OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Back to the Hunter Wicked Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to the Hunter Wicked Optics
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:34
Ok, right out of the gates, I have to ask you Burris gurus; Fulfield II, is that a pretty decent line?

I ask because after doing some reading around and looking for info on this Hunter Wicked Optics line that my local gun store carries, much of the information that I found pointed to the fact that Burris had partnered with Hunter (who is not an optics based company) and designed their Hunter Wicked Optics line off of their Fulfield II design.

Sure enough...if you look at the two compared side-by-side to one another, they look VERY similar and share many of the same features.

Many of you may remember back at my comparison between the HWO 3-12-42x at my gun shop and the Elite 4200 that I had recently purchased.  Each had it's strong points and weaknesses compared to one another with the 4200 edging the HWO out by a margin.

BUT, for $190 now, after additional sales incentives, this HWO MAY be something worth a try; especially since Hunter Company has coupled them with unconditional replacement warranties if, for whatever reason, the scope fails to live up to it's standards.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:53
I dont know anything about the hunter optics, but the FFII is a very decent scope and about as tough as nails In my experience with them.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:25

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Electro-Dot Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200156
  • Matte
  • Electro-Dot
  • 1"
  • Digital Dimmer
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • Normally $329.95
$199.95

Burris 3.5-10x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope LRS Ballistic Plex Burris 3.5-10x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200176
  • Matte
  • LRS Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Digital Dimmer
  • Normally $429.95
$249.95
Add Burris 3.5-10x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope to Cart 
Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200188
  • Matte
  • LRS Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Digital Dimmer
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Normally $479.95
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:28

I have not been really pleased with Burris customer service.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:32
If going to my back up optic it is usually my 4.5-14 FFII It is almost as clear as my Zeiss. The Pentax is another scope using the FFII technology. I have never had any experience with the Hunter line.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 06:02
Thanks guys.

If I get a few more positive FulField II reviews out of you folks, I may be heading to the gun shop and picking up one of those HWO scopes to try out.

Already did a side by side compared to my 4200, and if those Fulfield's really stack up out in the field, then soon, I will be letting you guys know how the HWO stands up with doing it's job; taking heavy recoil and allowing for accurate shot placement over and over again.

One of the most attractive features about the scope (other than I really liked the looks) was the exceptional eye relief that, specifically, the 3-12-42mm offered even on the 12x setting.

The glass was good and clear and I really liked the out of the box reticle on it, as well.  

Like my comparo said...the only thing that has me a little leery is that adjustable objective, though it may not ever be an issue at all, just a little quirk of mine. 

Guess we'll see!
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 07:19
I have been using a 3x9x40 Burris FF II for about 8 yrs. or more and it is tough as nails.  I love it.  I am sure there are better out there but my FF II works great for me and I would not trade it. 
31 bertram
31 bertram
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 09:17
With the Burris scopes on close out why chance it? Why not just buy the real thing? I would think if you go to sell either in the future you're going to get more for the Burris.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 09:21
Originally posted by EchoWhiskeyOne EchoWhiskeyOne wrote:

Thanks guys.

If I get a few more positive FulField II reviews out of you folks, I may be heading to the gun shop and picking up one of those HWO scopes to try out.

Already did a side by side compared to my 4200, and if those Fulfield's really stack up out in the field, then soon, I will be letting you guys know how the HWO stands up with doing it's job; taking heavy recoil and allowing for accurate shot placement over and over again.

One of the most attractive features about the scope (other than I really liked the looks) was the exceptional eye relief that, specifically, the 3-12-42mm offered even on the 12x setting.

The glass was good and clear and I really liked the out of the box reticle on it, as well.  

Like my comparo said...the only thing that has me a little leery is that adjustable objective, though it may not ever be an issue at all, just a little quirk of mine. 

Guess we'll see!

id take the 4200 over the ffII any day. if you hunt in cold weather you will hate the FFII
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 10:52
I think you can kiss your money goodbye if you go with the Hunter Wicked Optics based on the idea it was made based on a FFII design.  It probably won't have the name recognition of a BSA or the resale value of one which isnt much.  There are good deals on both Burris and Bushnell and Vortex right now and if you select the Hunter over those you deserve to learn through experience.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:00
Yes, I'd go with the Burris as you can always resell it later and know it's a quality scope. I've never heard of a Hunter Wicked Optics, and to be honest, I wouldn't give $30 for one just because I have no idea if it's really made by Burris or not. I think a lot of guys feel this way, and buyers will feel this way if you ever want to sell it. Where on the other hand I know what Burris is, I know their scopes are good, and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more than $30 for a used one. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:00
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Close-Out Special, 50% OFF
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
  • 100 to 400 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a 50, 55 & 62 grain .223 bullet
$169.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 12:40
Just because it looks like a Burris and even maybe made by them does not mean it is the same. I kept hearing this rumor in the past that the Burris Fulfield package with if I remember correctly a GPS unit was not the same as the one without the GPS unit. Both have the same magnification range and objective size, but different quality. I heard that here and elsewhere as well. But I am not sure if that was true or not. Maybe someone else here can comment on that.

I have a hard time with the concept that Burris will relabel one of their scopes or sell the design and allow it to be sold for less than they do.

Also I do not know what you are going to use this scope for, but if it is hunting do you really want to chance missing a shot of a lifetime because you saved a few dollars on a no name scope?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 13:36
Guys I think he more or less just wants to test the scope out.  Its his money. I've spent money on scopes that I knew weren't up to pay just to see what they were about.  Heck i have a WOTAC sitting on my desk right now I just got through some horsetrading and haggling, just to test out
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 13:49
I do not know how much the Wicked optics is but I just bought another 3x9x40 Burris FF II in the gloss for $119.95
31 bertram
31 bertram
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 04:22
I have several wicked optics scopes that I bought for air guns and I would say that their Ok for the money. Their made in Korea and the only rating I have ever seen on them had them listed in the same category as Bushnell Legend scopes.  The connection to Burris; the president of Wicked was a big shot at Burris at one time and when Burris got bought out he went to Wicked optics. I talked to the President of WO on the phone and he said he would put WO scopes up against any of the top of the line European scopes Loco. Like i said their Ok for the money and I would say their MUCH better then any of the lower end scopes. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 17:39
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Guys I think he more or less just wants to test the scope out.  Its his money. I've spent money on scopes that I knew weren't up to pay just to see what they were about.  Heck i have a WOTAC sitting on my desk right now I just got through some horsetrading and haggling, just to test out

You got it!

I'm not looking for the end-all scope for my .300.  I'm just looking to try out a product that, if it is even CLOSE to what the Fulfield II offered through it's tenure, MAY end up being a pretty good scope at a pretty good price.

I'm going to look around a bit more before biting the bullet, but it's looking like the purchase will be made and I will be abusing it with a magnum caliber rifle for a bit. 

I'll be cluing you guys in.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

id take the 4200 over the ffII any day. if you hunt in cold weather you will hate the FFII

I already have a 4200...I'm just looking to get test results from this HWO line to see how it performs.

A Zeiss Conquest is going to be finding a permanent home on my .300 soon enough.  
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

I've never heard of a Hunter Wicked Optics, and to be honest, I wouldn't give $30 for one just because I have no idea if it's really made by Burris or not. I think a lot of guys feel this way, and buyers will feel this way if you ever want to sell it. Where on the other hand I know what Burris is, I know their scopes are good, and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more than $30 for a used one.

I'm willing to bet that after 30 years of already proven reliability from brands like Bushnell and Swarovski at the time that Trijicon was trying to get on their feet, people were saying the same thing about them.

It takes time and people willing to give a brand a shot for them to succeed.

Sure, I MAY be eating a silver bullet and losing out on $190 bucks...but then again, I MAY be getting a GOOD scope for the money.

We'll just have to see.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic