OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-9, or Vortex PST 2.5-10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grnjeep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-9, or Vortex PST 2.5-10?
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:26

Looking to buy one of these for a general purpose rifle. Everything from hunting to target to SHTF. They both seem really close in comparison except for the Vortex PST has illumination, which isn't really necessary for me but probably nice to have. as far as build quality, glass, and durability, is there a clear winner? Or are they both pretty good scopes at that price point? Does one have better glass than the other? I would definitely like to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:41
Also one is FFP (the SS) the other is not. 

We know the SS is a great scope, not really many out there yet of the PSTs.  I have not honestly seen a single review of a 2.5-10x.  They are great on paper and will probably be great scopes, just not known for sure yet.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:30
until the vortex gets proven the SS will be better and a more desirable scope, not saying anything is wrong with vortex but i'd prefer more track record than they have on that line right now
grnjeep1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grnjeep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:37
Yeah, on paper the PST's look great. The SS has been proven, and looks like you can drive fence posts with it. I am going to ASSume the glass quality is about equal.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 20:48
ILya is in the process of writing a review which includes both of these.  That should offer a bunch of insight.

I really like the SS 3-9 but haven't seen a PST 2.5-10 yet so I can't really compare.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 08:27
I was in the exact same boat as you with the same 2 scopes for my MP15 AR.  After much comparing, reading, and asking questions of Jon A and others, I went with the SS 3x9.

It came down to:  which one could I buy and get on my gun at the time - I was tired of waiting for the PST to get the kinks worked out and finally get to market.  Now that it has started shipping, it still really doesn't have an established track record yet.  They are just too new.  Vortex does have one hell of a warranty and customer service, so that won't be a problem.  I have not had the PST in hand to compare.

Let me just say that all who offered opinions didn't steer me wrong.  The SS is all that!  It's proven, has a great track record, and just gets it done.  I couldn't be happier.  The glass seems more than up to the task for the ranges that I shoot my AR.  I am by no means an optics guru or expert compared to some others on here.  I've never had the opportunity to look through or use NF scopes or alpha glass of the $1500 on up variety.  That said, I doubt I'd trade or sell my SS 3x9 for anything.  For the money spent, I feel I got great value - it should cost more!

The SS is my first and currently only FFP scope.  I highly doubt I'll ever own another SFP scope other than for maybe on a .22 - which I have a Vortex Viper 2x7.  The FFP just seems to agree with me and I like it alot for my uses.

Some have said FFP isn't really necessary on a 3x9 scope.  That may be true, but I'm glad it's there.  At low power I use mainly the cross hairs, as I crank up the power I can range or adjust to my target not having to remember to be on the highest setting for the reticle to be accurate as with a SFP scope.  It's just one less thing for me to remember.

Ask yourself as I did, how soon do you want a scope?  One is proven, the other has yet to prove itself.

grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 00:23
i like the discussion here but why is everyone saying vortex is unproven as if to imply that it would not hold up to the same standard.  This talk is going to happen whenever new products are released, but i'm not aware of vortex ever dropping the ball so to speak throughout the history of their company.  even if they somehow made a bunch of lemons, it would be a zero issue with their best in the buz warranty and customer service.  lets not get over speculative here because we have nothing else to talk about.  looking forward to ilya's review.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 06:40
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

i like the discussion here but why is everyone saying vortex is unproven as if to imply that it would not hold up to the same standard.  This talk is going to happen whenever new products are released, but i'm not aware of vortex ever dropping the ball so to speak throughout the history of their company.  even if they somehow made a bunch of lemons, it would be a zero issue with their best in the buz warranty and customer service.  lets not get over speculative here because we have nothing else to talk about.  looking forward to ilya's review.
are you forgetting the first release of the PST's?  

We aren't saying they are bad it is just between the two most of us just don't wanna recommend something that isn't tested when the other option is built like a tank.

ILya is running a review of these two together, his input will be the most valuable for the optical comparison.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 09:46
Where the PSTs are a new design, there is nothing wrong with wanting them proven first.  Lots of new scopes have came out and flopped in the past.  Look at the IOR 3-18x snipers hide edition.  It took 4 different versions before they finally got a reliable one.  IOR has been building scopes for a very long time and still had problems.    
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 09:50
Originally posted by grnjeep1 grnjeep1 wrote:

Yeah, on paper the PST's look great. The SS has been proven, and looks like you can drive fence posts with it. I am going to ASSume the glass quality is about equal.

The SS glass quality is very good.  I don't have the 3-9x but do the 10xHD.  It is as good as anything else coming out of Japan.  It is not as good as the high end German glass, but they don't cost $2000 plus either.  It is really good none the less.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 13:52
I have two of the 3-9x42 Super Snipers and they are awesome scopes. I would love to have another of them.  The ViperPST has not hit the street yet. Is it a good scope - likely.  I would  select the 3-9 Super Sniper however where I see Vortex being interesting is their 4-16  model and I came very close to buying one of those but decides on a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 instead.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic