OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

monarch vs viper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: monarch vs viper
    Posted: January/26/2011 at 18:03
Just got a new rifle 7mm mag. Now I need a new scope. Have a Monarch 4X16X50 on order with BDC. But now I find out Vortex Viper HS has a 4X16X50 coming out sometime this summer. I like the spot on tech. that comes along with the Nikon. But I have some Vortex Bios that have great Glass and the new HS Vipers have a 4 inch eye relief in witch was one of the biggest factors why I ordered the Monach. Should I just wait on the Nikon or go cancel and really wait for this summer and get the Vortex viper HS???
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 18:31
Tough call.

You could get the Nikon and use it.  If you like it, keep it.  If you don't ... sell it, and buy the Viper HS when they are available.  Any money your out you could just write off as "Monarch rent."  You could still get a bit of shooting in while you're waiting.
-Matt
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 20:07
I agree with Matt
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 20:20

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Jeff B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 16:29
Thanks at ton guys!!
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 01:02
I can't wait to get my hands on one of those Viper HS. The Long Range ones seem to be a great option. Also waiting for my Viper PST to arrive. I changed all my Monarchs for vipers so if I were you I'd wait for the HS to hit the counters.
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 08:33
I plan on getting my hands on one of the 4-16x44 Viper HS's as soon as possible! But the whole idea or "renting" the monarch is pretty smart if you feel like doing some shooting now.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 05:15
I just got my hand on the vortex hs, it just seems like a monarch update or modern replica except for the 30mm tube and the cosmetic differences on turrets, eyepiece, etc... kinda like the intensity line being replicas or updates of simmons 44mag or wtc. The hs though seems to have better optics in the sense that i could get it easier to focus on far off objects at high power, probably because of the 30mm tube or some updated feature from the monarch production line.
Seems logical considering they are made in the same plant and most likely use the same machines or technology in the process,..... i could be wrong though.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by FunShot FunShot wrote:

I just got my hand on the vortex hs, it just seems like a monarch update or modern replica except for the 30mm tube and the cosmetic differences on turrets, eyepiece, etc... kinda like the intensity line being replicas or updates of simmons 44mag or wtc. The hs though seems to have better optics in the sense that i could get it easier to focus on far off objects at high power, probably because of the 30mm tube or some updated feature from the monarch production line.
Seems logical considering they are made in the same plant and most likely use the same machines or technology in the process,..... i could be wrong though.

I didn't know the Viper HS hit the streets already.  Could you post a pic?
-Matt
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 10:55
um... I did not know the HS is available as well.  I have a backorder pending with SWFA?

Also can you clarify exactly what you mean by "they are made in the same plant and most likely use the same machines or technology in the process."

Thanks
Steve
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 08:24
Noboby  has one yet... Funshot is just talking out of his ass.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 01:41
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by FunShot FunShot wrote:

I didn't know the Viper HS hit the streets already.  Could you post a pic?
I don't know how to post a pic. Anyway, i got mine in the black market here direct from the factory. I just collect phil made scopes good or bad, somewhat of a hobby of mine. Most are just on display at my hobby room. The only phil made scope i use is the new monarch. 
Big Smile
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 01:46
[QUOTE=Stevesdl]um... I did not know the HS is available as well.  I have a backorder pending with SWFA?

Also can you clarify exactly what you mean by "they are made in the same plant and most likely use the same machines or technology in the process."

Thanks
Steve
[/QUOTE
I have no idea if they use the same machines or technology, i just assume they do because they are made in the same plant and they  look externally similar in some ways. The plant here does not actually sell the scopes, they just make them here. 
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 01:59
Originally posted by Midwest_Hunter Midwest_Hunter wrote:

Noboby  has one yet... Funshot is just talking out of his ass.
I feel offended but i do understand. Anyway, i am from the philippines, i get my scopes from people who have contacts from the factory. I don't know if they are already in the market or not there in the U.S. I think i may have also gotten my timberline before they hit the market. 
Now i'm even doubting myself if the vortex i got is the HS since i just put it on the shelf with other phil made scopes i have when i got it after scrutinizing and playing with it a bit, did not even mount it on a gun, anyway it's a SF model Vortex which i was told and assume is the new HS model, have to give it a second look when i go home. Should i be wrong, would like to apologize in advance.Bandito
Anyway check out this thread in rimfirecentral forum, it has a picture posted also by a fellow Filipino of the new vortex coming out of the plant, similar to the one i got.http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372985

Edited by FunShot - February/02/2011 at 02:24
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 07:37
Hmmm.  wonder if vortex knows there are scopes being smuggled out the plant they hire to build their scopes?  Bet they will now
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 09:45
I guess my only thought on this matter is this: 

When I ordered my scope, I called SWFA and asked when they thought the scopes would be in for delivery, it was first kindly mentioned that the original thought was this scope would not be available till "late 2011". 

That shocked me.  I pointed out that the SWFA site mentions "Summer Delivery", to which the professional and kind reply was, "our site does say that". I sensed some confusion in the answer. Understand though that I am not slamming SWFA, just stating what I experienced.

I was somewhat disappointed and so I called Vortex. I received a very professional and polite person and I explained my now confusion and concern. To me, "late 2011" won't cut it. that is hunting season. Vortex rep mentioned that they honestly really do not have "a specific date" as to when these scopes will get shipped. It was also mentioned that the first shipment was only for 400 HS scopes!!  So one will also wonder if "their order" falls into that first 400???

Everyday I am wondering if I should wait or if I should go ahead and get one of the 6.5-20x44mm in BDC reticle while they are still available.  The only 2 major issues that keep me from getting this latter scope now is the eye clearance and the lowest power of only 6.5. If a quick 25-50 yard shot presents itself, I might not be able to focus on my target!!

I have never had to wait a half of a year or more for something that is advertised for sale and somehow that has a little bit of a "not right" sound, at least to me.

Now we see someone suggest, brag, mention, what ever you want to call it, that they have one from the black market.  How many others have one from the black market. Where is the strict inventory control.

Just my thoughts, I am having some doubts about all this now. sigh!

Stevesdl
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 09:56
The plain and simple truth is that nobody knows when they will arrive for sure..... If you want a definate, go with something already out and shipping.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 22:53
Originally posted by Stevesdl Stevesdl wrote:

I guess my only thought on this matter is this: 

When I ordered my scope, I called SWFA and asked when they thought the scopes would be in for delivery, it was first kindly mentioned that the original thought was this scope would not be available till "late 2011". 

That shocked me.  I pointed out that the SWFA site mentions "Summer Delivery", to which the professional and kind reply was, "our site does say that". I sensed some confusion in the answer. Understand though that I am not slamming SWFA, just stating what I experienced.

I was somewhat disappointed and so I called Vortex. I received a very professional and polite person and I explained my now confusion and concern. To me, "late 2011" won't cut it. that is hunting season. Vortex rep mentioned that they honestly really do not have "a specific date" as to when these scopes will get shipped. It was also mentioned that the first shipment was only for 400 HS scopes!!  So one will also wonder if "their order" falls into that first 400???

Everyday I am wondering if I should wait or if I should go ahead and get one of the 6.5-20x44mm in BDC reticle while they are still available.  The only 2 major issues that keep me from getting this latter scope now is the eye clearance and the lowest power of only 6.5. If a quick 25-50 yard shot presents itself, I might not be able to focus on my target!!

I have never had to wait a half of a year or more for something that is advertised for sale and somehow that has a little bit of a "not right" sound, at least to me.

Now we see someone suggest, brag, mention, what ever you want to call it, that they have one from the black market.  How many others have one from the black market. Where is the strict inventory control.

Just my thoughts, I am having some doubts about all this now. sigh!

Stevesdl

Sir, i just would like to say that i am not bragging. I was just giving my quick comment on the scope as honest as i can so as to help potential buyers decide to get one or to pass one up. Why would i brag about a vortex scope, it's just a middle of the line scope and is made in the philippines. You could check my comments on this forum or on rimfire central on various phil made scopes, i never even gave solid praises for them. Having getting my scopes on the black market, i pay a whole lot for what they are worth as with fellow Filipino shooters i know. I know people here who pay 1000 dollars for scopes worth 500 because it's the only option we have aside from buying entry level chinese scopes also for double or triple their true value.
If i had a choice, i would buy a leupold, zeiss, or swarovski instead considering the money i put out to get them.
Again, sorry for whatever disappointment or confusion i may have caused, next time i'll check if the scope is out on the market before i give my comments.Smile
As for how many have them on the black market, i really don't know but i would say just a few. Usually scopes with scratches or some minor defect are the ones easily slipped out now. But as i've mentioned either here or in another forum, beware of philippine made scopes as prior to 2009, there were many scopes smuggled out of the factory. If your not sure of your dealer, or if the deal is too good, like a cheap new scope without a box, etc... that may be a smuggled out scope.

Edited by FunShot - February/02/2011 at 23:03
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2011 at 23:19
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Hmmm.  wonder if vortex knows there are scopes being smuggled out the plant they hire to build their scopes?  Bet they will now

My guess is that vortex already knows as does nikon, bushnell, burris, etc... That's why new protocols were implemented and as from what i know, certain people from  the syndicate that was smuggling the scopes out where already incarcerated.
With products like this, i guess it's common every now and then that someone will smuggle something out. Nothing new here or anywhere else, most likely someone, somewhere got a product before it hit the market whether it be optics or electronics. Wink

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 05:53
Originally posted by Midwest_Hunter Midwest_Hunter wrote:

I plan on getting my hands on one of the 4-16x44 Viper HS's as soon as possible! But the whole idea or "renting" the monarch is pretty smart if you feel like doing some shooting now.

If you buy (rent) the Monarch from SWFA, they will give you a very fair trade-in price toward the purchase of the Viper.  It would be the cheapest rent you'll ever pay! Smile
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic