # 8 reticle.  The full field of view eye relief is 2" not 3.70" as listed on the S&B website.  Two inches of eye relief is dangerously close when mounted on a magnum caliber rifle.  Have any of you S&B owners out there had this problem or is there something wrong with my scope?  My eyebrows are currently intact and hope to keep them that way.

Help!

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 11:30

Hi Longshot

I think that you should contact Schmidt & Bender, I just purchased a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 2.5-10 x 56. And it definately has 3.7" eye relief.

Regards Chris

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 12:34

Same here no problems...

Is it mounted and setup to give you the approx 4" of relief?

In any case if it really doing that get it fixed by S&B.... S&B is very helpful with any questions and or possible issues.

Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 22:31

Glock,

I sent an email to S&B and received a prompt response.  They asked if the eye peice from the power ring to the ocular lens was straight or tapered.  I responed that it was straight the full length of the eye peice and am waiting a reply.  They said that would help them determine the problem but I'm not sure how.  I'll post when they contact me with an answer.

noddah,

Actually I beleive the eye releif is not really determined by the mounting set up.  Even if the scope is mounted to far forward or rearward for the shooters physical build, he will still attempt to adjust eye releif to gain the optimum full feild sight picture available under ideal conditions.  I actually realized the distance was too close while mounting the scope and removed it to re-measure for assurance.

Thanks for your helpful responses - I'll keep you posted if your interested.  

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 22:43
i think, the eye relief got longer when they added the slant in the eyepiece. The slant came after the straight eyepiece. I would ask them if that is the case....
Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2005 at 20:40

Sako75,

You are correct.  S&B replied that the straight eyepeice was the older style and allowed less eye releif.  They said the eye peice could be changed to the new tapered style for $275.  I'll have to think on this one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic