OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruined hunt-lesson learned

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruined hunt-lesson learned
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 13:38
I drove 500 miles fron No.Ca. to high dessert Yot'e hunt in So.Ca.My freind who lives there has an area scouted for us to hunt.So anyways we get up at O;dark thirty and arrive at the hunt area just before sunrise.We decide to take a sight in shot to be to be sure our zereos are where they should be.My rifle is a Savage Model 12 LRP 22/250 with a SS. 16x scope.I shoot handloaded 50 gr.V-Max over 35grs. of Varget.These loads shoot a 100 yd three shot group with all holes touching.My first shot was the fouling shot.Second round felt just a little tight going in so "Like an Idiot" I put pushed on the bolt a little harder and you guessed it the bolt jammed,would not go completley in to battery nor would it open  I'am done at this point.My freinds rifle-a custom built by Pachmayer Mauser action bull barreled 22/250 a 17 pound work of art,scope is a Vortex Crossfire.I know,why that scope on this rifle?My freind is going through Chemo right now and money is tight.Anyways the crossfire has done a good job up to this point.He sets up to take a fouling shot and guess what the scope will not focus!The reticle is clear but the image totally fuzzy and out of focus and no amount of changing power,adjusting the A.O.changes anything,focus seems to be broke.So now we have two useless rifles.Lesson's learned.1 always pre chamber all rounds to make sure they fit.2 always have a backup rifle.3 always pre check your scopes.My rifle has 220 rounds of my hanloaded ammo run through it,but it only took one that was probably a little too long to ruin my day.I measure about every five rounds when loading but obviously this got by.As far as the Crossfire problem won;t know till Vortex gets back to my freind.I hope this sad story helps someone avoid this!
DSP Rock Harbor
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 13:42
Thats to bad.  You can always substitue a boot sole as a rubber mallet to get that bolt open in the field.  I have seen it done.
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 13:53
SVT,when we got back to my truck I dug around in my tool box and found a five pound dead blow hammer,it took three very stout hits to open the bolt and the case was still stuck in the chamber.Took the rifle to a gunsmith yesterday and he ended up pushing the bullet back into the case and hydraulicly pushing the case out it was really stuck!
DSP Rock Harbor
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 14:00
read the article layne simpson did in the latest issue of rifle shooter, about reloading.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 14:01
Dang!  glad you got it out.
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 14:38
Yeah no kidding I was worried.I called Savage and talked to Joe I guess he runs the repair shop and said it hapeens all the time at the factory and they usally can take a screwwdriver and prie the case out from the breech no way that was going to happen in this case.Thanks Pyro I will.
DSP Rock Harbor
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 15:19
Had that happen once. Fortunately it wasn't on a hunt. Just out doing some load workups. Glad you got it out. Bummer about the hunt.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 01:50
I had same during a shooting compt. Used a plank and a tyre lever to open the bolt. Luckily the case popped out. I now check my rounds for bolt close before the comp starts.

On my hunting rig I 3/4 size each case (as opposed to full resize). to make sure no such problems.

That is the school of life and the reason why old dogs are a bit wiser then the young pups!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 07:19
I'm surprised you didn't mount your SS on his rifle, sight in then shared it.  At least you would of had half a chance then!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 08:52
Originally posted by fishingfool fishingfool wrote:

Yeah no kidding I was worried.I called Savage and talked to Joe I guess he runs the repair shop and said it hapeens all the time at the factory and they usally can take a screwwdriver and prie the case out from the breech no way that was going to happen in this case.Thanks Pyro I will.

layne talks in the very beginning of the article titled " Trouble Free Handloads" about a trip to alaska last year that he made to take a griz. It was really an eye opener not only for me but for him as well. it really makes you step back and think about what you need to do at the reloading bench.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 04:06
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't mount your SS on his rifle, sight in then shared it.  At least you would of had half a chance then!

Excellent Now that is called lateral thinking!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 10:51
After all 500 miles is 500 miles!  If I'm there I want to shoot something!  Even If i had to make a slingshot!! Big Grin

Edited by budperm - January/27/2011 at 10:51
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 12:23
One time I was taking a neighbor hunting on my farm and I was running late. I bought 2 identical cases on sale awhile back. I put a .22 target in one, and my 30-06 in the other. Well in a hurry I grabbed my stuff, and ran out the door. Got to my farm about a hour from were I live, and guess what. (I bet you all ready know what I am going to say)         Lets just say the only thing I was going to take home that day was good story that he still reminds me of every time we get together for beer and hotwings. Kinda hard to get a deer with a pee shooter! The day was not wasted, I stayed with him the whole day and he got his first deer.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 07:23
The classic was with my dad. Whilst we were kids we had to do all the fetch and carry. So if we go hunting we would load everything.
Well,  we grew up and did no more fetch and carry. I picked him up for a hunt one day and we arrived at the hunt venue minus his ammo. Turns out he had  left it on the kitchen table thinking I (or someone other then he) would put it in the pick-up!!!
He grew up fast after that!!!

Edited by 8shots - January/28/2011 at 07:25
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 11:39
try setting in a tree stand during spring bear hunt with a pair flip flops on cause u forgot ur other shoes @ home. not a good jam
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2011 at 22:52
Hunting Bear in flip flops, now thats hard core!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 11:39
Naw hard core would be flip-flops, Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses.....music not required.
--Thomas Jefferson

KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 12:57
Dont forget the Margarita! Hell he wouldnt need a gun, just grab a fishin pole with a hunk of meat on the hook!
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 17:24
I did a deer hunt like that a few years back.  Drove 350 miles to an area south of Spokane, WA.  Got to sleep at 1:00 am, woke up at 3:00 am to get help my hunting buddy get his wife to the airport, then got the the hunting area with him at 5:30 am.  It was cold and raining.  Get to the back of the truck looking for my gortex jacket.......Yep, not there.  It was sitting safe and warm back at the house in Seattle!  I sat at my spot from 6:00 am until 8:00 am.  I left that hunt empty handed!
Far Beyond Driven
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic