OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illminated scopes reliability--Your experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illminated scopes reliability--Your experience
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:35

Trying to pick a new scope (my first illuminated)... I read on the net (here and elsewhere) that Burris and Leupold have spotty reliability records.The most experienced shooter I know who used to sell scopes and other shooting supplies for years (now retired and sold his business) states that the only scopes he thinks have reliable illumination are Trijicon (he owns many awesome scopes from Zeiss, Leupold ans Swarovski--most not illuminated).

I wonder if his info is dated since he's been retired for a few years now.

What are your experiences with $250-1000 illuminated scopes in 1-4x, 1.5-6x and similar re; reliability? Going on an AR.

Also, I have read that many scopes are not daylight visible--a secondary concern. 
fairchase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:44
I don't know how they are made , but I would think it's something else to seal against things getting in and out.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:50
Just sent my Burris Signature 3-9x40 back to get the electro-dot fixed, I think it was the switch the way it quit. Have another like it,  no issues yet.
Daylight capability of the ill. dot is not a factor for me.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 00:26
I've had no issues with Aimpoint.
moeman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 00:49
I'm sure Aimpoints are rock solid... The Swedes make the best red dot, no question.

But i'm looking for a variable scope not a red dot. For a fixed scope, I'd buy an ACOG and be done with it...

But i want 1-4x or 1.5-?X mybe even 2x-?x but not an 3-?X

penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 03:52
I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4 with illum dot and #4 reticle.  The illum was completely reliable for the year or so I had it on a 5.56 AR.  They're nice scopes and can be had at good prices right now.  I sold it to help offset the cost of another Accupoint, which I prefer.

I also have a Bushnell 2.5-10 with similar reticle which has been completely reliable.

Neither of the illum dots are much help in bright daylight, but the #4 reticles are bold and easy to pick up.  The dots are great for night hunting, though.

I have three different models of Accupoints, and I prefer them over the battery illum.  Red or green triangle reticles are highly visible and easy to pick up.  The dots are as well, but they're smaller.  I've had no troubles with the Accupoints' illum. 

The only other illum reticle I've had was on a Nitrex;  you can read my earlier posts about the problems I've had with it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 06:49
Trijicon accupoint 1-4 if you don't wanna hassle with batteries. If you want one that does wait for the new SS 1-4 it will be awesome! and as the others are tough as nails!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 10:03
Burris has not been reliable for me, pass

Trijicon has been 100% reliable and they have it RIGHT

I have one of the new Leupold Firedot 2-7s coming, I really, really hope they hold up
only time will tell for them

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 10:31
Day illumination is more important if the recticle is very fine, and you are moving between outdoors and buildings. Another factor is how the illumination "flashes" going from a  bright outdoor source to a dark room. A good system will blend well, giving a good "black"reticle in bright areas then when sweeping into a dark area, the red illumination will not cause either a wash out, or make your eye dilate to compensate. Reticles that have a lot of hash marks for hold over are sometimes worse as there is more red area to be lit up and the chances of washout are higher (why are there 600 and 800 yd hold overs in 4x scopes? beats me). Dot scopes regardless of brand with no reticle back up will wash on snow and sometimes red brick. Some of the newer stuff like the firedot were built to address some of these problems. Both the 1x4 and 2.5x10 nf work well but are a little more than your budget, the spr leo works well. As far as durability goes, the slamming, and rough use goes on even while the illumination is turned off. Acog while a good unit, is neither a variable or has the eye relief
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:24
I've not had any reliability issues since I started buying a few lit reticle scopes about 5 years ago.  However, all my illuminated scopes are in the Trijicon Accupoint price bracket and above, so I don't have firsthand experience with the lower priced illuminated scopes. 

As a general rule, if you want lots of bells and whistles on a scope AND low price, you're kinda inviting problems.  The lower priced the scope, the better off you are selecting a more basic vanilla scope with fewer extra features.  There's no way a manufacturer can incorporate stuff like illumination, fancy reticles, side focus, high magnification, target / tactical turrets, etc. and still sell at a low retail price without cutting some serious corners elsewhere.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:40
I have  a Hensoldt, best scope I own, best scope I've used, it is on its way back to Germany now for an illumination issue.

Anything mechanical or electronic can fail.  Some are much better than others, but even the very best can have issues.

(Hensoldt's Customer Service has been good thus far. First time used.)

Trijicons are all but bomb-proof, for 11 years, that is; then they need recharging.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
moeman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 12:59
I'm told that a Trijicon tritium replacement is about $450 (info from gunshop)...  Can anyone verify this?

I've replaced tritium night sights (w/in 10 years and someday will have to do the same on my Luminox watch in acouple of years (6 years and its fine but definity dimmer)...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 13:55
I would call Trijicon directly and ask

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 14:40
Keep in mind that even when the tritium "burns out" in an Accupoint, the fiber optics picking up ambient light will still power the reticle well into late afternoon/ early evening.  You just won't have illumination after dark.  That fact may make it not worth having the tritium replaced to some.

I have a hard time believing it's that expensive to replace the tritium, but maybe it is.  If so, that might sway me from having it done, as that's half the price of a 2.5-10X56!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 05:45
11 years would be the half life of the Tritium, so more like 20 years. Either way I've not found the Tritium to be of much use unless you're in a cave. The fiber optics are plenty. I'm not in an area that allows night hunting though. The Tritium vial is under the plastic cover with the fiber optics. It's the bump in the fiber optic covered in heat shrink. Two screws and you're there. I can't imagine it would cost much to replace.

Edited by jetwrnch - January/27/2011 at 05:46
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 06:01
I just found the Tritium vials for $11 shipped in your choice of color. This makes it a DIY job if you're handy with heat shrink.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 06:42
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

I just found the Tritium vials for $11 shipped in your choice of color. This makes it a DIY job if you're handy with heat shrink.
Where?
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 17:11
I'll have to send a PM. Not sure if I can't list the seller here even though they are not competing with SWFA. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 18:00
Only issue I have had with illumination is my burris. Works fine, just sucks batteries down super fast. My Aimpoint never has a problem. The tritium sights I have and have seen are great. Finally had the ones on my first Springfield go out. Need to get new ones.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 19:59
I've had wonderful luck with Trijicon. Acceptable performance with Leupold Mk4.  Wonderful luck with Aimpoint.  less than satisfactory performance with Bushnell illumination.  It's been around long enough to where they are starting to be pretty consistent but the Trijicon tritium plus fiber optic cant be beat.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic