OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Great hunting trip.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great hunting trip.
    Posted: January/25/2011 at 09:18
 Like i promissed several of you guys in September, here's the story of my hunting trip in October.

October 6th 2010, i boarded the plain in Copenhagen DK.with a big smile on my face. The final destination was Spokane Washington where my old friend (since 1987)  Leif picked me up.
We drove to his house in Coeur D Alene Idaho and were there around midnight. We were both exited cause we had planned, for several years, that we would make a two week hunting trip in the northern part of Idaho.  

My buddy Leif                                   

Oct. 9th we drove to our camp in the mountains, where a friend of Leif let us camp on his land, together with some other hunters. 
The first morning a BIG moose came trotting right through the camp, just looking at all the hunters like it would say " Guys .. you can't touch me" as if he knew none of us had a tag for him.

Moose

We didn't shoot anything in the mountains, but we had a great time hunting, and at the camp. I meet a lot of great guys, and it was a great experience for me to see how you guys do it over there. A lot different than what i am used to.
App. 4 month prior to my trip i started writing together with Jamie Wingler here in OT. He endet up with inviting Leif and i down to his place to hunt some of his honney holes like he said.

Here's Jamie on his quad.

The first evening we were out, we saw 20+ deer. A few were bucks but to far away.Next morning there was nada, but that changed in the evening.
I was glasing a draw ( don't know if it's spelled right) All of a sudden i saw something move to the left. 
It was a Buck..... As far as i could see, a nice one. 
Now... Here in Denmark we usually don't shoot more than max 200 yards. Many hunters don't even want to go beond 100 yards. This one was out on 325 yards so i have to say i was challenged.
Jamie came sneaking up behind me and whispered that he would be ready in case it wouldn`t work out.
I clicked up the scope and made my self ready, leaning up against an old fence pole.
He was halfway in the brush so all i could see was from the end of the neck and out. I would try to hit him in the middle of the neck, as close to his body as possible.
I felt quite calm and let the bullet go. The bullet would have killed him right there cause i took out the wind pipe, but Jamie ment i should give him another one. So i did and then he went down.

A happy hunter. 

The bullet hole.

What a feeling.... You all know how it feels, but this was special to me because of all the preparation, travel, long shot, etc. etc. and then finally i shot my first whitetail. 
We got him out and loadet him on the quad and rolled back to the house. 
Everybody was happy and we had a couple of beer comming our wayBig Smile. What a night. 
Jamies moms house is quite close to where we were were hunting, so she offert us to stay there and so we did. We enjoyed her good skills when it came to cooking and her great hospitality. 
Leif and i said so long to our new friends the next day, after a little long range shooting contest between
Jamie and i. I kind of got a little hooked on shooting at long ranges. Right Jamie ? Roll on Floor Laughing

We drove back to the camp in the mountains. I would try my luck on a Black Bear or an Elk, but it didn`t work out.
The Elk hunt did work out for some of the guys in the camp. Richard and his friend both got a nice one, there was also somebody who shoot a spike, but i don't know who it was.

Nice racks.

On the 20th of October it was all over. To bad cause i could wouldn't mind to have stayed longer. 
When i got back i made a European mount of my Buck. It now has a special place in my office, and i am often letting my thoughts go back to my trip to Idaho.

The mount.

A great thanks to Leif for all the work he did with the planning and all the favors before - during - and after the trip.
A special thanks to Jamie's mom and dad for their great hospitality.
What else can i say to Jamie but, Thank's Bro.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 09:27
Great story and pictures, thanks Claus!
Doug
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 09:31
Thats truely and awesome story.  Glad you had a sucessful hunt and made  a new friends as well.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 09:40
thats awesome!!Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 10:43
Yup I'll say this you did out shoot me that day. Big Smile Anytime want to come & try again your more than welcome your like family. Now what Claus forgot to bring up that friend Leif had never shot any kind of big. A week after Claus went home Leif came back down & shot his 1st anything. Look i cant get the pic up load with taking the damn page up sorry guys
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 15:24
Glad you had a great hunt. Great story and nice deer.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 15:51
Terrific story and pics. Ain't deer huntin' grand? Congrats to you Sir... GREAT JOB!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 17:48
Hunting memories last forever, glad you made good one.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:02
Fantastic!!!   Excellent

I love euro mounts, great choice... and the Coeur d'Alene area is beautiful (great fishing too)Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 18:22
Nice!

Excellent
-Matt
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 01:55
Thanks for sharing, great write up, great pics.
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 23:54
Pics won't load for some reason
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic