OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rapid-Z does it work??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rapid-Z does it work??
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 14:57
Im looking to buy a zeiss to mount on my tikka T-3 6.5x55 I've been thinking about buying the rapid-Z reticle I do reload so I could play with the Velocity alittle. I would like to hear from people that has used it in the field. I plobley would get the 3.5-10x44 rapid-Z 800 even though I wouldn't use it past 600 yds because they are the same price with a couple more lines.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 15:13
Yes the Rapid Z system works quite well, if you put in the time and energy to get it dialed in. The Zeiss directions on their website are effective. I would venture a guess that the subtensions on the Z600 would be easier to match to your 6.5 swede than the Z800 as the Z800 was intended for cartridges with flatter trajectories.
-Matt
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 15:47
the lines are the same to 600 yds. the 6.5x55 is perrty flat shooting when you handload in a modern gun. not smoking out of the muzzle but still moving along when others are slowing down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 16:33
The lines are labelled the same, but the subtensions are a little different. Zeiss recommends the Z800 for the Ultra mags, while the Z600 is recommended for "standard" calibers. The 300 WSM is listed in the standard category, and should be similar in trajectory to a hot 6.5 Swede.

www.zeiss.com/SPORTS

This page has their cartridge recommendations. The Swede is a fine cartridge. You can use the Rapid Z calculator with your favorite load to see which reticle would suite you best. Maybe the Z800 will work for your load.

You should post a pic of your rig when you get it together!
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 16:50
I think you would be better off with the z600 but use the calculator on the zeiss site to see what it says it suggest for power because the way their system works is the calculator tells you which power lines up best to you balistics.   On most BDC scopes you only use them at the higest power on this one you set a specific power then use the BDC.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:15

I thought the marks was the same to 600 the only difference being the 800 had more lines.

dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:23
with a 140gr @2700  optimize power is 9.89 with a 10x scope looks good in print if it will do it in the field.

Edited by dale.l - January/25/2011 at 17:24
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:31
got this off there site.  is this bad if you shoot mostly 100 yds?

All Zeiss Rapid-Z™ riflescopes without an adjustable parallax knob are
factory set to be parallax free at 300 yards. This is to help compensate
for the effects of parallax at longer distances. Please set your adjustable
parallax knob settings to normal for the appropriate distances

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:21
Parallax error causes more worry than it deserves, IMO.

I didn't do the math, but your parallax error at 100 yards with a 300 yard parallax setting will be minimal.  The parallax error will be non-existent if you have your eye centered exactly behind the ocular.
-Matt
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:37
what about @50 yards
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:43

Wes has given you very good info,but the math can be a bit of a pain,I did it on my Z800 using a Rem 5R in 308,I wound up ordering a Kenton industries elevation turret to make my life more manageable.I didn't realize the Z1000 was used for a .308 & Zeiss is not offering a change in the FL "Z" ret. line!Ignorance can be very expensive,do your home work before you buy,don't ASS_U_ME like I did.

Hope I saved you a little aggrevation.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:49
PS:
     Forgot to add ,the Zeiss" Z"plex does work very well with proper set up!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 19:28
Originally posted by dale.l dale.l wrote:

what about @50 yards

Not enough parallax error to worry about.  And again, none if your eye is perfectly centered.

-Matt
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 21:33
I was set on buying the rapid-z but with the Parallax set @300 yds I'm worried about accuracy at closer range. will I notice the Parallax at closer range?  maybe I'll just get the Z-plex
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:00

I was set on buying the rapid-z but with the Parallax set @300 yds I'm worried about accuracy at closer range. will I notice the Parallax at closer range?  maybe I'll just get the Z-plex

I think you are seriously overthinking this deal, especially with regard to parallax.  The scope has an adjustable parallax setting anyway, so if you want it different from a 300 yard setting, then change it.  Sure parallax can be a PITA, but don't complicate yourself by assuming it will be a problem.  If the gun and mounts fit you and your eye is properly centered, then it is really a non issue.

Personally, I load for four different 6.5x55 rifles, three WInchester Mod 70's and my own Ruger 77.  WIth 140's @ 2,750 sighted just past 200 yards, it is plenty flat enough to kill cleanly at 400 with out need for a laser rangefinder or whoever's ballistic reticle system.  SO if you like the Zeiss, and I admit I have looked at it fairly hard because of the adjustable range/magnification adjustment, go for it.  Just take the time you need to set it up right and get to know it.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:01
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I think you are seriously overthinking this deal, especially with regard to parallax.  The scope has an adjustable parallax setting anyway, so if you want it different from a 300 yard setting, then change it.  Sure parallax can be a PITA, but don't complicate yourself by assuming it will be a problem.  If the gun and mounts fit you and your eye is properly centered, then it is really a non issue.  The problem is really, in my experience anyway, at longer ranges.

Personally, I load for four different 6.5x55 rifles, three WInchester Mod 70's and my own Ruger 77.  WIth 140's @ 2,750 sighted just past 200 yards, it is plenty flat enough to kill cleanly at 400 with out need for a laser rangefinder or whoever's ballistic reticle system.  SO if you like the Zeiss, and I admit I have looked at it fairly hard because of the adjustable range/magnification adjustment, go for it.  Just take the time you need to set it up right and get to know it.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 22:39
I bought the 3.5-10x44 z-plex I don't think my shot will be far enough to take avange of the rapid-Z
dmatney View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 15:17

I just purchased/mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 w/Rapid-Z 1000 for my Savage 10BA LE .308 and I’m confused about the initial short yardage zeroing process (even after reading all of the Zeiss instruction materials).

When zeroing my Rapid-Z 1000 @ 200 yards (or in my case 1.35” high @ 100 yards) the instructions indicate that I use the center cross hair (or the 500 yard bar). My question is: When zeroing my scope on the center cross hair (1.35” high @ 100yds) - is zeroing done with the scope magnification ring set at the “optimized power” (13.46 in my case) as determined by the Rapid-Z Calculator?

I initially assumed that I would use the # 1 Bar and simply sight 1.35” high, but that’s not what the Zeiss instructions indicate.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic