OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swarovski z3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swarovski z3
    Posted: January/26/2011 at 19:13
Looking at getting a new z3 for my 270wsm. What would be better target knobs, to dial it in, or one of their bdc type reticles. Gun will be used for whitetails in bean fields. Does anyone know how much travel the target  knobs have. Will it be enough to get me out to 1000 yatds if I want to punch paper?
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 09:07
It will not have enough adjustment to get out to 1,000 yards. I would get one of their BDC based reticles if it were me.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 11:29
If you're routinely shooting out to 1k, I wouldn't even get the Z3 in the first place.  It's forte is as a lightweight, no frills general purpose big game scope with great optical performance. 

I wouldn't pick any Swarovski scope if I was planning to do a lot of knob turning. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 11:47

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 15:14
Ed, I see your working on your post count again.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

If you're routinely shooting out to 1k, I wouldn't even get the Z3 in the first place.  It's forte is as a lightweight, no frills general purpose big game scope with great optical performance. 

I wouldn't pick any Swarovski scope if I was planning to do a lot of knob turning. 

if it is meant to be a great big game scope, thats perfect. What would be wrong with this scope with one of their bdc reticles like chris suggested??
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 16:10
Nothing at all.  Swaro Z3 series scopes can certainly be used for the occasional long shot, but it all depends on how heavy your emphasis will be on "long range" as to whether it's a good choice or not.  For serious long range, it doesn't have enough internal adjustment, and the knobs aren't well suited for dialing in comeups.  It has a SFP reticle, so "no conversion" drop compensation can only be done at one magnification setting.  Even their Ballistic Turret models are only intended for coarse long range doping, not serious firing solution dialing.  The Ballistic Reticle will work for no knob turning drops if you put in the time to learn it.  Really, though, Swaros are "set and forget" hunting scopes that are superb for what they were designed for -- hunting.  If you plan to occasionally air one out, it's fine, and no doubt it's a superb hunting scope.  If, however, you're planning to do some serious long range precision work, there are much better tools for that job. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 18:26
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Nothing at all.  Swaro Z3 series scopes can certainly be used for the occasional long shot, but it all depends on how heavy your emphasis will be on "long range" as to whether it's a good choice or not.  For serious long range, it doesn't have enough internal adjustment, and the knobs aren't well suited for dialing in comeups.  It has a SFP reticle, so "no conversion" drop compensation can only be done at one magnification setting.  Even their Ballistic Turret models are only intended for coarse long range doping, not serious firing solution dialing.  The Ballistic Reticle will work for no knob turning drops if you put in the time to learn it.  Really, though, Swaros are "set and forget" hunting scopes that are superb for what they were designed for -- hunting.  If you plan to occasionally air one out, it's fine, and no doubt it's a superb hunting scope.  If, however, you're planning to do some serious long range precision work, there are much better tools for that job. 

I agree with Ted,

If you are serious about shooting a thousand yards a tactical style scope with a lot of internal adjustment is the ticket.

However, if this is a scope where you are hunting, and want to reliably extend your range past point blank, the BRX/BRH system looks promising.  That is why I ordered mine.  One thing you should know is that the BRH (Heavy reticle) version isn't all that heavy, it is just heavier than the extremely thin BRX reticle.  The BRX may get lost in low light. 

Dialing for range is not the z3's strong suit.

-Matt
pcrage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 12:09
I have two z-3's (amongst others) with the ballistic reticle and hunting out to 500 yds they are flawless.  Cannot speak to engaging hunting targets beyond that distance..but for the majority of shots you will likely be faced with while hunting this is a great scope.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic